FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 01-16-2015, 04:17 PM

Default Steam Plant 1-15

Hi, Everyone. Left early to get to the Steam Plant this morning, only to find I was the 6th boat. The barrier was full, so I anchored near the bouys. Lucky for me they started rolling near me. I was able to catch this striper that weighed 10 pounds 13 oz. Caught a couple more that weighed about 3, and a 2.5 pound largemouth. All on topwater. I haven't caught a striper that big in about 3 years. Also - I've got to get better at taking pictures of my catch. After looking at the photo, kind of looks like a small one, but he was certainly a big one to me!

Also - I caught a couple of crappie upriver later in the morning. One was a blacknose, and when I was cleaning them later, I found eggs in the blacknose. I thought they couldn't reproduce. Does anyone know anything on this? Maybe they produce eggs, but they can't turn into fish? Or maybe I mis-understood about the blacknose crappie.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10 Pound Striper 1-16-2015.JPG (85.5 KB, 93 views)
Old 01-16-2015, 05:35 PM

Very nice. I've actually never tried to fish for them out by the buoys. I always throw over the barrier but I guess they have to get up that canal somehow right? At some point they have to be in the vicinity of the buoys. I may give that a try next time.

I feel bad for people who don't hunt and fish. They never get to experience God's creation the way we do.

SUMKINA Bait Company Prostaff
Old 01-16-2015, 05:55 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_learning View Post
Hi, Everyone. Left early to get to the Steam Plant this morning, only to find I was the 6th boat. The barrier was full, so I anchored near the bouys. Lucky for me they started rolling near me. I was able to catch this striper that weighed 10 pounds 13 oz. Caught a couple more that weighed about 3, and a 2.5 pound largemouth. All on topwater. I haven't caught a striper that big in about 3 years. Also - I've got to get better at taking pictures of my catch. After looking at the photo, kind of looks like a small one, but he was certainly a big one to me!

Also - I caught a couple of crappie upriver later in the morning. One was a blacknose, and when I was cleaning them later, I found eggs in the blacknose. I thought they couldn't reproduce. Does anyone know anything on this? Maybe they produce eggs, but they can't turn into fish? Or maybe I mis-understood about the blacknose crappie.
A black nose crappie is a black crappie....with one extra gene that produces the stripe down the back. It occurs naturally they are not a hybrid....and they breed like rabbits. Blue Cat Lake out at Williamsport is over run with them. They do best in deep clear water reservoirs but more and more of them are showing up in different lakes. TWRA has been stocking quite a few more lakes with them than in the past. A lot of folks think they fight harder than other crappie but there is no scientific evidence of this.

Regards
Old 01-16-2015, 06:21 PM

Thanks, Alpha. I must have gotten that confused with something else.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:02 PM

How early do you have to get there to get against barrier?
Old 01-17-2015, 12:01 AM

Before daylight. If you get there after that, its like standing in line at the grocery store. Ridiculous but comical at the same time. I've seen people lined up on the barrier and then some yahoo comes rolling up and noses in right between two other boats.
For the most part its peaceful and people respect one another.

Last edited by thehick176; 01-17-2015 at 12:04 AM.