FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 01-28-2014, 11:12 AM

Default how to remove red meat from striper fillet

this topic came up recently and i found a good video showing the procedure, easy and quick..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utwHVRQ8Kpg
Old 01-28-2014, 11:24 AM

Wow those electric fillet knives sure do make it a quicker process. My wife always make fun of how long it takes me to fillet any kind of fish but white bass and the one rockfish I ate take me longer. Other fish are pretty quick but could still be much faster with an electric knife! I put a lot of care into it to make sure I don't waste any meat and remove all the red. I may have to get with technology!

I never knew about splitting the fillet along the red line and stripping the red part out so easily. Next striper and white bass fillets will be much faster!

I feel bad for people who don't hunt and fish. They never get to experience God's creation the way we do.

SUMKINA Bait Company Prostaff

Last edited by jad2t; 01-28-2014 at 11:27 AM.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:48 AM
Master Trout Magnet

Great tip! I have filleted thousands of white bass and never thought about not cutting a little up from the skin. I would always shave the red meat off my filet...which is a lot of extra work. I knew about pulling the strip out but this has made my day...LOL. I will now start keeping more whites for myself.

Regards
Old 01-28-2014, 12:22 PM

I use an electric knife and love it. I have never tried that way to remove the red streak I always try and shave it off. That one I caught Saturday was a nice fillet but by the time I clean the red out it's not the prettiest fillet.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:15 PM

Noticed in the video, he cut all the way through the tail. I always stop before the tail, then flip filet forward and then slide knife under meat to remove the skin/scales. I find it easier to do this way, as one can hold onto the tail end while removing the skin. Never knew one could just pinch out the red line, I'll give this a try next time I keep any whites.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher01 View Post
Noticed in the video, he cut all the way through the tail. I always stop before the tail, then flip filet forward and then slide knife under meat to remove the skin/scales. I find it easier to do this way, as one can hold onto the tail end while removing the skin. Never knew one could just pinch out the red line, I'll give this a try next time I keep any whites.
I do the same thing. I find it easier to just leave the tail attached and take the meat from the skin that way.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxthejuicexX View Post
I do the same thing. I find it easier to just leave the tail attached and take the meat from the skin that way.
Yep! I do the same.

Mike
Old 01-28-2014, 05:54 PM

thats how i did mine, angle the knife up just a touch leaving that red meat on the skin. i didnt pull that red vein out, i cut it out, same different i guess, ya get the same end result.
that would be nice though to have a set-up like that to clean your fish and just chuck the guts and such right off the board into the water! LOL.
nice handy hose to clean up afterwards!
its an ordeal to clean fish for me. cover a table, get a board out, use an empty bucket and double up trash bags, then wait patiently for the trash man to come in a few days while your leftovers are stewing in the trash can on a hot summer day in the day! MMMMMMM MMMMMM!
Old 01-28-2014, 06:04 PM

Yep I leave the tail connected also.

Rather than wait for the trash man why not plant those scraps next to what ever you grow, just add a little lime in the summer or you will get a bubble up in the heat of summer.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:12 PM
Master Trout Magnet

My carcasses go into a very tiny creek behind my sisters house.There is not even enough flow to wash them away....but.....the next morning you can not even find a scale....LOL. Raccoons...hawks....and I guess other things clean it up very well.

Regards
Old 01-28-2014, 06:41 PM
Dakota S

I've only had a few stripers that I've kept. Both times I put them in the smoker. Really how good is striper does it taste like a largemouth bass? Which I tried one years ago didn't like it. I usually keep catfish crappie and Shellcracker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-28-2014, 07:38 PM
Woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
I've only had a few stripers that I've kept. Both times I put them in the smoker. Really how good is striper does it taste like a largemouth bass? Which I tried one years ago didn't like it. I usually keep catfish crappie and Shellcracker.

My friend the next time you catch one and make fillets cut it in to 3" squares and lightly season with old bay both sides then put it on a plate and cover it with a microwave plate cover and put it in the microwave set on high for five minutes. Make sure all the red meat is off before you put it in the microwave. Striper makes a great sandwich that way.................woody

Last edited by tacklemake; 01-28-2014 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNBronzeback View Post
thats how i did mine, angle the knife up just a touch leaving that red meat on the skin. i didnt pull that red vein out, i cut it out, same different i guess, ya get the same end result.
that would be nice though to have a set-up like that to clean your fish and just chuck the guts and such right off the board into the water! LOL.
nice handy hose to clean up afterwards!
its an ordeal to clean fish for me. cover a table, get a board out, use an empty bucket and double up trash bags, then wait patiently for the trash man to come in a few days while your leftovers are stewing in the trash can on a hot summer day in the day! MMMMMMM MMMMMM!
Wait...... have you been watching my cleaning process through my kitchen window?????
Old 01-28-2014, 08:01 PM
Dakota S

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacklemake View Post
My friend the next time you catch one and make fillets cut it in to 3" squares and lightly season with old bay both sides then put it on a plate and cover it with a microwave plate cover and put it in the microwave set on high for five minutes. Make sure all the red meat is off before you put it in the microwave. Striper makes a great sandwich that way.................woody

Very interesting I may have to try that

Old 01-29-2014, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNBronzeback View Post
double up trash bags, then wait patiently for the trash man to come in a few days while your leftovers are stewing in the trash can on a hot summer day in the day! MMMMMMM MMMMMM!
Oh dude you leave them in the trash? I always put a paper bag with the carcasses in the freezer until trash day then toss them.

I feel bad for people who don't hunt and fish. They never get to experience God's creation the way we do.

SUMKINA Bait Company Prostaff