FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > General Discussion > Sports Lounge - General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 12-30-2013, 04:36 PM

Default Hunting WMAs

Got back into hunting this winter and I was able to go quite a bit over the holidays while at my family's. Actually got a button buck on my uncle's land last Friday. Any of yall familiar with WMAs in middle Tennessee? Not looking for good spots; just opinions on if it's feasible to possibly walk around one of them for a couple days before the season is over and maybe get a doe or something for the freezer. Which WMAs allow rifle use? Any of them easier to access than others? I live in Nashville.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-30-2013, 05:59 PM

Percy priest WMA has tons of deer, shotgun or archery only. But you probably won't be alone. I haven't hunted it, but know people who fill their freezer every year from there. Just takes time and scouting.

Google Percy WMA map to see where is huntable.

Mike
Old 12-30-2013, 06:06 PM

Ditto on the Percy Priest WMA. I don't hunt, but I've been on the WMA for work. The game warden told me that there are way too many does in the WMA and wishes that more people would shoot the does instead of holding out for a buck. While working there, I saw deer and deer sign everywhere.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:58 PM

The only issue with me hunting percy priest is I'll need to go buy a cylinder and some slugs for my shotgun but if that's my most feasible option than so be it. Anybody ever been on Cheatham WMA?

Old 12-31-2013, 07:37 AM
TN Transplant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jallen67 View Post
The only issue with me hunting percy priest is I'll need to go buy a cylinder and some slugs for my shotgun but if that's my most feasible option than so be it. Anybody ever been on Cheatham WMA?

You can use a muzzleloader on Priest as well. Like others have said, there are plenty of deer and plenty of hunters. Just make sure you really study the map well before heading out.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:16 AM

Jallen - If you are not hunting Cheatham WMA you are making a mistake. Head out there for the remainder of squirrel season and scout while the leaves are down. You can really get a good feel for the lay of the land. It's a great turkey WMA and the deer herd is recovering from an EHD die-off a few years ago. It's a big area, use a topo map and select a couple areas with intersecting ridges and saddles and get in there and walk it. Learn a small section rather than thinking you need to focus on the entire area.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Jallen - If you are not hunting Cheatham WMA you are making a mistake. Head out there for the remainder of squirrel season and scout while the leaves are down. You can really get a good feel for the lay of the land. It's a great turkey WMA and the deer herd is recovering from an EHD die-off a few years ago. It's a big area, use a topo map and select a couple areas with intersecting ridges and saddles and get in there and walk it. Learn a small section rather than thinking you need to focus on the entire area.
This^^^^^.

Cheatam is Buck only though until the deer population recovers. Over 2000 acres of prime hunting land. Hunt it during the week if you can.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:50 AM

Cheatham is about 20,810 acres. Hand held GPS would be good if you wander to deep into it. Lots of space for everyone. Seen some large bucks out there.