FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Out Of State Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 11-14-2013, 08:46 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Default White River 11-14-2013

First day to fish and it was cold. Couldn't get browntrout to take any pics......maybe tomorrow. Had to run up to where the Buffalo comes into the White to find good water. The Norfork was really muddy. Only a couple of browns were caught but we got into a lot of fat rainbows......14-15 inch that were really eating good. Caught some male bows that had the hook jaw.....really colored nice. We were bundled up good but still cold. It was 23 degrees here at the trout dock and had about a 10 MPH wind. I tell I really love this place.....it is just a lot of fun. Hopefully will get a pic or two tomorrow.

Regards
Old 11-14-2013, 10:19 PM

Glad you are having a blast!

Mike
Old 11-14-2013, 10:30 PM

Are you guys crankin Excaliburs, TM's or the Lazy Ike?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-15-2013, 07:02 AM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutFiend View Post
Are you guys crankin Excaliburs, TM's or the Lazy Ike?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We threw XCaliburs.....Shad Raps....TM Trout Cranks.......River Rockers. We then started drift fishing using Trout Magnet trout worms....they killed that setup. But it seems the browns are all up River at the dam.....30 miles from where we are fishing. Our next trip out here we are going to book our trip with Gastons.....they are right at the dam.

Regards
Old 11-15-2013, 08:25 AM

Nice job guys. Looking forward to some pics.

Roy trying any zigjigs?
Old 11-15-2013, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis C. View Post
Nice job guys. Looking forward to some pics.

Roy trying any zigjigs?
We didn't throw any of them today but I think I threw everything else at them. We had dirty water this morning and it finally cleared after lunch and we caught a bunch after that. Cold and windy out here today.

Roy
Old 11-16-2013, 10:33 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Made it back home after an almost 500 mile drive. We had a slow start on Friday morning. The decision was made to go down stream to try for some trophy fish. There were no trophy size fish caught. The water was dirty but I guess the thinking was we might get lucky and get that big brown. browntrout did have a couple of monster follows but that was it. In the early afternoon we got into some clear water and started catching very plump rainbows. I was drifting a Trout Magnet trout worm and browntrout was having success with I think was a 2.5 inch Southern Belle Trout Crank. Earlier both of us had thrown all kinds of cranks and I wore my arm out casting the XCalibur's and when we got back to clear water I started drifting. We had a lot of doubles going on and action became hot. There are only two pics I have from this trip......one is the back of browntrout's head and the other is a speck of a bald eagle taking flight. Both of these pics were taken on the run. We saw far too many bald eagles to count and got to see two calling to each other from about 50 feet away from one another. We also saw two golden eagles...really majestic birds. As for taking pics you would have to be there to see why we didn't get any pics. If one of us had gotten a trophy we would have stopped but the action is so fast you don't want to stop to get a pic. If anyone is looking for some good cold weather gear I can suggest the new Under Armor Infrared Gear. Both of us had their new base layer and it is good stuff. It was 23 degrees the first morning and I had it on under a shirt and wore an insulated wind breaker jacket and it works great....I like it far better than the older base layer cold gear. Trip was a lot of fun and we caught a lot of fish.....pretty much had the river to ourselves. Our guide worked hard for us and I don't see how the guy does it day after day....he is 68 years old and loves the outdoors...I guess that's why he keeps doing it. Already planning a March trip....I love fishing on the White River. As for now it is back to crappie fishing for me.....life is good!

Regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Eagle IMG_0496.jpg (1.02 MB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg BoatIMG_0495.jpg (1.02 MB, 31 views)
Old 11-17-2013, 08:08 AM

Glad you guys made it back okay and had a good trip.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphahawk View Post
I love fishing on the White River. As for now it is back to crappie fishing for me.....life is good!
If you come down stream a little ways, where the Cache river empties into the White, you will find world class crappie fishing. You probably need to wait until after Feb 1, 2014 though. Duck season is on the eve of opening there and you have to be out of the area by 2:00 every day.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:00 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
If you come down stream a little ways, where the Cache river empties into the White, you will find world class crappie fishing. You probably need to wait until after Feb 1, 2014 though. Duck season is on the eve of opening there and you have to be out of the area by 2:00 every day.
Thanks for the info Pookie but I have several places much closer than Arkansas for world class crappie fishing. But will keep it in mind when I am back out there....and I will be back out there many times. I am hoping when the dam is finished at Center Hill the Caney will get back to the past years when it was full of plump...fat....14 inch rainbows on just about every cast. The Caney already has world class brown trout fishing probably as good as the White...but as with all these tailwater trout fisheries they are so dependent on the release from the dams.....and with all the repair work going on at Center Hill it has to be a detriment somewhat to the fishing. Plus the word is that with the repair completed on Wolf Creek Dam the trout fishing on the Cumberland below there could become better than the White....only time will tell.

Regards
Old 11-18-2013, 11:37 AM
Fishing TN Staff

Sounds like a great trip.