FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 09-05-2013, 09:21 PM

Default How to catch catfish

Ever since I caught a catfish on a cricket Saturday, I have been trying to catch a catfish. Since I have never tried to catch a catfish before tips would be appreciated. First off, where should I start? I am just looking to catch a few to take home to eat. What is good bait to use? How do I keep chicken liver from falling off every time I try to cast? When do I set the hook on the catfish? Thanks

http://www.setyourhookbaits.com/

Romans 1:16 Not Ashamed
Old 09-05-2013, 10:06 PM

I usually use chicken liver or dead shad. I understand where your coming from when you say "falling off the hook" some people might say to take some pantyhose and cut it into little sections then tie the chicken liver in it then put it on your hook. But my buddy showed me how to take sewing string and tie the liver onto your hook (I mostly use that) it helps from the smaller fish from taking your bait most of the time. And as far as catfish bite goes I can definitely tell when it's a catfish or a different fish just from the way the rod bends. Usually when a catfish bites your rod tip will go down instead of a quick motion I guess.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:39 AM
hogdawg

Chicken liver is an awesome catfish bait. I have found that if you can not use the whole piece, use a very sharp knife to cut it. If you tear it, it will fall apart really bad. When you cast try hard to lob it out and not cast real hard. Always put out a bigger rod with a small bluegill as bait. Flatheads and larger catfish love them.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:05 AM

Use worms,minnows or a small thumb nail size of shrimp and just fish where the brim are.
I would say cats are all over the shallow areas so you don't have to throw way out.

For me I would get irritated when using minnows under a float near the bank as I would always catch a cat when I was after Bass or Crappie.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:38 AM

Gizzards stay on the hook better than liver, but any pieces of chicken meat will work, as will shrimp.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:38 AM

probably more work than what ya wanna mess with, but i used to cut covers off golf balls and use the rubber band stands that make up the core of the ball. Not all golf balls are made like that and maybe they dont make them like that anymore, but that used to work really well to keep the chicken liver on the hook. Dont let liver get too warm or it will be really hard to keep on the hook, keep it cold and on ice.
and like somebody else said, dont "cast" it out with force, ya just wanna lob it out there.
ive had good luck with just minnows (dead or alive) fished on a simple carolina rig type set up. stick ya 3-4 minnows on a hook and chunk it out there.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:25 AM

I wore out catfish last Saturday on crappie magnets while fishing for gills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 09-06-2013, 01:07 PM

When I target catfish, I'll first catch a bluegill and cut it up into 1 inch pieces.
I'll use a med/light action rod, 6lb. test, #6 or #4 eagleclaw baitholder hook, small split shot, and float. Fishing from the bank, I set the float 4-6 ft. from hook, depending upon water depth, with split shot about 15 inches from hook. I want the bait just suspended off bottom. After casting, usually I'll only wait 2-5 minutes before moving the bait, if I don't get a hit.
Alot of times, catfish will take the bait in the first minute, if there in the area.

Good Luck
Old 09-06-2013, 09:35 PM

Thanks everybody for the advice, and thanks for the chicken liver tip trealtree, it helped greatly. I went to fall creek boat ramp and caught 2 little channel catfish probably 14 inches long, just what I was after. Missed about 3 more, and I only fished the chicken liver for about 45 minutes. Thanks for helping a beginner catfisherman learn how to catch a few catfish! Also, how fast should I reel a swim jig when I am bass fishing? I had one today about 15 inches jump off today and I was kind of reeling it slow near the bottom. After that about 5 cast later I got it snagged, and I had to wade into 4 feet of water to get it.

http://www.setyourhookbaits.com/

Romans 1:16 Not Ashamed
Old 09-06-2013, 09:40 PM

Go troll a bunch of crankbaits while pretending to fish for crappie. Guaranteed catfish and major tangles every time
Old 09-06-2013, 10:04 PM
Ben

Default cats love red crankbaits

cats love red crankbaits
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Texas Red.jpg (793.8 KB, 29 views)