FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 06-10-2013, 09:55 PM
nashvillefishingguides.co

Default JPP crappie 6/10/13

Fishing was slow on Priest for us this morning.

Started fishing brushpiles with minnows and bobbers at 6:15 AM. Tried three different places that normally produce. Picked up 6 keepers total.

After spending three hours to catch 6 fish, moved on to trolling crankbaits.

Using Bandit 200's, Bandit 300's, SJR 4's and 5's managed to pick up another 12 and numerous shorts.

A very slow day indeed, after last weeks total.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:10 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Sounds like a good day. With the water heating up I would think the crappie are changing their haunts.

Regards
Old 06-11-2013, 01:43 PM

Alphahawk,
they were there in the brushpiles, just weren't in a feeding mood.

I could easily see them on my graph, could tell the depth they were holding at, just couldn't entice them. I went to crankbaits to get "reaction" strikes. I wasn't getting much action at my normal 1.5-1.6 MPH so I kicked it up to 1.7-1.8 MPH. Then I started catching more fish. Once I started trolling over the same brushpiles, the action picked up......but comparatively, still was slow fishing.

And the bite started later in the day than it normally does.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:16 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by agelesssone View Post
Alphahawk,

I could easily see them on my graph, could tell the depth they were holding at, just couldn't entice them. I went to crankbaits to get "reaction" strikes. I wasn't getting much action at my normal 1.5-1.6 MPH so I kicked it up to 1.7-1.8 MPH. Then I started catching more fish. Once I started trolling over the same brushpiles, the action picked up......but comparatively, still was slow fishing.

Good you had plan B....C...and so on in mind. That's frustrating knowing they are there and yet don't hit....have read many articles about getting crappie to bite. Changing the speed was always the first one mentioned when trolling....and casting. One so called guru had 26 different types of retrieves when casting and would go through them all until he stared catching crappie....shoot I only have about 4 or 5 that I try...LOL.

Regards
Old 06-11-2013, 08:37 PM

Still sounds like you had a descent mess
Old 06-11-2013, 09:07 PM

I gave all the fish to my fishing partner for the day. He seemed to be pleased with them.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agelesssone View Post
Alphahawk,

I have had the same thing happen with schools of hybrids on JPP and Tims Ford as well. If a school is clearly marked and no biters, then I just keep moving. After marking a couple or three schools and switching up baits, colors, or speed I have gone back to marked schools 3-4 hours later and find them biting.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:53 AM

ageless, good report and good catching, were they on the deeper or shallower crankbaits? alpha, 26 retrieves...made me laugh!
Old 06-12-2013, 05:17 PM

We caught most of the fish on the Bandit 200. Had both out, three 300's and three 200's. Same colors of baits, just different depths. 200's outfished the 300's 2-1 so we switched for a total of five rods w/200's and one with a 300. The 300 in baby bass was a good producer so we left it on.

Tried to fish in 15-18 FOW most of the time.

I'm going to try spider rigging that same area before the weekend crazies get here