FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 05-22-2013, 08:21 AM

Default Share your boat

As I wheeled my boat and trailer towards the boat ramp, I noticed a young man fishing from the shoreline. "Doing any good?" I asked. "No sir," was his reply. After launching my boat, and parking, it hit me ... how many times as a young man did I fish from the bank and watch those more fortunate with a boat head out on the lake?
So with that, I introduced myself and asked him if he wanted to go out with me and fish a couple hours. I explained my fishing partner was a no show and I had an extra seat and he'd be more than welcome. He jumped at the chance and we headed out to my favorite holes of O.H. Come to find out, Ben, had only taken up fishing about a month ago, as I noticed his new tackle box and rod. When he figured out I've done this for awhile, he had a million questions. Then I heard the waters churning on the shoreline as spawning carp were doing their thing. Ben had never witnessed a carp spawn before. He was amazed at the size of the fish so I poled my flatsboat right into the midst of them. I rigged up a snatch hook on my catfish rod and showed him how to snag one. "Your turn," as I handed the pole to him. After about a dozen trys, Ben hooked and landed the biggest fish of his life ... he had a ball.
Moral of the story, next time you have an empty seat on your boat, share it with someone who doesn't have one...it will make their day.

Last edited by Saltwaterwalt; 01-28-2018 at 10:27 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:25 AM
Master Trout Magnet

Good stuff. Nice of you to do that.

Regards
Old 05-22-2013, 08:40 AM

What a good deed. I bet you enjoyed that as much as Ben.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:45 AM

That's awesome of you to do that and I bet that guy will be more into fishing than ever before now!! I've often headed out, by myself, with people fishing from the bank, but never even thought of asking any of them if they wanted to join me (I'm not a bad guy or anything...it just never crossed my mind). But you can rest assured the next time that happens I'll be extending invitations. Kudos to you!!
Old 05-22-2013, 09:00 AM
Fishing TN Staff

That was really unselfish of you. I'm sure more of us could follow what you have done and make memories of a lifetime for some people.

Jeremy
Old 05-22-2013, 09:10 AM

Walt, that was a very generous thing to do! I bet it felt good and I know Ben enjoyed it! This post puts a huge smile on my face!

Mike
Old 05-22-2013, 09:25 AM

That was very gracious to share a seat Walt.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:50 AM
rookie

That was a very gracious thing SWW!!, I can attest to that feeling as most of my life I have been the one on the bank looking at the fishermen on their boats wishing I had a friend with a boat and be able to go out and fish some new places for other kinds of fish, I bet this will put a smile on every person who reads this thread, very nice!!, kudos to you Sir!!
Old 05-23-2013, 08:36 PM

While I appreciate the kudos, its not why I did the deed. I'd like to sum up my gesture with one of my favorite quotes. He can say it alot better than I

“The things you do for yourself are gone when you are gone, but the things you do for others remain as your legacy.”
Kalu Ndukwe Kalu
Old 05-23-2013, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltwaterwalt View Post
While I appreciate the kudos, its not why I did the deed. I'd like to sum up my gesture with one of my favorite quotes. He can say it alot better than I

“The things you do for yourself are gone when you are gone, but the things you do for others remain as your legacy.”
Kalu Ndukwe Kalu
If this was Facebook I would hit the "Like" button. What a great deed.

Roy