FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 05-15-2013, 12:38 PM

Default Question for you Kayak anglers

Are you guys throwing your yak onto the roof rack of your vehicle - or do you use a small trailer ??

My kayak ( a Ride 115 ) about 80 lbs w/ nothing in it. And, although I can DO it , getting it on the roof easily..well... ain't really that all that "easy"

what are you doing ??
Old 05-15-2013, 01:27 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danocaster View Post
Are you guys throwing your yak onto the roof rack of your vehicle - or do you use a small trailer ??

My kayak ( a Ride 115 ) about 80 lbs w/ nothing in it. And, although I can DO it , getting it on the roof easily..well... ain't really that all that "easy"

what are you doing ??
I car topped for a while...then I sprung for a trailer. Makes my life much easier.

Regards
Old 05-15-2013, 01:43 PM

Back of my truck.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:43 PM

U can look on Craig's list and get a jet ski trailers pretty cheap and have a trailer that can carry a single or multiple yaks. That's what I plan on doing if I ever get enough money to buy me one.

Sent from my Droid Bionic complete with typos and sarcasm.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:43 PM

I have a small 1994 Toyota Camry, so I can relate. When I first bought my kayak, I had some back pain and I was petrified that lugging my Coosa around would be a non-starter. Many kayaks are not that heavy, but they can be an awkward 70 pounds.

I use a Yakima roof rack with two hully rollers. Basically, I prop the kayak on towel on my trunk and then lift & roll it into place on the roof. It works beautifully. I tie the kayak down with straps through each of the four side windows AND at the bow and stern. Peace of mind is important when driving 80 mph around sunrise.

I also purchased a kayak cart at REI. It's just a small cradle with two rubber wheels. However, it's very handy when transporting my kayak to and from its storage shed.

Once you get used to it, the whole process of loading and unloading a kayak is a breeze. I'm in and out the water much faster than any bass boater!
Old 05-15-2013, 03:39 PM

Roof top for me. Most of my access points aren't large enough for a trailer.

Good technique makes loading up top much easier.

I have a landscape trailer and another trailer for my raft/pontoons that I could easily use for kayaks but almost never do.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:42 PM

I have the same kayak and I put mine on the roof of my Jeep. I think it weighs just under 70 lbs without the seat. If you can't easily get it overhead and on top of a vehicle, get a trailer. Don't risk getting hurt trying.

I feel bad for people who don't hunt and fish. They never get to experience God's creation the way we do.

SUMKINA Bait Company Prostaff
Old 05-15-2013, 10:37 PM

A cheap way is to use two foam blocks (thereby separating your kayak from the finish on your car's roof) and tie it down through front windows and rear windows. After you've done that it is imperative that you secure the bow and stern to your bumpers...interstate speeds will rip it right off your car otherwise. That being said.......x2 for tossing it in the truck bed haha...so easy.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:07 AM

I've seen jet ski trailers go for between $150-$250.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:15 AM

I have a ladder rack on my truck and have a 16' canoe that I just lift one end of on top the rack and grab the other end and slide on.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:19 AM

I carried my 18' Grumman canoe on the roof of my truck using a "T" bar up from the rear bumper and a roof cross bar. It weighs about 100 lbs and that got to be too much for my old bones so I set up a trailer and added the side rails which made a big difference when the wind was blowing at the landing I could pull right up into the cradle and pull it put of the water. With all the gear I was able to keep the motor and battery in the canoe along with a bow weight (75lb lead billet) coolers etcs and it sure made life easier. the canoe is one my dad bought when I was a kid (im 66 now so its seen many miles of water.)
The boat is my 18' Grumman. The decks dont show but its pretty easy to fish from very comfortable. I could use more rod storage!

Last edited by TomD; 05-16-2013 at 09:27 AM.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomD View Post
I carried my 18' Grumman canoe on the roof of my truck using a "T" bar up from the rear bumper and a roof cross bar. It weighs about 100 lbs and that got to be too much for my old bones so I set up a trailer and added the side rails which made a big difference when the wind was blowing at the landing I could pull right up into the cradle and pull it put of the water. With all the gear I was able to keep the motor and battery in the canoe along with a bow weight (75lb lead billet) coolers etcs and it sure made life easier. the canoe is one my dad bought when I was a kid (im 66 now so its seen many miles of water.)
The boat is my 18' Grumman. The decks dont show but its pretty easy to fish from very comfortable. I could use more rod storage!

Last edited by Bassassasin; 05-16-2013 at 10:24 AM.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:23 AM

Disregard my last post, I have to get familiar with the newer post and replies being on top of the thread...Sorry!
Old 05-16-2013, 10:50 AM
Master Trout Magnet

Nice looking setup for the canoe.

Regards
Old 05-16-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassassasin View Post
Disregard my last post, I have to get familiar with the newer post and replies being on top of the thread...Sorry!

I found that you can change this in your User CP.