FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 05-06-2013, 08:36 PM

Default The Cicadas are coming, the cicadas are coming!!

http://drudgegae.iavian.net/r?hop=ht...05-06-14-19-13

Can't wait! The flyfishing gets insane when this happens and it's just in time for me to graduate (this week ) and finally have time to pursue fishing the way I want to.

Question for everyone - Who knows where I can buy a fly pattern to mimic one of these ugly things?

I feel bad for people who don't hunt and fish. They never get to experience God's creation the way we do.

SUMKINA Bait Company Prostaff
Old 05-06-2013, 08:48 PM

I was reading this earlier and thinking if/when they emerge here the fishing is gonna be awesome.

Although I don't think Brood II will reach this far west.

Sent from my Droid Bionic complete with typos and sarcasm.

Last edited by j19bill; 05-06-2013 at 08:51 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2t View Post
http://drudgegae.iavian.net/r?hop=ht...05-06-14-19-13

Can't wait! The flyfishing gets insane when this happens and it's just in time for me to graduate (this week ) and finally have time to pursue fishing the way I want to.

Question for everyone - Who knows where I can buy a fly pattern to mimic one of these ugly things?
They won't be here in droves like they were two or so years ago - it was awesome.

You can see here: http://www.magicicada.org/databases/magicicada/map.html

Mostly East as they are the 17-year brood variety; you'll have some, but not as bad as it will be on the East coast.

Anyway, for picking up flies; Ronnie down at Cumberland Transit can hook you up -- there are some alternatives you can use in Chernobyl Ants, darker hopper imitations and dark but orange-headed stimulators (mostly made of foam instead of deer/elk hair).

Sorry to rain on your parade unless you're heading East!

Tight lines,
BW
Old 05-07-2013, 08:02 AM

There are usually patterns at Cumberland Transit and Fly South. They may actually be in stock since the 17 year ones have passed. Like BW said, you will have some every year as there are annual cicadas but nothing of what you see with the 17 year.

Hoppers are fun once they start showing through fall but if you want some top water action that's a blast in ponds/lake's and an alternative to frogs... go get some damsel flies (pretty much smaller version of dragon flies). Bass love them and will run over each other to get them like cicada's because they know its helpless after splash down.