FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 05-04-2013, 01:23 AM

Default Radnor Lake - know anything about it?

There's a small park called Radnor Lake Wildlife Area and Refuge that's about 10 minutes from where I'll be living in Brentwood in a few weeks. It's a small lake, looks like a great place to take the kayak and do some evening bass fishing after work.. if there's any fish in there. Anybody fished it or know anything about it? Searching online didn't give me any indication of whether it's a decent fishing lake or not.

I feel bad for people who don't hunt and fish. They never get to experience God's creation the way we do.

SUMKINA Bait Company Prostaff
Old 05-04-2013, 01:27 AM

Default oops

Nevermind, just read that fishing is not allowed at all in that lake...and also that there are some huge bass and bluegill in there.

TK - delete this thread if you wish.

I feel bad for people who don't hunt and fish. They never get to experience God's creation the way we do.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:49 AM

I've heard stories of giant bass and crappie in there. I wanna fish it!!

Mike
Old 05-04-2013, 07:36 AM

Nope all the bass are stunted. Over population of fish...you need to cull fish to get big fish...
Old 05-04-2013, 10:58 AM

I talked to a Ranger last year who said there really isn't anything that big in there. They had shocked the waters to take note of the health and size of the fish and he said the biggest fish were mostly 2-3 lb Smallmouth
Old 05-04-2013, 12:20 PM
Owner and Administrator

Smile Still Good Info <'TK><

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2t View Post
Nevermind, just read that fishing is not allowed at all in that lake...and also that there are some huge bass and bluegill in there.

TK - delete this thread if you wish.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:35 PM

I read on a forum ( as a result of google searching ) and saw people's comments that they walk the trails around that lake and see huge bass and bluegill and everyone hates that you can't fish it. I share that sentiment. Sure would be a nice place to do some kayak bass fishing. Oh well.

Old 05-04-2013, 01:21 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2t View Post
I read on a forum ( as a result of google searching ) and saw people's comments that they walk the trails around that lake and see huge bass and bluegill and everyone hates that you can't fish it. I share that sentiment. Sure would be a nice place to do some kayak bass fishing. Oh well.
Up until about 5 years ago I walked around that lake a lot of weekends. In the spring I would see big bass and huge Gills. It killed me to not be able to fish it. I have no clue as to the fish in it now...but you cant even canoe that lake unless it is one of the few times they set up to do it each year.

Regards
Old 05-04-2013, 07:16 PM

Must be managed by tree huggers???? Or the Corps of Engineers??
Old 05-04-2013, 07:49 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltwaterwalt View Post
Must be managed by tree huggers???? Or the Corps of Engineers??
Full of tree huggers....LOL.

Regards
Old 05-04-2013, 08:00 PM

Yea that's definitely tree hugger work.

If that was the Corps of Engineers they would have done something even less logical like blocked the road into the park because once upon a time some idiot drove recklessly and caused a fatal accident.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:00 AM
Ben

Default Radnor Lake

It used to be such a great place. When i attended Belmont back in the 80's i would meet my buddies up their before my classes and we would run. Then, like most good things, that came to an end. The State thought a good way to increase tax money would be to charge parking fees. The nice old buildings had to be replaced with the new- the roads were paved and the morons who wanted to take a shortcut and get from Franklin Rd to Granny White 2 minutes quicker would drive 25-30 mph thru the park- and in there that's very very fast. At some point, Christmas trees were recycled on the trails and benches were put in along the trails and running on the trails was a thing of the past...

I can't ever remember seeing a big break in that lake, what i do remember is the huge turtles, they were everywhere.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:03 AM

Forget about it, man. Radnor is run like a police state - no fishing, swimming, or walking off the trails. Don't touch the trees. Better yet, don't look at them. Keep your gaze fixed on the ground and stand in the designated Wildlife Enjoyment Standing Zone. Also, no talking or holding hands with loved ones.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Marshall View Post
Forget about it, man. Radnor is run like a police state - no fishing, swimming, or walking off the trails. Don't touch the trees. Better yet, don't look at them. Keep your gaze fixed on the ground and stand in the designated Wildlife Enjoyment Standing Zone. Also, no talking or holding hands with loved ones.
Haha! So true.

Mike
Old 05-05-2013, 03:14 PM

I asked someone a long time ago about the thinking behind the no fishing rule, and I was told that apparently the "powers that be" in charge of the lake decided that they would wind up with too much trash around the lakeshore if they allowed fishing. I can't verify whether that's accurate or not, but sad to say, when I go to the local parks and greenways and see big balls of fishing line, empty worm boxes, empty plastic lure packages, and other trash left all over the place, I can see how someone could come to such a conclusion. I get really frustrated when a few slobs ruin stuff for everybody else.

bd