FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > General Discussion > Fishing Gear
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 01-26-2013, 10:31 AM
Master Trout Magnet

Default Microwave guides

Anyone ever fish a spinning rod with the new microwave guides? If so what are your opinions?

Regards
Old 01-26-2013, 05:27 PM

Default microwave guides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphahawk View Post
Anyone ever fish a spinning rod with the new microwave guides? If so what are your opinions?

Regards
Read up on them a little. Interesting , sounds like it was made for an ultralite genious like you. Get well soon.

regards
Old 01-28-2013, 10:26 AM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by old sailor View Post
Read up on them a little. Interesting , sounds like it was made for an ultralite genious like you. Get well soon.

regards
Thanks old sailor....don't know about being the UL genius but I do love to UL fish. Was watching a fishing show and they were catching crappie on some rods that I thought the action looked pretty good. I called the guy that made the rods and asked him what it would cost to make me a rod with that action. He gave me a quote...reasonable I thought.....and then he asked had I ever tried the microwave guides. Told him no and he asked if I would like those guides on my rod. I had never heard of them and did not really want to try them. He tells me because of my UL fishing they were made for me. He then tells me he will send me a rod and if I don't like it return it. So no money has changed hands...the rod arrives at more door...and I have made 2 casts with it from the front door of my house. I can't say it casts farther yet but it does cast different...in a good kind of way. Got nothing to lose so am going to try it hopefully by March 1. Didn't know if anyone on here had used them or not. Thanks for your input.

Regards
Old 01-28-2013, 11:37 AM

I have seen him promote the new rods/reels he came up with.

Two thoughts...

1.) I don't know first hand as to whether the guides would increase casting or not ...BUT... before sinking a bunch of money I'd put a spinning reel on a baitcasting rod upside down and try casting it some. To me that is about the same.

2.) His new wave (I believe is the name) reel says it eliminates the big line twist by trapping the loop created on the spool in a saw blade shape at the spool's top. Supposed to allow you to take line off and keep the twist in its order of where it happend. That is why most gets the big total mess from a spinning reel by pulling it off out of sequence. You can simply remedy that by leaving the bail closed, loosen your drag out and pull line off slowly bail closed without the special reel.

Based on the second thing mentioned which I know to be true as both ways work for line twist... I'd say the first one about his new guides probably do work but whether they'd work better for cheaper than a spinning rod having a simple casting ceramic guide instead of the big guide next to the reel I don't know.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:22 PM

I don't quite understand the small guide inside the big guide. Isn't that the same as just a small guide without the big guide around it?

Mike
Old 01-28-2013, 12:29 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis C. View Post
I have seen him promote the new rods/reels he came up with.

Two thoughts...

1.) I don't know first hand as to whether the guides would increase casting or not ...BUT... before sinking a bunch of money I'd put a spinning reel on a baitcasting rod upside down and try casting it some. To me that is about the same.

2.) His new wave (I believe is the name) reel says it eliminates the big line twist by trapping the loop created on the spool in a saw blade shape at the spool's top. Supposed to allow you to take line off and keep the twist in its order of where it happend. That is why most gets the big total mess from a spinning reel by pulling it off out of sequence. You can simply remedy that by leaving the bail closed, loosen your drag out and pull line off slowly bail closed without the special reel.

Based on the second thing mentioned which I know to be true as both ways work for line twist... I'd say the first one about his new guides probably do work but whether they'd work better for cheaper than a spinning rod having a simple casting ceramic guide instead of the big guide next to the reel I don't know.
Yeah I think Doug Hannon started this but the company that made my rod has nothing to do with him. They have been custom making rods for 45 years and it was just a suggestion from the rod builder that I might want to try them. I am not out any money so I will just see how it works. The guide set is expensive...45 bucks from Mudhole. I just wanted a rod with that action for crappie....and it is a very well made rod.....it was built by Kissel Krafts and the price was not outrageous. Still 4 weeks before I can try to catch a fish on it though.

Regards
Old 01-28-2013, 12:32 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNfisher View Post
I don't quite understand the small guide inside the big guide. Isn't that the same as just a small guide without the big guide around it?
I don't know. There are some slow motion videos of it on youtube. But I can tell you this. Just standing on my front porch and casting it you do know you have something different. How that translates to catching fish I will have to see.

Regards
Old 01-28-2013, 12:42 PM

Let's us know how it fishes.

I always wondered about the micro guides on the baitcasting rods too.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:48 PM

Travis, fished Guntersville last fall with an FLW guy and all his baitcasters had the micro's. He could cast 10-15 yards past me. This was a hugh deal on the grass mats down there. He said those micro's made his cast that much more than mine. I would like to try a set of these on one of my spinning outfits. I like the idea of the less line twist. I would like to put them on a 7' or 7-6 GL3 Jig rod and try out with a hair fly or shaky head. I think we have several rod builders on here, how much would it cost me to get the old ones off and these on. Thanks guys.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:58 PM
Master Trout Magnet

This rod not only has the micro guides but the stripper guide is called a microwave guide. It is a guide inside of a guide...it does cast smooth with no vibration at all. Was on the front porch this morning casting this thing again...LOL. I can tell you how good this concept works in about 3 to 4 weeks.

Regards
Old 01-29-2013, 03:26 PM

Alpha, man I hope it does what they say it will because I fish quite a lot with spinning gear. I sure you will keep us posted. Get healed up so you can go try er out.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:25 AM

Alpha,

Could you post a picture of the rod please sir, interested in seeing this rod? Thanks
Old 01-31-2013, 08:47 PM
Master Trout Magnet

The only thing different about this rod is the first guide...all of the other guides are all micro guides....the first guide is called a microwave guide. I do have to admit standing on my front porch it sure casts good. I am excited to get on the water with it.

Regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0074.jpg (69.1 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0078.jpg (69.1 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0076.jpg (112.2 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0080.jpg (94.0 KB, 34 views)
Old 02-01-2013, 09:54 AM
Fishing TN Staff

This sounds like a really interesting concept. Another eye to get broken.lol

I'm intrested in hearing more about the rod, and what you think about it after some use.

Jeremy
Old 02-01-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphahawk View Post
The only thing different about this rod is the first guide...all of the other guides are all micro guides....the first guide is called a microwave guide. I do have to admit standing on my front porch it sure casts good. I am excited to get on the water with it.

Regards
What length and action is that rod?

Mike