FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 01-16-2012, 10:50 AM
ALANRAYG2

Default Sauger

Well, I finally got out yesterday. I met my fishing buddy at the ramp at 7am and we fished until dark. Needless to say we were tired. We haven't fished for sauger for 2 years. So bouncing jigs all day was a tiring. We ended the day with 20 sauger in the livewell. We caught and tossed back several nice stripe in the 1-1/2 range, a flathead about 7 lbs, and small blue cat, and a 10lb drum. All in all we had a great day.
The fish were in the 28 to 33 foot range. water themp was 46.5 to start and was 47.4 when we ended the day. clarity was stained.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:58 AM

Sounds like a good trip. Were you fishing KY Lake? We fished south of Cuba Landings a few weeks ago and caught 10 in two days. I heard towards Clifton and the dam was getting real good.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:03 AM
ALANRAYG2

Default TN. River

We were south of the duck and north of Pickwick Dam. I have heard a few good reports from the Duck River area. Have you heard any reports from New Johnsonville to Paris?
Old 01-17-2012, 01:06 PM

No I have not. I never go up that way. Was there a special color that worked well for you? We went through everything and I could not get a pattern down.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:21 PM
ALANRAYG2

Default jigs

I tie my own crappie and sauger jigs. Sunday the sauger had a preference for a flame red head with eyes. A woolly bugger medium chartreuse body and an olive green back and chartreuse belly made from bucktail. The jighead was a 1-1/4 oz wedge type head. We also used a 1-oz foot ball head with the same color pattern.
We caught some on an 1-1/4 head with painted orange and chartreuse fish hair for a skirt.
we added a large minnow on the jig hook. I think the stinger hooks were # 6's or maybe #8's trebles .

Last edited by ALANRAYG2; 01-17-2012 at 03:41 PM.