FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 02-18-2017, 12:15 AM
nashvillefishingguides.co

Default Vertigo?

Took a client out Friday morning, fished for 90 minutes.
Had 15 fish in the boat when the client felt lightheaded and had a bit of vertigo.
We decided to call it a day and get him back to shore.
I didn't want him to drive alone so I took him to his residence 45 minutes away. Then brought his daughter back to the boat ramp to pick up his vehicle and drive it home.
He was feeling much better when we got to his abode and seems to be fine now. I hope he had his wife drive him to an ER to have him checked out.
Old 02-18-2017, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agelesssone View Post
Had 15 fish in the boat when the client felt lightheaded and had a bit of vertigo.
I didn't want him to drive alone so I took him to his residence 45 minutes away. Then brought his daughter back to the boat ramp to pick up his vehicle and drive it home.
He was feeling much better when we got to his abode and seems to be fine now. I hope he had his wife drive him to an ER to have him checked out.

Outstanding display of character.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:59 AM

How old was he? I'm 62 and had vertigo a year ago. Hit me coming down the stairs, lasted 24 hours and was gone. Had a 70 year old friend get it for about 5 days before it left him. My doc says most times it's an inner ear problem and will correct itself with time.

The boat motion may of set it off. But still should be checked out by a doc if lasts more than 12-24 hours.
Old 02-18-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agelesssone View Post
Old 02-18-2017, 10:59 AM
Dakota S

Nice job Merv! Gestures like that is what we need more of now days. As much as I fish I have no motion sick problems until I go deep sea fishing, (once a year) then I get sick I hate it. I'm still able to fish but not feeling the best. I'm not seeing land, maybe that's it? Any tips for curing this I'm all ears. I've tried all the normal stuff to try to prevent this.
Old 02-18-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Nice job Merv! Gestures like that is what we need more of now days. As much as I fish I have no motion sick problems until I go deep sea fishing, (once a year) then I get sick I hate it. I'm still able to fish but not feeling the best. I'm not seeing land, maybe that's it? Any tips for curing this I'm all ears. I've tried all the normal stuff to try to prevent this.
For me I would kinda get sea sick when I was younger. What I noticed is if I was inside the cabin on the 2hour ride out I'd always look out the window. You'd sea water then sky as the boat went up and down the waves. That would always trigger that nautious type feeling for me. I learned just to stay outside the cabin for the ride out and I was better. Then just going enough to be over it mentally helped a lot...
Old 02-18-2017, 06:53 PM

i agree that fresh air is very important to prevent motion sickness... eyes on the horizon... once you start catching its usually not an issue
Old 02-18-2017, 07:36 PM

Default Vertigo?

Vertigo is usually caused by inner ear problems and can be immobilizing. A treatment by a physics therapist may cure. Same treatment can be found by googling. Same treatment. Epley maneuver.

Last edited by jaycee; 02-18-2017 at 07:41 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:23 AM

Talking

You aren't as mean as you look Merv.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:56 PM

Sounds like vertigo to me. I had a serious bought of it about 3 years ago. It was horrible