FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 07-27-2016, 12:11 PM

Arrow Summer Stripers

Been seeing these puppies showing back up on the Sonar in the main river channel around deep structure. Old Hickory gizzards have been hard to come by lately, so I went to Station Camp creek and netted a couple dozen creek chubs and headed out. We caught about 10 and some nice cats. Side note, the Striper bite was only in the mid afternoon. Here's hoping that it's about be ON!

Old 07-27-2016, 12:25 PM

Great fish!
Old 07-27-2016, 12:36 PM

You just about kill me every year about this time. I have hunted all over Old Hickory and can not find the stripers. I envy your striper catching abilities. I need to get my son hooked into one of these and he would be hooked on fishing.

Last edited by spottedbass; 07-27-2016 at 12:39 PM.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:28 PM

Thumbs up

Great report/pic's ... Beautiful healthy looking fish.. ... Rockfish stuffed with crabmeat; yea that's good eatin'

More info about Hendersonville and Old Hickory lake fishing at my site: http://myhendersonvilletn.com/
Old 07-27-2016, 01:59 PM

If you want to catch them this time of year it requires some good electronics. They are either on structure near deep water or tucked in by deep cliffs. If I was a betting man, I'd say they were laid up on the cliff walls across from the steamplant. There's plenty of shade there and it's deep right next to a huge flat. I'm going to look there next time I go out, but yesterday I didn't have enough gas to make the trip.

Here's what they looked like yesterday. I tell the wife, this is what we're looking for. When it looks like spaghetti, park it. One other thing, they get really bait size specific this time of year. Gizzards or Creek chubs in the 4-5" range are the ticket.

*and No, the water temp was not 93º, the Lowrance was reading the transducer in the hull because I was cruising.

Old 07-27-2016, 02:27 PM

Thanks. That is what I look for on my Lowrance. Just haven't found that. I'll keep looking. Is live bait the only way to really catch them?
Old 07-27-2016, 03:26 PM

Live bait is just my preferred method when they are suspended in this Hot weather. It sometimes requires a jigging spoon to get them fired up once you put the live bait in their face which is what I do. I park right on top of them and downline.

When they are active you can slow troll A-Rigs or U-Rigs quite successfully. For my money, there's just something about finding them and putting a little swimmer right in front of their big mouths
Old 07-27-2016, 03:36 PM
Dakota S

Thanks great report!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-28-2016, 11:23 AM

What do you want/need Adrian for a ride along with you? You are always pulling the big boys out! Seriously if you ever EVER need a partner plz pm me I will drop everything and tag along.

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk
Old 07-28-2016, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonc615 View Post
What do you want/need Adrian for a ride along with you? You are always pulling the big boys out! Seriously if you ever EVER need a partner plz pm me I will drop everything and tag along.

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk
If you go with Adrian please do not post your picture wearing a bikini.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
For my money, there's just something about finding them and putting a little swimmer right in front of their big mouths

I bet that is fun... Striper probably try's to rip the rod right outta your hands !

More info about Hendersonville and Old Hickory lake fishing at my site: http://myhendersonvilletn.com/
Old 07-28-2016, 03:26 PM

Nice fish,,,, and good info on hunting them.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:00 PM

I require bikinis of all my passengers

I really don't expect these Fish to become consistent until the middle of next month. Right now it's hunt and peck.

As far as ripping the rod out of you hand, this time last year I did lose my Shimano/Okuma combo right over the side of the boat. That's $300 down the tube...
Old 07-29-2016, 08:02 AM

I live right on OH and haven't caught a striper on it since they put up the barrier at steam plant.
I stink at reading my electronics.
Great fish man.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:58 AM

I hear a lot about people sight fishing to stripers on flats in their native salt waters. Do they ever behave like that around here?