FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > General Discussion > Fishing Gear
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 12-07-2015, 01:59 PM
Fishing TN Staff

Default Reel cleaning, tuning, and servicing

I'm still working on reels. I think I've done around 140 reels this year, as 2015 was my 1st year to actually do more than what my wife own and I along with just a few friends. I've been doing this for myself and friends for 5-6 years.

I work on baitcast, and spinning reels. My turnaround is about a week barring parts. I hand cut carbon text drag washers. I service about any brand.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Servicing Prices.pdf (129.8 KB, 98 views)
Old 12-19-2015, 12:21 PM

I May have you look at 2 of my Stradics that have that binding issue. Ever dealt with that?
Old 12-19-2015, 06:36 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTNKayakAngler View Post
I'm still working on reels. I think I've done around 140 reels this year, as 2015 was my 1st year to actually do more than what my wife own and I along with just a few friends. I've been doing this for myself and friends for 5-6 years.

I work on baitcast, and spinning reels. My turnaround is about a week barring parts. I hand cut carbon text drag washers. I service about any brand.
Thats a good deal.....I wouldn't do one for that price....a lot of eye strain....LOL. I have done my own but due to aging eyes will not be doing it any longer. May order a bearing kit to add 7 bearings to my Luvias. It is 2 years old but works great. It has a lot of rock rash from fishing the rip rap from the bank but still works great....with the 7 extra bearings would be off the charts. Of course would have to ask you to do it.

Regards
Old 12-20-2015, 06:08 AM
Fishing TN Staff

No problem.

I started doing this as a service and something to do with evening spare time instead of watching TV. It's like a puzzle for me, and I enjoy working with my hands, and seeing a finished product better than it was new.

There really is no money in it, as I have thousands of dollars in bearings "really that's not much", and then on top of that the tools, lubricants, cleaners, and some common spare parts like "worm gears, cogs, pawls, springs, clips, retainers, carbon fiber sheets, etc.".

I'm getting ready to place an order with Hedgehog for more bearings if you are interested in that brand? It's becoming my favorite. I had a few reels that I had already ran for a year, and then swapped out the factory bearings with Hedgehog, and I really like them. They are similar in price to Boca, and the other well known brands, but directly from Japan. I've not had any rejects yet.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:13 AM
Fishing TN Staff

Here's a reel I'm currently working on. It's a JDM Daiwa Hi-Speed 6.3.

This is an older reel, but quality reel. I have serviced many 20-40 year old Daiwa's, Abu Garcia, and Shimano last year. Many Reel Technicians will not touch these reels due to parts availability. I really enjoy working on older reels, and making them better than new with the addition of bearings, Carbontex drags, and a good cleaning and re-lube. As you can tell by the pictures this reel has seen a lot of time on the water.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_8750.JPG (154.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_8814.JPG (32.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_8897.JPG (34.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_8899.JPG (200.7 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by Reel Tune; 01-09-2016 at 09:23 AM.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:31 AM
Fishing TN Staff

More photos of the Daiwa
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_8913.JPG (146.6 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_8972.JPG (120.4 KB, 22 views)
Old 01-14-2016, 07:56 AM

I've got a couple for you, both bait casters. One locks up on under load and the other one the handle slips and goes in reverse while cranking.