FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > General Discussion > Sports Lounge - General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 12-16-2012, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANRAYG2 View Post
the Obama administration want to put veterans with PTSD on the " National Crime Register " this will Red flag any gun purchases when the background check happens.
Speaking of understanding the facts, this is entirely false. In fact, when Congress wouldn't act earlier this year, the President issued an executive order commanding the VA to improve medical care and support for veterans with PTSD.

bd
Old 12-16-2012, 12:51 AM

Bd well written post.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie View Post
It was a pleasure to meet a gentleman like you.

I think that I was wrong by assuming that the rifle, which I used to see a similar on at WalMart, is a machine gun. Thanks for the clarification about the law and the type of weapon.
I am not familiar with the argument about weapons legislation here in the U.S. and I was just express my fleeing about the incident. Sorry if I offend you by my comment.

And Merry Christmas.
I hope I didn't come off as I was attacking you, that was not my intention. As already said people that are not used to guns may not understand the difference. We "Gun people" can some times be very defensive about people blaming guns. You seem like a very nice and intelligent man, I hope one day we can meet in person. Until then happy fishing.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
Old 12-16-2012, 12:59 AM

Before my son came along I invested the money into a full auto 10/22 rifle. It was very expensive for a .22 rifle. The gun was 189.00 new at walmart. 2600 for the conversion,200.00 for the stamp to have full auto,Plus all the crap you have to do with the Local and Federal people to get it. Plus the Ammo you will waste showing off at the range. I now have a 2004 Yukon 4x4 in it's place. The gun was sold to a gun shop so it would go thru the proper channels if someone were to want one.

It is very sad to watch the news. I have hugged my son so much today he has asked me to leave him alone.haha. It is always a good idea for people to be educated on things they do not understand.

On a side note, If you are a gun guy you have to shoot full auto atleast once. You will smile for days
Old 12-16-2012, 03:34 AM
Owner and Administrator

Default A Subject That Haunts and a Food for thought .. <'TK><

First Off Newbie .. You do not know our American Heritage for independence... Pretty much (and this is not to be smart but factual) ... Like our president who was basically raised in Indonesia, (you Saudi) for most of his life until 20 years old or so .. No US History and education of our Heritage was taught to him .. Like I received by attending School Here.. ... Obama did not, but on his behalf when he made the statement of 57 States... He Really didn't know ... And I can understand that because of the fact he was not raised here ...

No apology necessary ... you do well with interpreting our language ...

No you just hit a nerve with me by blaming everything on gun control .. Our Founding Fathers Knew that a Republic would be hard to maintain without the Constitution and the Sovereignty of each State against the Control of the Federal Gov... Sorry, And maybe I took it out on you ... For that I apologize ... But after traveling the world in war and peace time ... You don't know how much I love this Country.

JD had a great post ... Great Summarizations ... But what haunts me is the "Grin for Days" .. When shooting Automatic Weapons ... This does not happen when your first target is not paper (or paint balls). ... And your mind goes in a different direction that is hard to describe .. and then after one or more targets you realize this is the only shield you have ... The sad part is that you rely on this and it gets easier ... Now that was 45 years ago .... That is 16,425 days ... Not many days go by that I don't think of a automatic weapon ... they are only needed in War!!

Now as far as our Hand carry permits ... The greatest things since indoor plumbing !! ... Notice ... the State of Tennessee ... It is a Hand Gun carry permit ... Not Concealed ... But you are a fool if you walk around with it exposed ... Great Liabilities !!! My weapons of choice ... Smith and Wesson Model 66 Stainless 2 1/2 inch barrel 357 Mag Revolver ... Depending on Venue and time of year and clothing .. It may be a Colt Python 6 inch barrel, 357 Mag Revolver ... That is in case if I need to 'Reach out and Touch Somebody" ... You only use these weapons for one reason to protect yourself, or family or people in immediate danger of a nut !! So why piss them off with a 9mm....

If one of the Teachers or any adult in Conn had a weapon instead of trying to hold a door closed ... 20 plus children could have been saved !!! So Sad ... It Really breaks my Heart ... I have Grand kids this age .. My mind keeps wondering what if ....

JD... When I was guiding and had folks from Minn and Iowa staying at my cabin ... I heard a lot of giggling after I brought them back from the river ... ... They were couples 20 years younger than me ...I asked them what was so funny ... They said it was because you keep answering us with Yes Mam and Yes Sir ... I answerd her by saying ... Mam, This is how I was raised in the South ... All Women regardless of age is addressed as Yes Mam and out of respect all Men addressed as Yes Sir ... JD This goes a long way with your kids, especially in the future ... Keep it up !! <'TK>< ...

Last edited by tkwalker; 12-16-2012 at 09:12 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:04 AM

I am supposing that the young man murdered those children and teachers because he was frustrated and mad at the world which he felt had rejected him.

Just wondering if the young man had a hobby like fishing if he could have released some of that frustration and enjoyed some of the peace that comes from being away from the world.

Finally, I think in cases of divorce boys should live with their fathers. I think a father can better prepare a young man to go into the world. I was raised by my mother.

I pray the survivors will be able to live again.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:44 PM
ALANRAYG2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd- View Post
Speaking of understanding the facts, this is entirely false. In fact, when Congress wouldn't act earlier this year, the President issued an executive order commanding the VA to improve medical care and support for veterans with PTSD.

bd
bd please read the following articles. Thanks

http://www.examiner.com/article/sena...d-vets-of-guns

and

http://www.coburn.senate.gov/public/...3-d7c0c7bbb86f
Old 12-16-2012, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkwalker View Post
If one of the Teachers or any adult in Conn had a weapon instead of trying to hold a door closed ... 20 plus children could have been saved !!!
As much as I'd like to believe this TK, I doubt it would have been the case.

You have "Joe Math Teacher" in a room with 7-8 yr olds and shots ring off down the hall or next to you. Not everyone has it between the ears or dare I say swinging between the legs to leave the "safety" (used loosely) of their closed door and run towards that.

Not everyone who pays the fee and takes the course to get is hip shooter has the capacity to actually use it in those situations regardless what they think on the front end.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis C. View Post

You have "Joe Math Teacher" in a room with 7-8 yr olds and shots ring off down the hall or next to you. Not everyone has it between the ears or dare I say swinging between the legs to leave the "safety" (used loosely) of their closed door and run towards that.

Not everyone who pays the fee and takes the course to get is hip shooter has the capacity to actually use it in those situations regardless what they think on the front end.

I agree with you on that. I got mine because when I was younger I was driving a truck delevering building materials and was held up in a ally in East Nashville and smacked in the face with his gun and he told me I was lucky. And I was. I have never had to use it. I never even show it. You can never even tell I have one. The people that show them off are the ones the bad guys go after first
Old 12-16-2012, 10:46 PM
Owner and Administrator

Default I Agree ... <'TK><

Quote:

Travis I agree about "Not Everyone who Pays the Fee and Course has the Capacity", But I bet The principal and the other teacher who walked down the hall straight at him (which he shot) I believe they had the capacity and would have used a gun if they had one ...

Trained, Qualified Armed Sercurity should be placed in every school in the nation... This would deter a large percentage of this ... The cost would be minimal compared to the Alternative ... <'TK><
Old 12-16-2012, 11:15 PM
ALANRAYG2

Quote:

This video sort relates to your post....I hope this works. Let me know if you can't watch.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=463001733735055
Old 12-16-2012, 11:37 PM
Owner and Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANRAYG2 View Post
This video sort relates to your post....I hope this works. Let me know if you can't watch.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=463001733735055
Thanks Alan, Yes that is one thing you learn ... You are responsable for every round .. But I really don't understand how he got a permit with tunnel vision?? <'TK><
Old 12-17-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkwalker View Post
Trained, Qualified Armed Sercurity should be placed in every school in the nation... This would deter a large percentage of this ... The cost would be minimal compared to the Alternative ... <'TK><
I would much rather see this TK than an armed security paid to hang around liquor stores at night, jewelry stores and places like that.

As far as this tragedy as a whole, you can't stop crazy.

Whether everyone carries a gun or no one carries one that is a proven fact over the course of history. Things like this happen regardless the motive, means or individual.

You guys that have carry permits may be able to answer this for me: Are there any requirements on the getting certified portion for a handgun or even a gun in general where a person has to list meds taken and/or any form of health disorders and it can be cross-referenced?

I have no desire to get a carry permit but to me that would seem to be just as effective of a data base as a meth or offender one. A lot of disorders are wired in peoples DNA and its there for the long haul medication or not.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:53 AM

You do not have to list any Meds. Here in TN they do a FED background check. Can not be a felon or have been charged in any domestic violence cases. And there are a few other odd ball things they check for. That is to just buy a gun.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:07 AM
ALANRAYG2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdkxtreme View Post
You do not have to list any Meds. Here in TN they do a FED background check. Can not be a felon or have been charged in any domestic violence cases. And there are a few other odd ball things they check for. That is to just buy a gun.
I haven't bought a gun in several years. It seems as I had to answer some questions about illegal drugs and mind altering prescription drug use. Along with a bunch of other questions. I could have just as easily lied on the form. I think Hipaa laws keep your medical records private... even from background checks.

Travis, I think the tunnel vision came from the adrenalin pouring thru his body. I am sure he was very focused.