FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 03-31-2016, 05:27 PM

Default Trolling with my Kayak

I usually fish for Hybrids and Stripers most of the year but take six or eight weeks out in the Spring to fish for crappie (since that is our eating preference). Last year, I equipped my hunting boat with a trolling motor and depth finder.

A couple of months ago, I purchased a Jackson kayak and have been learning to use it. Earlier photos have been posted. Now I realize that you serious yakkers do not use a trolling motor (as evidenced by a local kayak tournament will nit allow a motor).

My plan was to use the motor to get me to the fishing area where I would switch to paddling. I researched a lot about putting electric motors on a kayak and ended up purchasing a motor from Electric Kayak Company ...

The cylinder you see allows me to raise and lower the motor remotely. The system works very well and also works great for spider-rigging (photos are on earlier post). I ended up buying more that I needed, and if you need additional information, please email me for details.

Then I started "pulling" jigs and everything worked except fighting the fish is awkward if you have additional rods out.

I already had a 55 lb. thrust Motorguide xi5 (with Pinpoint) from the aluminum boat last year. When the mounting bracket was designed for the kayak, provision was made to allow either an xi5 or MK Power Drive 2 with Ipilot.

The xi5 was mounted in the rear ...

The motor pushes the kayak forward with ease and the Motorguide remote was easy to steer forward with. The only problem is the "neat" features on trolling motor (directional control, speed control, etc.) only work with the trolling motor mounted on the front.

I the got the idea to troll backwards so that I was facing the back of the kayak, after all I face the stern most of the time when trolling in a boat. It worked like a dream!

These are still shots taken from the GoPro video (two different fish) ...

The only problem I encountered was win gusts. I think lowering a small anchor in the front so that it is just below the surface will remedy that problem.

I will try to get better camera angles on the next trip!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-31-2016, 05:50 PM

Wow that's awesome.

What about a small drift
sock.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:43 PM

Very nice set up! The anchor will help, I use it on the rear of my yak like a rudder.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:40 PM

Smile

Very nice, thanks for sharing. Did you consider a Hobie? If so, what made you choose a Jackson?
Old 03-31-2016, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StriperDude View Post
Very nice, thanks for sharing. Did you consider a Hobie? If so, what made you choose a Jackson?
I started out looking at the Old Town Predator XL with the Minn Kota trolling motor. In fact, seeing an advertisement for that product with the trolling motor got me thinking about a kayak. I spent a lot of time researching the internet on kayaks and discovered the Jackson Big Rig as well as trolling motor systems that might be used on a kayak. The Big Rig is 37" wide and I figured that was my best chance to not turn over. Also, Jackson Kayak is located about 25 miles from my house.

I made a visit to Caney Fork Outdoors and looked at the Predator XL and the Jackson Big Rig (as well as the Coosa, etc.). The motor unit in the Predator takes up a lot of room, especially when it is in the raised position. That convinced me that a rear mount motor would be the way to go.

As far as Hobie is concerned, they have a loyal user base so I am sure the make a good product. A good friend of mine was an Engineer at Hobie when the switch to roto-molding was made and he spoke very highly of the company. I think the Hobies may be higher priced than the Jacksons.

As far as the experience with Jackson, I could not recommend it more highly. It is a first class product and it is great to see a local company do well. The dealer (Caney Fork Outdoors) is also a first-class operation. I purchased from the location near Centerhill Dam but they also have a location in Donelson where you can see the kayaks rigged.

By the way, kayaks are Barbies for grown men (just like ARs)!
Old 03-31-2016, 09:15 PM

Well done Sir.
Very nice setup.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-01-2016, 02:57 PM

Just an FYI, you will need to register your kayak with TWRA if you are using a trolling motor assuming you haven't already done so. Any vessel under power has to be registered and they can give you a ticket. I have a similar setup on my canoe.

Happy fishing!
Old 04-01-2016, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aero320 View Post
I started out looking at the Old Town Predator XL with the Minn Kota trolling motor. In fact, seeing an advertisement for that product with the trolling motor got me thinking about a kayak. I spent a lot of time researching the internet on kayaks and discovered the Jackson Big Rig as well as trolling motor systems that might be used on a kayak. The Big Rig is 37" wide and I figured that was my best chance to not turn over. Also, Jackson Kayak is located about 25 miles from my house.

I made a visit to Caney Fork Outdoors and looked at the Predator XL and the Jackson Big Rig (as well as the Coosa, etc.). The motor unit in the Predator takes up a lot of room, especially when it is in the raised position. That convinced me that a rear mount motor would be the way to go.

As far as Hobie is concerned, they have a loyal user base so I am sure the make a good product. A good friend of mine was an Engineer at Hobie when the switch to roto-molding was made and he spoke very highly of the company. I think the Hobies may be higher priced than the Jacksons.

As far as the experience with Jackson, I could not recommend it more highly. It is a first class product and it is great to see a local company do well. The dealer (Caney Fork Outdoors) is also a first-class operation. I purchased from the location near Centerhill Dam but they also have a location in Donelson where you can see the kayaks rigged.

By the way, kayaks are Barbies for grown men (just like ARs)!
Old 04-01-2016, 08:10 PM

Smile

Very helpful info, I am in the market for a yak seriously thinking about the hobie outback. Hung up on the cost but believe it will be a wonderful way to fish. Hoping you have great success with your fishing ventures.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattr View Post
just an fyi, you will need to register your kayak with twra if you are using a trolling motor assuming you haven't already done so. Any vessel under power has to be registered and they can give you a ticket. I have a similar setup on my canoe.

Happy fishing!
tn 0028 ek