PDA

View Full Version : Want to fish for Trout

timothy.collins92
09-30-2014, 11:19 PM
So I am new to this hobby (that may not be a respectful enough word to those who have been doing this for many years). That being said I love trout, and that is a large focus of mine. As of right now I have a medium action rod, it is a QX36 quantum 6'6" rod that I really like. However I am seeing a lot of people talk about ultralight gear, do I need to get an UL rod and reel for trout or will the lighter line on the medium action be fine?

I do have what I think is an UL rod from way back but the reel needs work, I suppose I could just replace the reel on it if I needed to.

I am also looking into getting into fly fishing but that is a whole different ballgame and right now I am trying to focus on what I have haha.

Thoughts and opinions are welcome, I am trying my best to learn all that I can

browntrout
10-01-2014, 02:28 PM
So I am new to this hobby (that may not be a respectful enough word to those who have been doing this for many years). That being said I love trout, and that is a large focus of mine. As of right now I have a medium action rod, it is a QX36 quantum 6'6" rod that I really like. However I am seeing a lot of people talk about ultralight gear, do I need to get an UL rod and reel for trout or will the lighter line on the medium action be fine?

I do have what I think is an UL rod from way back but the reel needs work, I suppose I could just replace the reel on it if I needed to.

I am also looking into getting into fly fishing but that is a whole different ballgame and right now I am trying to focus on what I have haha.

Thoughts and opinions are welcome, I am trying my best to learn all that I can

I am in the Boro also and I pretty much primarily trout fish. I am on the trout magnet pro staff, as is tcintn and alphahawk. Hit me up one day and we can do lunch and talk trout fishing.

Roy