PDA

View Full Version : how to remove red meat from striper fillet

commdd
01-28-2014, 11:12 AM
this topic came up recently and i found a good video showing the procedure, easy and quick..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utwHVRQ8Kpg

jad2t
01-28-2014, 11:24 AM
Wow those electric fillet knives sure do make it a quicker process. My wife always make fun of how long it takes me to fillet any kind of fish but white bass and the one rockfish I ate take me longer. Other fish are pretty quick but could still be much faster with an electric knife! I put a lot of care into it to make sure I don't waste any meat and remove all the red. I may have to get with technology!

I never knew about splitting the fillet along the red line and stripping the red part out so easily. Next striper and white bass fillets will be much faster!

Alphahawk
01-28-2014, 11:48 AM
Great tip! I have filleted thousands of white bass and never thought about not cutting a little up from the skin. I would always shave the red meat off my filet...which is a lot of extra work. I knew about pulling the strip out but this has made my day...LOL. I will now start keeping more whites for myself.

Regards

XxthejuicexX
01-28-2014, 12:22 PM
I use an electric knife and love it. I have never tried that way to remove the red streak I always try and shave it off. That one I caught Saturday was a nice fillet but by the time I clean the red out it's not the prettiest fillet.

fisher01
01-28-2014, 02:15 PM
Noticed in the video, he cut all the way through the tail. I always stop before the tail, then flip filet forward and then slide knife under meat to remove the skin/scales. I find it easier to do this way, as one can hold onto the tail end while removing the skin. Never knew one could just pinch out the red line, I'll give this a try next time I keep any whites.

XxthejuicexX
01-28-2014, 02:35 PM
Noticed in the video, he cut all the way through the tail. I always stop before the tail, then flip filet forward and then slide knife under meat to remove the skin/scales. I find it easier to do this way, as one can hold onto the tail end while removing the skin. Never knew one could just pinch out the red line, I'll give this a try next time I keep any whites.

I do the same thing. I find it easier to just leave the tail attached and take the meat from the skin that way.

MNfisher
01-28-2014, 03:11 PM
I do the same thing. I find it easier to just leave the tail attached and take the meat from the skin that way.

Yep! I do the same.

TNBronzeback
01-28-2014, 05:54 PM
thats how i did mine, angle the knife up just a touch leaving that red meat on the skin. i didnt pull that red vein out, i cut it out, same different i guess, ya get the same end result.
that would be nice though to have a set-up like that to clean your fish and just chuck the guts and such right off the board into the water! LOL.
nice handy hose to clean up afterwards!
its an ordeal to clean fish for me. cover a table, get a board out, use an empty bucket and double up trash bags, then wait patiently for the trash man to come in a few days while your leftovers are stewing in the trash can on a hot summer day in the day! MMMMMMM MMMMMM!

Halli
01-28-2014, 06:04 PM
Yep I leave the tail connected also.

Rather than wait for the trash man why not plant those scraps next to what ever you grow, just add a little lime in the summer or you will get a bubble up in the heat of summer.

Alphahawk
01-28-2014, 06:12 PM
My carcasses go into a very tiny creek behind my sisters house.There is not even enough flow to wash them away....but.....the next morning you can not even find a scale....LOL. Raccoons...hawks....and I guess other things clean it up very well.

Regards

Dakota
01-28-2014, 06:41 PM
I've only had a few stripers that I've kept. Both times I put them in the smoker. Really how good is striper does it taste like a largemouth bass? Which I tried one years ago didn't like it. I usually keep catfish crappie and Shellcracker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

tacklemake
01-28-2014, 07:38 PM
I've only had a few stripers that I've kept. Both times I put them in the smoker. Really how good is striper does it taste like a largemouth bass? Which I tried one years ago didn't like it. I usually keep catfish crappie and Shellcracker.

My friend the next time you catch one and make fillets cut it in to 3" squares and lightly season with old bay both sides then put it on a plate and cover it with a microwave plate cover and put it in the microwave set on high for five minutes. Make sure all the red meat is off before you put it in the microwave. Striper makes a great sandwich that way.................woody

XxthejuicexX
01-28-2014, 07:58 PM
thats how i did mine, angle the knife up just a touch leaving that red meat on the skin. i didnt pull that red vein out, i cut it out, same different i guess, ya get the same end result.
that would be nice though to have a set-up like that to clean your fish and just chuck the guts and such right off the board into the water! LOL.
nice handy hose to clean up afterwards!
its an ordeal to clean fish for me. cover a table, get a board out, use an empty bucket and double up trash bags, then wait patiently for the trash man to come in a few days while your leftovers are stewing in the trash can on a hot summer day in the day! MMMMMMM MMMMMM!

Wait...... have you been watching my cleaning process through my kitchen window?????

Dakota
01-28-2014, 08:01 PM
My friend the next time you catch one and make fillets cut it in to 3" squares and lightly season with old bay both sides then put it on a plate and cover it with a microwave plate cover and put it in the microwave set on high for five minutes. Make sure all the red meat is off before you put it in the microwave. Striper makes a great sandwich that way.................woody

Very interesting I may have to try that

jad2t
01-29-2014, 08:33 AM
double up trash bags, then wait patiently for the trash man to come in a few days while your leftovers are stewing in the trash can on a hot summer day in the day! MMMMMMM MMMMMM!

Oh dude you leave them in the trash? I always put a paper bag with the carcasses in the freezer until trash day then toss them.

agelesssone
01-29-2014, 08:55 AM
Oh dude you leave them in the trash? I always put a paper bag with the carcasses in the freezer until trash day then toss them.

X2 on Jimmy.

Buy/find/get an old ironing board, screw a piece of 1x6 to the top.

Have a doubled up plastic grocery bag/s handy for the offals and carcasses.

Clean your fish outside on it, hose the ironing board off, fold it up, and stash it away til the next time.

Tie the bags closed, place in the freezer til trash day, dispose. No mess, no smell.

TNBronzeback
01-29-2014, 09:03 AM

That would be the best option, but due to my mad fishing skills, my freezer is full of filets, no room for guts! HA HA!

SAMBOLIE
01-29-2014, 09:40 AM
That would be the best option, but due to my mad fishing skills, my freezer is full of filets, no room for guts! HA HA!

Fish never get to Jimmy's freezer. He cleans and eats. :)

TNBronzeback
01-29-2014, 11:04 AM
im developing a small stock pile in the freezer. the future inlaws love Crappie so when a fry happens, i need a decent pile of filets to keep in good graces! HA!
Son-In-Laws know no wrath like the hunger of Mom-in Law and Dad-in-Law after you promise a load of fish and run out! LOL.

Heiny57
01-29-2014, 02:27 PM
I wish there were cleaning stations on JPP.

jad2t
01-29-2014, 02:58 PM
im developing a small stock pile in the freezer. the future inlaws love Crappie so when a fry happens, i need a decent pile of filets to keep in good graces! HA!
Son-In-Laws know no wrath like the hunger of Mom-in Law and Dad-in-Law after you promise a load of fish and run out! LOL.

Of course that stockpile is to be no larger than 2x the daily limit or you're violating one of the most ridiculous, and devoid of logic, rules the TWRA has ever come up with :D

Situation A - I catch my limit of Crappie on Day 1, on Day 2 me and my family eat all of them. This continues for 3 total days of catching and eating the next day.

Situation B - I catch my limit of Crappie 3 consecutive days, store them in the freezer to be eaten at a later time.

Both situations equal me catching a total of 3 limits of Crappie in one week, situation A is legal, situation B is illegal. Explain that one.

I hope to get some piles of Crappie fillets in my freezer come this Spring. I'm really going to dedicate some time to getting after them this year.

jad2t
01-29-2014, 03:04 PM
I wish there were cleaning stations on JPP.

No kidding, there really needs to be. There's a nice one in the campground below Center Hill Dam.

XxthejuicexX
01-29-2014, 03:18 PM
Of course that stockpile is to be no larger than 2x the daily limit or you're violating one of the most ridiculous, and devoid of logic, rules the TWRA has ever come up with :D

Situation A - I catch my limit of Crappie on Day 1, on Day 2 me and my family eat all of them. This continues for 3 total days of catching and eating the next day.

Situation B - I catch my limit of Crappie 3 consecutive days, store them in the freezer to be eaten at a later time.

Both situations equal me catching a total of 3 limits of Crappie in one week, situation A is legal, situation B is illegal. Explain that one.

I hope to get some piles of Crappie fillets in my freezer come this Spring. I'm really going to dedicate some time to getting after them this year.

My grandfather was telling me about this law. His friend he fishes with told him that he could get in big trouble because he has a freezer full of crappie from this year. I think that's absolutely stupid.

TNBronzeback
01-29-2014, 04:17 PM
Yeah that is a pretty lame rule. i suppose its illegal to have venison in the freezer from last year if you tagged out this year too right since you technically are "over the harvest limit"

we had a problem in michigan fishing the St. Clair and Detroit Rivers. since both rivers are half canadian and half US, limits were skewed....US you were allowed 5 walleyes, canada you were allowed 6, so technically, in your possession if you had both Canadian and US fishing license, you could have 11 walleyes. the Game Wardens didnt like it cause you couldnt prove where you caught the fish IF a law was being broken. it was a hassle for sure.

MNfisher
01-29-2014, 04:31 PM

Not just TWRA, if not all states, most states.

cat-tales
01-29-2014, 04:48 PM
Hey TNBronzeback, where did you live in MI.? Sounds like my area.

I have a few friends who are MI DNR officers, they determine where you fished Mi. or Can. , and the limit you have as by where you launch and return your boat. Unless you're stopped on the water.

The bigger problem for the DNR was the St. Clair River / Lk. Huron area at Port Huron, legal limit in the River is 13 " and the Lake was 15", the dividing line being Blue Water Bridge.
So they came up with the "wherever you launched from" rule.

Michigan has similar possession laws ( 2 days limit in the freezer) , but they usually use that to prosecute poachers, used to be a lot of walleye poaching for restaurant sales along the St. Clair River.
I've never heard of them busting a regular guy for it.

TNBronzeback
01-29-2014, 05:19 PM
i lived on Macomb County, Clinton Township.
used to catch alot of walleyes pulling wire under and netting smelt under that bridge! Good Times!

cat-tales
02-02-2014, 11:06 AM
Pullin' wire was always fun , not to mention filling the freezer. We lived in Marysville .

Heiny57
02-02-2014, 12:31 PM
Pullin' wire was always fun , not to mention filling the freezer. We lived in Marysville .

OK for us southerners, what is pullin wire. :confused:

cat-tales
02-02-2014, 04:52 PM
"Pullin' wire" is a type of trolling without a fishing rod, some refer to it as "handlining" ........the reel is a spring loaded spool, 8-9 inches in diameter, spooled up with pretty heavy wire line.
The reel is mounted on the forward gunwale of a small (14-16 ft. ) aluminum boat, with a conventional "tiller" outboard.
A heavy sinker ( 1-1 1/2 lb.) with a wire sticking out of the bottom is used to keep the baits ( usually Rapala types) down.

You troll around the river , holding the wire between your thumb & forefinger, staying in contact with the bottom (where the walleyes hang most of the time) , letting wire out or pulling it in .

To my knowledge, the technique was started on the St. Clair River / Detroit River . It is outlawed on the Professional Walleye Trail I think.

An extremely effective way to catch walleyes in a river setting, especially with the strong currents.

Believe it or not, it can become addictive. Right TNBronzeback ?!?

Heiny57
02-02-2014, 05:12 PM
Thanks, learned sumthin............:D

TNBronzeback
02-02-2014, 05:23 PM
That is correct! its considered "meat fishing" since it removes alot of the sporting aspect. Its a simplified hands on down rigging i guess would be a way to put it. Since the rivers there are so deep its the easiest, most effective way to load the boat. Best night i ever had was sun down to 4am and we boated upwards to 150 walleyes and about 12 salmon and browns mixed in.
Now im in favor of catching fish and having fun, but pulling wire is hard work and straining and to be honest its not alot of fun. Which is why its called meat fishing. Its fun if youve never done it and its a really cool technique, but it is work. Very very precise fishing is why its so effective.

Fish Whisperer
02-02-2014, 06:24 PM
This reminds me of the people that used "power lines" to fish from Chicagos lakefront.. They would use fire extinguishers to shoot heavy weights and line into the harbors then slide hundreds of hooks on another line and wait for a bell on on a box to start ringing.. It was fascinating to watch em catch fish, but it made a lot of people mad that they were catching salmon that only charter captains and people with boats had access to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TNBronzeback
02-02-2014, 07:20 PM
Its really interesting in the different regions of just the United States for example of the different methods and tackle that anglers have developed and pioneered over the years to target a specific pecies in a very specific way. Another method we used in michigan was called chugging. It was basically a 2-3oz. Sinker with a treble hook attached with thin nylon cord. You would load the treble up with minnows or crawlers and drop it to the bottom on usually 20-30 lb. Test attached to a piece of wood and you use the same motion as virtical jigging just bouncing it non stop 4-5" off bottom as you drift down river. It was wonderful for boats with no trolling motor or those who couldnt keep control using jig and rod. You get a hit, set the hook and hand over hand the fish in. Very very tiresome but man did it PRODUCE! very "in you face" to the fish cause it was a big, slow moving chunk of easy eats to a lazy 'eye. I wouldnt do it down here for the safety factor of the multitude of wrist breaking, finger cutting species like big cats and stripers, you just wouldnt be able to fish it properly and still react fast enough to prevent injury! lol....fun way to fish though if you havent honed your rod/boat jigging skills.

TNBronzeback
02-02-2014, 07:27 PM
Below is a typical chugging rig. If anybody is intrigued by it and wants to work the biceps while fishing, try making one and give it a try in the river.....might be a secret tip! ;-)

MNfisher
02-02-2014, 07:53 PM
Very intersting! Haven't heard of chugging, but saw lots of hand lining on the Mississippi River between WI and MN

Alphahawk
02-02-2014, 08:10 PM
When working in Saudi and fishing the Red Sea we would see a Saudi fishing with what we called a "Saudi spinning reel". It consisted of a Pepsi can with 80# test Ande mono spooled on the can. He would have a weight.....hook.....and some sort of bait and would twirl it round and round and let it fly. I saw many times these guys hook and land big snappers.....groupers as big as 60 pounds or more. That was something to see. The ones that fished that way were elderly men with hands so rough and hard they were like steel. I was always amazed when I would see that.

Regards

MNfisher
02-02-2014, 08:37 PM
When working in Saudi and fishing the Red Sea we would see a Saudi fishing with what we called a "Saudi spinning reel". It consisted of a Pepsi can with 80# test Ande mono spooled on the can. He would have a weight.....hook.....and some sort of bait and would twirl it round and round and let it fly. I saw many times these guys hook and land big snappers.....groupers as big as 60 pounds or more. That was something to see. The ones that fished that way were elderly men with hands so rough and hard they were like steel. I was always amazed when I would see that.

Regards

I have seen that method below JPP dam several times. Not pulling in big grouper and snapper though ;). Not really pulling anything in.

TNBronzeback
02-02-2014, 09:17 PM
I have seen that method below JPP dam several times. Not pulling in big grouper and snapper though ;). Not really pulling anything in.

ive seen alot of that below old hickory too! ofcourse once the green truck pulls up, the fellas with those cans/bottles quickly chuck them in the rocks and make tracks to higher ground, in the opposite direction! LOL

MNfisher
02-02-2014, 09:40 PM
ive seen alot of that below old hickory too! ofcourse once the green truck pulls up, the fellas with those cans/bottles quickly chuck them in the rocks and make tracks to higher ground, in the opposite direction! LOL

Lol!

jaycee
02-02-2014, 11:25 PM
I have seen the can method used on West Fork Stones River.

agelesssone
02-03-2014, 10:08 AM
You'll see a lot of that below Old Hickory dam at the lock side rocks. Twirl and throw like a lasso.

And if the "green truck" shows up, just walk away and leave the line in the water.

creekcrappie
02-03-2014, 01:51 PM
I see people do the coke can thing all the time on JPP.

Hammy
02-03-2014, 05:42 PM
How many of these cans do they fish with?

Hammy

SAMBOLIE
02-03-2014, 06:44 PM
How many of these cans do they fish with?

Hammy

I think 6. Just curious if Bud or Miller makes the best can for this. Since Alpha has defected to Japanese reels he probably would use a Kirin can.

tacklemake
02-03-2014, 07:41 PM
That depends on whether the can is half full or half empty...............woody

Alphahawk
02-03-2014, 08:23 PM
Say what you will about fishing with the can method but I would bet that originated in a 3rd world country. Saudi was....and really still is a 2nd world country....but it is a pretty cheap way to manage line and be able to cast and catch fish. Plus you got to give it to someone who can pull huge fish in like that hand over hand.

Regards

Jim
02-03-2014, 10:12 PM
I am probably giving away my age and economic status growing up, but I had to be in my teens before I ever got a rod and reel for fishing. Prior to that, my mom gave my brother and me a leftover thread spool from her sewing and we wrapped the fishing line around it. We would have maybe 4 or 5 hooks between us and a few split shots to spend the day in the woods and by the water. We caught tons of sunfish and bullheads and an occasional small northern or bass. I still remember the pull of a big carp or bass and running down the shore trying to keep it from breaking off. I don't think we ever landed anything big, but we sure spent many days trying :)

When my dad took us, we could share his rod and reel and later we got our own. We were plenty happy to catch a big bag of sunfish and a 2lb bass was a trophy.

Now even though I have 8 to 12 rods in the boat just for me, fishing was just as much fun back then as it is now. Times and money levels change, but fishing is fishing and it sure beats sitting at home doing nothing.

Jim

MNfisher
02-04-2014, 06:12 AM
Say what you will about fishing with the can method but I would bet that originated in a 3rd world country. Saudi was....and really still is a 2nd world country....but it is a pretty cheap way to manage line and be able to cast and catch fish. Plus you got to give it to someone who can pull huge fish in like that hand over hand.

Regards

I would like to watch them pull a big grouper in hand over hand! That's impressive! No 2 lb test there! Lol