PDA

View Full Version : Lead Head Jigs

TNBronzeback
01-06-2014, 10:46 PM
Hey guys, the boat & fishing show is coming up next month and last year there was a vendor there selling unpainted lead heads in bulk for super cheap. They came in a clear bag and i think the maker was Po' Boy or Poor Boy. Is anybody familiar with them? Are they local for purchase outside of the fishing show?
I plan on loading up again this year but it would be nice if they were local to buy them thru out the year.
Thanks!

Fish Whisperer
01-06-2014, 11:37 PM
Po' Boy makes heavy sauger jigs with a stinger hook attached to it.. If they're selling unpainted jigs cheap, it may make it worth going to the boat/fishing show...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

tacklemake
01-07-2014, 08:42 AM
You can go to Walkers Bait and Tackle in Hendersonville and get them there all year round...................woody

TNBronzeback
01-07-2014, 09:31 AM
yeah i got several bags at last years fishing show and they were cheap, so i plan on doing the same thing again this year, just get more and different sizes. if i remember right, it was like $3 or something for 50 1/4 oz. heads. and other sizes and quantities.
I was at walkers saturday morning. pretty nice place. They are still getting inventory in but its gonna be a nice place. They have some great minnows too, the nice shiners!

creekcrappie
01-23-2014, 08:37 PM
Do they sell 1/16 ounce lead heads? Also, do any of you guys powder paint jig heads? I am looking to get into that.

littlebartlett
01-23-2014, 10:01 PM
This might be him. I think I remember him saying he would make to order. I kept his card.

Po' Boys Baits
915 Lemont Ct.
Nashville, TN 37216
Jimmy Hymer
615-227-2309

Catch & Release
01-23-2014, 10:27 PM
yeah i got several bags at last years fishing show and they were cheap, so i plan on doing the same thing again this year, just get more and different sizes. if i remember right, it was like $3 or something for 50 1/4 oz. heads. and other sizes and quantities.
I was at walkers saturday morning. pretty nice place. They are still getting inventory in but its gonna be a nice place. They have some great minnows too, the nice shiners!

That is cheap, over the years I have poured up and painted many, if I could of got them that cheap, I wouldn't of ever invested all that time and money into pouring my own.

agelesssone
01-23-2014, 11:37 PM
Do they sell 1/16 ounce lead heads? Also, do any of you guys powder paint jig heads? I am looking to get into that.

Isaac, all it takes is the powdered paint you buy from BassPro or online, a cheapo toaster oven, and a heat source like a propane torch or gas stove burner. I just heat the jigs up for a few seconds over my propane torch, dip them in the paint color of my choosing, hang them on a wire rack to cool.

After they cool, use a jig "eye buster" to break the paint out of the hook eye, hang them on the wire rack in the oven, turn it on to 350 degrees for 20 minutes and you are done. Let them cool and there you go. Be sure to get the paint out of the hook eye before you bake the jigs. Very tough to do after they've been baked. I know, I didn't clear the eyes on my first batch. Hard lesson to learn.

tacklemake
01-24-2014, 02:53 AM

Anything you want know about making and powder painting and tying I have done for over 23 years my young friend..................woody

tacklemake
01-24-2014, 03:03 AM
Isaac, all it takes is the powdered paint you buy from BassPro or online, a cheapo toaster oven, and a heat source like a propane torch or gas stove burner. I just heat the jigs up for a few seconds over my propane torch, dip them in the paint color of my choosing, hang them on a wire rack to cool.

After they cool, use a jig "eye buster" to break the paint out of the hook eye, hang them on the wire rack in the oven, turn it on to 350 degrees for 20 minutes and you are done. Let them cool and there you go. Be sure to get the paint out of the hook eye before you bake the jigs. Very tough to do after they've been baked. I know, I didn't clear the eyes on my first batch. Hard lesson to learn.

Find a wire that will fit through the eye of that size hook and heat the end till it's red hot and it will go right through the painted eye.................woody

Jigemjigs
01-24-2014, 03:54 AM
I'm not familar with that company but I make jigheads and hair jigs my 1/32 and 1/16oz. has 2 keepers on it my price for those are $0.12 ea. for the unpainted ones if interested message me I would appreciate the opportunity and the business

walkersbaitandtackle
01-28-2014, 05:49 PM

walkersbaitandtackle
01-28-2014, 05:52 PM
Yes we do carry the 1/16 jig head. We carry the 10 pack or I can order you bulk for you. We are located at 105 Sandersferry Rd Hendersonville.

BMelton
02-10-2014, 02:31 PM
Po Boys is great! Support local small business whenever possible. Whether it be Po Boys or whomever... Sure you may pay a couple more pennies, but those pennies stay here in America!!!

creekcrappie
02-10-2014, 02:50 PM
I bought jigheads, buzz baits,and some slab spoons from po' boys. They all look great. I have yet to test the buzz baits and slab spoons yet, but the jig heads preform like any other. All the baits were very cheap. 4 for $5 for buzz baits. $0.50 for each slab spoon. $0.75 for 10 pack of 1/16 ounce jig heads.

TNBronzeback
02-10-2014, 03:24 PM
i spent about $30 at thier place. they had blade baits for $2 each of all weights so i got a half dozen of those. then i got a mixed assortment of thier jigheads from 3/8oz all the way down to 1/32oz, i think i got 3 bags of each size.
whats nice about thier jigs, is the hooks are strong, but they have enough flex in them to straighten out on a snag.
Oh i got some of thier Tennessee Rig things also, thinking they might work out very well for white bass in a few weeks! at the very least, they will be turned into catfish rigs with a 3-bait buffet per rod! HA HA

creekcrappie
02-10-2014, 05:59 PM
i have a question. What would you use an 1/4 ounce or bigger jig head for?

agelesssone
02-10-2014, 06:06 PM
Bass, walleyes, sauger. For fishing bottom in deeper water.

XxthejuicexX
02-10-2014, 06:06 PM

I throw a swimbait on a head that large. A rigging or single.

MNfisher
02-10-2014, 08:23 PM

I have used jigheads as large as 3 oz before below tailraces targeting large striper. Allows you to cast far and gets your bait down during extremely fast water.

SAMBOLIE
02-11-2014, 06:37 AM
I have used jigheads as large as 3 oz before below tailraces targeting large striper. Allows you to cast far and gets your bait down during extremely fast water.

My now deceased aunt loved to fish. She used old spark plugs to cast far from shore. Of course she never figured out how to make them into a jighead. I wonder if that could be patented.

TNBronzeback
02-11-2014, 08:49 AM
My now deceased aunt loved to fish. She used old spark plugs to cast far from shore. Of course she never figured out how to make them into a jighead. I wonder if that could be patented.

yeah buddy, ive used all kinds of things to use as sinkers. Old bolts, big washers, tire weights work pretty good.
when your hard up for cash (or realize that your gonna lose almost everything catfishing from the bank at old hickory, you quickly become a sinker engineer)
i was fishing the steps at Rockland Park at Old Hickory dam one afternoon with my brother for walleyes and saugers. just casting leadheads and tails, it was getting prime time for the evening bite when we got there, current was perfect, water clarity was perfect. in the first 5 minutes we were there, i lost 10 leadheads on 10 casts, after i snapped the 10th one off and preparing to throw the rod into the water, i calmly reeled up the slack line, grabbed what was left of my leadheads and headed toward the truck mumbling obscenities and how the river should just dry the "bleep" up! LOL. it was just not a good night!

SAMBOLIE
02-11-2014, 09:08 AM
yeah buddy, ive used all kinds of things to use as sinkers. Old bolts, big washers, tire weights work pretty good.
when your hard up for cash (or realize that your gonna lose almost everything catfishing from the bank at old hickory, you quickly become a sinker engineer)
i was fishing the steps at Rockland Park at Old Hickory dam one afternoon with my brother for walleyes and saugers. just casting leadheads and tails, it was getting prime time for the evening bite when we got there, current was perfect, water clarity was perfect. in the first 5 minutes we were there, i lost 10 leadheads on 10 casts, after i snapped the 10th one off and preparing to throw the rod into the water, i calmly reeled up the slack line, grabbed what was left of my leadheads and headed toward the truck mumbling obscenities and how the river should just dry the "bleep" up! LOL. it was just not a good night!

You sir are a dedicated fisherman.
Sometimes I think those fishing trips were better than the ones where we have everything we can buy.

TNBronzeback
02-11-2014, 09:49 AM
I should probably know who said this, but i dont, but the quote goes:
Neccessity is the mother of invention.

They havent all been "poor poor me" situations. alot of them were totally self inflicted. like not having an anchor in the boat and needing to shuffle to shore to grab a rock and rig up a "hail mary" knot and hope it holds.
or my personal favorite, giving the old Danforth Anchor with 3ft of heavy galvanized chain a heave ho in the river and realizing ya never tied the rope to the boat, $40 anchor, $30 chain and about $30 of high quality rope sitting at the bottom of the Detroit River right in front of the Joe Louis Area! LOL

Oh the books we could write as sportsman about our mis-haps and close encounters of the idiotic kind!