PDA

View Full Version : JPP crappie 6/10/13

agelesssone
06-10-2013, 09:55 PM
Fishing was slow on Priest for us this morning.

Started fishing brushpiles with minnows and bobbers at 6:15 AM. Tried three different places that normally produce. Picked up 6 keepers total.

After spending three hours to catch 6 fish, moved on to trolling crankbaits.

Using Bandit 200's, Bandit 300's, SJR 4's and 5's managed to pick up another 12 and numerous shorts.

A very slow day indeed, after last weeks total.

Alphahawk
06-10-2013, 10:10 PM
Sounds like a good day. With the water heating up I would think the crappie are changing their haunts.

Regards

agelesssone
06-11-2013, 01:43 PM
Alphahawk,
they were there in the brushpiles, just weren't in a feeding mood.

I could easily see them on my graph, could tell the depth they were holding at, just couldn't entice them. I went to crankbaits to get "reaction" strikes. I wasn't getting much action at my normal 1.5-1.6 MPH so I kicked it up to 1.7-1.8 MPH. Then I started catching more fish. Once I started trolling over the same brushpiles, the action picked up......but comparatively, still was slow fishing.

And the bite started later in the day than it normally does.

Alphahawk
06-11-2013, 06:16 PM
Alphahawk,

I could easily see them on my graph, could tell the depth they were holding at, just couldn't entice them. I went to crankbaits to get "reaction" strikes. I wasn't getting much action at my normal 1.5-1.6 MPH so I kicked it up to 1.7-1.8 MPH. Then I started catching more fish. Once I started trolling over the same brushpiles, the action picked up......but comparatively, still was slow fishing.

Good you had plan B....C...and so on in mind. That's frustrating knowing they are there and yet don't hit....have read many articles about getting crappie to bite. Changing the speed was always the first one mentioned when trolling....and casting. One so called guru had 26 different types of retrieves when casting and would go through them all until he stared catching crappie....shoot I only have about 4 or 5 that I try...LOL.

Regards

chaseasl
06-11-2013, 08:37 PM
Still sounds like you had a descent mess

agelesssone
06-11-2013, 09:07 PM
I gave all the fish to my fishing partner for the day. He seemed to be pleased with them.

StriperFan
06-12-2013, 05:05 AM
Alphahawk,

I have had the same thing happen with schools of hybrids on JPP and Tims Ford as well. If a school is clearly marked and no biters, then I just keep moving. After marking a couple or three schools and switching up baits, colors, or speed I have gone back to marked schools 3-4 hours later and find them biting.

commdd
06-12-2013, 06:53 AM
ageless, good report and good catching, were they on the deeper or shallower crankbaits? alpha, 26 retrieves...made me laugh!

agelesssone
06-12-2013, 05:17 PM
We caught most of the fish on the Bandit 200. Had both out, three 300's and three 200's. Same colors of baits, just different depths. 200's outfished the 300's 2-1 so we switched for a total of five rods w/200's and one with a 300. The 300 in baby bass was a good producer so we left it on.

Tried to fish in 15-18 FOW most of the time.

I'm going to try spider rigging that same area before the weekend crazies get here