PDA

View Full Version : Jpp 4/25-26

FloatNFish
04-27-2013, 01:24 PM
I was able to take advantage of some of the nice weather we've been having and got out camping with a buddy Thursday night on Priest. We launched at Hamilton Creek around 4 and were heading for the island. Dropped our gear, gathered firewood, made camp, and had a line in the water around 6. I managed a short crappie and a couple gills but that was about it for the night.

We walked up to the cliffs around 11 and while we were there fish were hitting the surface below us about every 30 seconds to a minute. They were doing this all down the cliff face over the river channel. Anyone have any idea what I can target these fish with? I had been indulging a bit in the libations and didn't think launching the boat to try for them was in our best interest...:D

Yesterday morning we took our time packing up camp and were off the island around 11. We stopped by Seven Points area and fished for a couple hours. I was fishing Trout Magnets and my buddy was fishing small creature baits. I outfished him probably 50-0. Those things just catch fish!

I was fishing bison color most of the time, picking up gills and a couple small bass close to shore. When that slowed down I switched to purple redemption and caught a nice 13" crappie on the first cast. Followed that up with a couple more bass shortly after. Are these largemouth or spots? I took one picture with mouth closed just haven't looked at the regs yet.

We stopped at a stake bed on the way back to the ramp but didn't have any luck. Water was about 62 the whole trip. It sure did feel good to be outside! I'm hoping to get back out early next week.

-Alex

Travis C.
04-27-2013, 02:00 PM
That sounds like a great time. I like that boat as well.

Typical Spotted bass pics a splotchy green back, bright white belly with scales that seem to be in rows of dark spots and the jaw not extending past the eye.

Fun to catch.

vincent
04-27-2013, 04:28 PM
Great pics...

MNfisher
04-27-2013, 04:53 PM
Awesome! I could be wrong, but I would say those were hybrid or rockfish busting along the river channel. If you could get to casting distance of those fish, a slow reeled Redfin most of the time does the job. So slow it creates a wake. They will tear it up if they are active hybrid and striper.

Great pics!

Alphahawk
04-27-2013, 06:35 PM
Nice pics! Nice fish and boat as well. Glad you had a good trip.

Regards

Aquaholic6801
04-27-2013, 07:48 PM
Also a Zara Spook, Jumping Minnow or a Zoom Fluke when they are busting bait.....

FloatNFish
04-29-2013, 01:04 PM
Thanks guys!

I'm going back out tonight to try my luck.

Any advice on getting spooks to walk-the-dog?

-Alex

MNfisher
04-29-2013, 01:09 PM
Thanks guys!

I'm going back out tonight to try my luck.

Any advice on getting spooks to walk-the-dog?

-Alex
Just a steady jerk, about 2 per second, with the rod rip down near the water or parallel to the water should do the trick! Good luck!

MNfisher
04-29-2013, 03:09 PM
Beware, the lake level is about 6 feet higher than last weekend!

Aquaholic6801
04-29-2013, 07:21 PM
Beware, the lake level is about 6 feet higher than last weekend!

Its been pretty high the last 2 days and fishing has sucked for me...yesterday one cat fish on an 1/8th ounce jig and a 6 lbs Hybrid on a yellowtail.....12 crappie today with 3 keepers...and one 2 lb smallmouth....

chaseasl
04-29-2013, 09:16 PM
Sounds like a lot of fun

FloatNFish
04-29-2013, 09:55 PM
So...I made an executive decision and went to eat sushi with a couple friends and didn't feel like messing with the boat when I got home. Heading out tomorrow afternoon with a buddy instead. We'll probably stay until dark to see if I can pick some up on top water.

Hey Mike and Aqua -- is the water stained too or just high?

-Alex

Aquaholic6801
04-30-2013, 04:45 AM
Its just high, its actually the clearest I have seen it in a long while, but there is a lot of debris floating around as of yesterday.....