PDA

View Full Version : New river near Asheville NC

j19bill
10-18-2012, 01:56 PM
Im looking to see if any of you have any fishing info for the Ivy River over in NC. My wife and I are going to Asheville for a few days in the beginning of November. I found a cabin right next to the Ivy River and would like to get a line wet while im there. Ive found some things online but i would lie some first hand accounts.

Thanks,

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Travis C.
10-18-2012, 02:51 PM
I have never been but almost all the streams that run into the French Broad on that side of Douglas lake headwaters hold trout. The Ivy Creek (River) gets hatchery stocking. Just be sure to check regs incase you wanted to fry one up for a meal as a lot of western NC streams are Delayed Harvest Oct-March where you can't keep anything.

j19bill
10-18-2012, 02:53 PM
Ok i got some confusion on what the body of water is called. The owners call it Ivy River. A reviewer of the cabin calls it New River and Google maps calls it Ivy Creek. Im going to go with Ivy river. So any info would be helpful.

Travis C.
10-18-2012, 02:59 PM
Ivy Creek is also called the Ivy River if I am not mistaken.

If you are going to the New then thats a whole other can of worms and great fishery.

j19bill
10-18-2012, 03:14 PM
I have never been but almost all the streams that run into the French Broad on that side of Douglas lake headwaters hold trout. The Ivy Creek (River) gets hatchery stocking. Just be sure to check regs incase you wanted to fry one up for a meal as a lot of western NC streams are Delayed Harvest Oct-March where you can't keep anything.

Awesome I guess i need to do some more investigation. Atlest i know there maybe trout there. From what i can tell on google maps, is that the cabin is on the bank but i can't see the water due to trees. Thanks for the help.

Travis C.
10-18-2012, 03:24 PM
Hey no problem. Also, thanks for the review on the Redington boots. Those will be my next pair. Unfortunately, I just bought some earlier due to the soles coming off my old pair but next ones will be those.

j19bill
10-18-2012, 03:32 PM
Hey no problem. Also, thanks for the review on the Redington boots. Those will be my next pair. Unfortunately, I just bought some earlier due to the soles coming off my old pair but next ones will be those.

They are really good reasonably priced wading boots. Just remember they run way big.

j19bill
11-08-2012, 10:00 AM
Wanted to throw some pictures up. Views from the back porch and some of the water. Its shallow by the cabin pit to looks like there is a pool up and down stream. I ran off and left my waders at home so exploring the water will have to wait until it warms up tomorrow...unless i can talk my wife into letting me buy a new pair from hunter banks today.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/08/agyzaguz.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/08/7e2anyna.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/08/2eva7ytu.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/08/8y9e2u6y.jpg

Travis C.
11-08-2012, 03:40 PM
Looks awesome man.

Hunter Banks is an $$$$$$$$$$ but cool store. :D

I like One Fly in Black Mountain too. There maybe still be a shirt or two from them in closet. Crazy thing about their shirts though after about a month or so of wearing time the sleeves come undone. Every one has ended up sleeve-less.

j19bill
11-08-2012, 08:26 PM
No doubt about the $. Super nice people though. Awesome mural!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/09/yze5a2eg.jpg

j19bill
11-08-2012, 08:29 PM
I like One Fly in Black Mountain too. There maybe still be a shirt or two from them in closet. Crazy thing about their shirts though after about a month or so of wearing time the sleeves come undone. Every one has ended up sleeve-less.

Shirts with sleeves are overrated just ask Larry the cable guy. :D

bd-
11-09-2012, 09:26 AM
I don't know that particular stream, but I spent last weekend in the Smokies and will be back this weekend. The mountain streams all fish at least a little bit alike.

Concentrate on deep troughs and slower water pools. Sandy threw a lot of cold rain and even some snow in the very high elevations, and that cold water is running down into the streams now. The fish are a little chilled and lethargic from the downturn in temperature. Not much going on in the fast water.

We did well in the mountain rivers last weekend, but we ran into a lot of people who weren't catching anything because they were concentrating on the more "fishy" looking swift riffles and pocket water. The fast water fishes great in warmer weather but not so much right now.

bd

Travis C.
11-09-2012, 09:29 AM
I don't know that particular stream, but I spent last weekend in the Smokies and will be back this weekend. The mountain streams all fish at least a little bit alike.

bd

Are you guys fishing dry's to hatches up there or nymphing?

Catchingtrout
11-20-2012, 07:06 PM
I will be in Asheville/Waynesville next week. I am familiar with several creeks and rivers in the area so don't be shy.