PDA

View Full Version : Sauger

ALANRAYG2
01-16-2012, 10:50 AM
Well, I finally got out yesterday. I met my fishing buddy at the ramp at 7am and we fished until dark. Needless to say we were tired. We haven't fished for sauger for 2 years. So bouncing jigs all day was a tiring. We ended the day with 20 sauger in the livewell. We caught and tossed back several nice stripe in the 1-1/2 range, a flathead about 7 lbs, and small blue cat, and a 10lb drum. All in all we had a great day.
The fish were in the 28 to 33 foot range. water themp was 46.5 to start and was 47.4 when we ended the day. clarity was stained.

DUCK_2
01-16-2012, 10:58 AM
Sounds like a good trip. Were you fishing KY Lake? We fished south of Cuba Landings a few weeks ago and caught 10 in two days. I heard towards Clifton and the dam was getting real good.

ALANRAYG2
01-16-2012, 11:03 AM
We were south of the duck and north of Pickwick Dam. I have heard a few good reports from the Duck River area. Have you heard any reports from New Johnsonville to Paris?

DUCK_2
01-17-2012, 01:06 PM
No I have not. I never go up that way. Was there a special color that worked well for you? We went through everything and I could not get a pattern down.

ALANRAYG2
01-17-2012, 03:21 PM
I tie my own crappie and sauger jigs. Sunday the sauger had a preference for a flame red head with eyes. A woolly bugger medium chartreuse body and an olive green back and chartreuse belly made from bucktail. The jighead was a 1-1/4 oz wedge type head. We also used a 1-oz foot ball head with the same color pattern.
We caught some on an 1-1/4 head with painted orange and chartreuse fish hair for a skirt.
we added a large minnow on the jig hook. I think the stinger hooks were # 6's or maybe #8's trebles .