PDA

View Full Version : Montgomery Bell State Park fishing?

Jim
02-03-2011, 10:58 PM
Has anyone ever fished in the lakes at Montgomery Bell State Park? I will be down there next month and hope to have a few hours to fish. There are three lakes and I think they are typical bass/sunfish/catfish lakes. But some local knowledge would be a great help.

Thanks,
Jim

hogdawg
02-04-2011, 03:37 AM
I have fished Acorn years ago and there are some decent bass in there. You can usually catch lots of small crappie fishing off the boat dock with small curly tail grubs or tubes throwing out as far as you can. Usually they start showing up earlier than other lakes like late Feb or early March but since it has been colder than usual I don't know if this will hold true.

Reel Tune
02-04-2011, 09:24 AM
We went out there last spring early in the year, I pick up a lot of fish on electronics, suspected bluegill or crappie, saw some 15-25lb carp shallow, and a couple nice size bass on a drop off in some trees. Sarah done well on bluegill, and Crappie, I couldn't seem to entice the bass only caught a few small ones on a spinnerbait. I know there are good fish in there it's just finding what they want.

Good Luck,
Jeremy

Jim
02-04-2011, 10:55 AM
Thanks guys,

I will be shore fishing so I will probably hit the boat docks and the dam. Good to hear that there a good numbers of crappie. I hope they have moved up by the start of March.

Jim