FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 02-03-2011, 10:58 PM

Default Montgomery Bell State Park fishing?

Has anyone ever fished in the lakes at Montgomery Bell State Park? I will be down there next month and hope to have a few hours to fish. There are three lakes and I think they are typical bass/sunfish/catfish lakes. But some local knowledge would be a great help.

Thanks,
Jim
Old 02-04-2011, 03:37 AM
hogdawg

I have fished Acorn years ago and there are some decent bass in there. You can usually catch lots of small crappie fishing off the boat dock with small curly tail grubs or tubes throwing out as far as you can. Usually they start showing up earlier than other lakes like late Feb or early March but since it has been colder than usual I don't know if this will hold true.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:24 AM
Fishing TN Staff

We went out there last spring early in the year, I pick up a lot of fish on electronics, suspected bluegill or crappie, saw some 15-25lb carp shallow, and a couple nice size bass on a drop off in some trees. Sarah done well on bluegill, and Crappie, I couldn't seem to entice the bass only caught a few small ones on a spinnerbait. I know there are good fish in there it's just finding what they want.

Good Luck,
Jeremy
Old 02-04-2011, 10:55 AM

Thanks guys,

I will be shore fishing so I will probably hit the boat docks and the dam. Good to hear that there a good numbers of crappie. I hope they have moved up by the start of March.

Jim