PDA

View Full Version : Black Nose at Center Hill.

Alphahawk
03-29-2017, 04:45 PM
Had multiple limits of black nose crappie at Center Hill today......a buddy was fishing with me. We just continued to fish after we loaded the live well.....the bite was hot all day. Lure of choice was a ThunderHawk Midnight Blue Dancer on a 1/8 ounce Micro Fry jig head with #6 hook. Rod used today was the "Ice Cube Rockin' Drift". The 6' 9" Mebaru rod out of Japan.....a fish breathes on it you can feel it! Reel was a Daiwa Certate 2004 CH spooled with SOS 2# test line and 2# test Phantom fluro leader. Most fish 12-13 inches.....if it wasn't over 11.5 it did not go in the live well. A lot of fun on the UL rod and 2# test line. Life is good!

Regards

XxthejuicexX
03-29-2017, 07:10 PM
Dang. When you decide to start a guide service sign me up :) Is there any local store that sells a full line of trout/crappie magnet stuff?

Alphahawk
03-29-2017, 07:28 PM
Dang. When you decide to start a guide service sign me up :) Is there any local store that sells a full line of trout/crappie magnet stuff?

Thanks for the comment but I wouldn't make a pimple on a good guides butt....LOL. I don't know of anyplace that carries the whole line.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

commdd
03-29-2017, 07:59 PM
alpha, great job! nice bunch of fish, what was the water temp over there today?

Halli
03-29-2017, 08:28 PM

Yep They have singed with WallyWorld under the Duck Dynasty brand (FIN Commander)!
Bought a bunch of Crappie stuff today to include some Roadrunner knock offs.

Transplanted Sportsman
03-29-2017, 10:05 PM
Dang!!, you are killing me Mr Randy!, congrats!, those crappie are colored up good!

XxthejuicexX
03-29-2017, 10:19 PM
Yep They have singed with WallyWorld under the Duck Dynasty brand (FIN Commander)!
Bought a bunch of Crappie stuff today to include some Roadrunner knock offs.

I was wondering what FIN commander was. What walmart? We've got the road runner style heads at Academy, I picked some up tonight.

Mikeyrrt
03-29-2017, 10:31 PM
Nice haul !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alphahawk
03-30-2017, 05:17 AM
I was wondering what FIN commander was. What walmart? We've got the road runner style heads at Academy, I picked some up tonight.

Fin Commander has 3 new baits. The Slab Curly......the Curly Critter.....and the Fin Spin....which is a dart head with a spinner blade. You will also see Crappie Magnet and Slab Magnet sold under the Fin Spin brand....and those are still sold under the Leland's Lures brand also. As of today all Fin Commander products are available on the Trout Magnet website. I have yet to try any of the Fin Commander line...but will soon.

Regards

Lepomis
03-30-2017, 08:20 AM
Alphahawk-Not expecting you to pinpoint your crappie spots, but would you talk in generalities about what type of structure or location you are locating these crappie on? What little I know of Center Hill it doesn't appear to have a lot of trees and brush, so it's possibly some sort of natural rock formation or particular type of bank or cove? Any advice you could offer would seem to be applicable to other reservoirs like Dale Hollow or Normandy that are in similar geologic regions. Thanks

Farley
03-30-2017, 09:15 AM
Alpha, are you finding a pretty high percentage of those crappie from up there have the little red parasites in the meat? I know it's not a deal, just more protein, as long as they are cooked, I just found it curious.

Alphahawk
03-30-2017, 09:15 AM
Alphahawk-Not expecting you to pinpoint your crappie spots, but would you talk in generalities about what type of structure or location you are locating these crappie on? What little I know of Center Hill it doesn't appear to have a lot of trees and brush, so it's possibly some sort of natural rock formation or particular type of bank or cove? Any advice you could offer would seem to be applicable to other reservoirs like Dale Hollow or Normandy that are in similar geologic regions. Thanks

Finding crappie on Center Hill can be a problem...as you stated not much wood. But if you can find wood they will most likely be on it. What I would do is hit the coves and fish the points of the pockets in those coves. Try to find where the water suddenly drops off the bank from 2 feet down to about 5-8 feet. These crappie spawn in the rocks.....big chunk rock...and flat rock areas. If you find these spots that hold crappie mark them....they will most likely return to same place next year. It can take time when looking for them. I will try beating the banks of a cove I have not fished before and if I catch a crappie I have a marker buoy ready to toss over the side....he is not there alone. Hope this has helped you.

Regards

Alphahawk
03-30-2017, 09:24 AM
Alpha, are you finding a pretty high percentage of those crappie from up there have the little red parasites in the meat? I know it's not a deal, just more protein, as long as they are cooked, I just found it curious.

Yes they are there in some of the fish. Those I cleaned yesterday were virtually free of them. I just take my finger nail and scrape them out. But as you said once they hit that grease at 360 degrees they ain't gonna hurt anyone....LOL. I bet many people eat crappie and never know they are there. I have never seen any of those in the crappie from Nickajack.....but they could show up in the next bunch I catch down there.

Regards

Saltwaterwalt
03-30-2017, 10:44 AM
Nice fish Alpha, but it's those rods ya post that always gets my attention. Your rods cost more than my first car! But then, I'm dating myself again... LOL.

XxthejuicexX
03-30-2017, 09:04 PM
Nice fish Alpha, but it's those rods ya post that always gets my attention. Your rods cost more than my first car! But then, I'm dating myself again... LOL.

Yeah, I stopped looking into his rods.... I spend enough money on fishing, don't need to get into JDM.

Alphahawk
03-30-2017, 10:00 PM
I tell you about these rods. It is what I choose to spend money on....it's why I don't have any spare money also....LOL. Almost 95 percent of my fishing is finesse fishing with a micro jig. These rods are designed to cast a jig that weighs less than 1 gram.......and feel it on your retrieve. The key is when you no longer feel the resistance of your jig a fish has it and you set the hook. These are made to be the most sensitive rods on the planet....but it is not about sensitivity in the traditional sense. It is uncanny fishing with one of these. They are designed to catch tiny horse mackerel. The Japanese fish for these because they are hard to catch.....good to eat.....very hard to feel the bite.....thus requiring a sensitive rod. It is about the tips that allow you to feel the "off bite" vs the "on bite". The on bite is when a fish hits and turns to run....the off bite is when the fish sucks the bait in and sits there or even swims toward you at the same space you are reeling. So upon reading about all of that I thought these rods would be perfect for crappie and or bluegill.....and they are. Now if someone thinks I am saying one needs to have a rod like this to catch fish I am not. I fish with these for that "off bite"...that just maybe a 16 inch crappie or 10 inch bluegill that I might have never felt and the fish would blow the lure before I set the hook....I could get those fish. If I really wanted to step up I could use the line the Japanese use to make this the ultimate setup...1.5# test fluorocarbon. I did it for a while and it is something else using that line...but you can't buy 1.5# test FC here and it is expensive to order out of Japan or Europe. Now I think I have talked myself into ordering some more 1.5# test FC line....LOL. Life is good!

Regards