PDA

View Full Version : Polite Coaching

SalmonDaze
02-20-2017, 10:06 AM
It's tempting to rant, but instead; here's an open question: do you, or how do you "coach" someone who's completely clueless on boat launch etiquette?

Launched at 7-points yesterday and just watched, in amazement, as a guy parked his SUV on the ramp, unloaded kayak, setup rig on the concrete, tied lures, arranged gear . . . THEN parked SUV (left boat on concrete), and on way back to ramp took several minutes to wait for his DOG to take a dump before proceeding (toy dog in hand) to get into kayak and depart at his leisure.

My response was to just do nothing. It was a nice day, I wasn't in a hurry; but there were several people all waiting for this one guy; and I now think I should have coached him a bit on common courtesy; but after hours on the water, I just got lazy.

What say the brain trust?

MickT
02-20-2017, 10:49 AM
Just back your trailer over the kayak. He won't piddle around again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skillet
02-20-2017, 10:53 AM

This!!! Makes perfect sense!!!!

Or get out of your truck and push it out of the way. Some people are oblivious and ignorant and they need to be "coached" not to do that again.

SalmonDaze
02-20-2017, 11:15 AM

:) Naturally, that was the FIRST thought that crossed my mind. Even with the diesel knocking right in front of him and a couple thousand pounds of trailer and boat staring down . . . no rush, no change in tempo; just "the world waits for me" attitude.

TNBronzeback
02-20-2017, 11:28 AM
I guess it would need to be determined first if they needed coaching on ramp courtesy or if they new and just didnt care. You can teach the ignorant, but you cant fix stupid, rude, ect.
Maybe just a "hey buddy, wanna slide your gear over...." and depending on how they react...proceed as you see fit.
Its the same thing with spring of the year boat launchers too. They back down the ramp THEN assemble thier boat, coolers, floats, test the engine for the first time since last year. Its comical yet a little aggitating.

JeffsLowe
02-20-2017, 12:45 PM
It's tempting to rant, but instead; here's an open question: do you, or how do you "coach" someone who's completely clueless on boat launch etiquette?

Launched at 7-points yesterday and just watched, in amazement, as a guy parked his SUV on the ramp, unloaded kayak, setup rig on the concrete, tied lures, arranged gear . . . THEN parked SUV (left boat on concrete), and on way back to ramp took several minutes to wait for his DOG to take a dump before proceeding (toy dog in hand) to get into kayak and depart at his leisure.

My response was to just do nothing. It was a nice day, I wasn't in a hurry; but there were several people all waiting for this one guy; and I now think I should have coached him a bit on common courtesy; but after hours on the water, I just got lazy.

What say the brain trust?

I likely would have silently waited until he did the doggy dump thing, which would have been my last straw. Then I would have slid his boat out of the way and got on with my launch.

XxthejuicexX
02-20-2017, 01:07 PM
His process is a bit much. I back down the ramp and unload my yak and gear off to the side and then park my truck. My process of dealing with people like this when I have my bass boat is to just back down the ramp. If my trailer comes within inches so be it. I did this to jet skiers last year they parked both right on the ramp so I just slid right in with about 1' of them.

FishAddict
02-20-2017, 08:42 PM
I just tell folks like this that the ramp is for active loading and unloading.

Mike Mofield
02-21-2017, 07:47 PM
I had a guy pull in front of me to unload load his boat, don't know if he just didn't see me or care. I wanted to confront him but
just looked at him as if he was stupid. I wanted to go fishing and not deal with the police so let it go.

Halli
02-22-2017, 07:44 PM
Just say something. He will move or he won't but at least it's been said and
maybe he was just absent minded that day rather than a Bonehead!