PDA

View Full Version : 2 on 1 cast

Headhunter
07-20-2016, 10:14 AM
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p37/headhunter130/2%20on%201_zpsygxxluch.png (http://s124.photobucket.com/user/headhunter130/media/2%20on%201_zpsygxxluch.png.html)

yesterday.

TNBronzeback
07-20-2016, 11:29 AM
Sweet!

jaybird
07-20-2016, 11:31 AM
Awesome. I did that on one cast with an A-rig earlier this year.

Farley
07-20-2016, 12:55 PM
The value of sharp hooks.

agelesssone
07-20-2016, 01:59 PM
I knew a guy back in the day who would do this consistently with a little bitty Heddon Sonic, even did it twice myself.
The He'd don Sonic white with black spots, had rattles in it. This was pre-lipless crankbaits. I believe Sonic was the precursor to rattletraps.

Heiny57
07-20-2016, 02:07 PM
Gotta love it,,,👍🏼

Headhunter
07-20-2016, 03:18 PM
I have had 4 on one cast on an A rig

Pinwheeled
07-20-2016, 04:17 PM

When you're allowed 3 hooks? 🤔

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skillet
07-20-2016, 04:47 PM

Well, I can't say I haven't thrown 5 hooks on an A rig.....or can I??? Either way, I wouldn't tell the world!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jad2t
07-20-2016, 05:12 PM
So I guess I'm not the only one scratching my head at how you hook 4 fish with 3 hooks. More details are needed here, hunter of the heads.

SAMBOLIE
07-20-2016, 05:19 PM
So I guess I'm not the only one scratching my head at how you hook 4 fish with 3 hooks. More details are needed here, hunter of the heads.

Bet they were like those Matryoshka Nesting Dolls. One inside the other.:D

agelesssone
07-20-2016, 07:35 PM
I believe before the three hook law went into effect, we could have five hooks on an A-rig.
The three hook law went into effect in 2013 in TN.
Before that time, 5 hooks were allowed.

white95v6
07-20-2016, 10:01 PM
Not all states have a 3 hook law...he never said it happened in Tennessee

Headhunter
07-21-2016, 08:28 AM
I knew this would get a reply. It is true though. When the A-rig was FIRST available (I purchased 2 from Andy Poss himself) ANYTHING over ONE hook or bait on an A-rig was illegal if the hooks were larger than size 6 or 8 (a bluegill hook for the most part) and that was the law, I did not understand how they were using it in tournaments, this was before the TWRA put the 3 hook law out. The first tournament won using the a-rig in Tennessee, that pro was illegal by the fishing guide. It kind of made me upset, pro tournament fisherman used it to win a tournament and it was illegal. This was before TWRA came out with the 3 hook law. Many were fishing with these baits for a couple years before the law was "defined".

The very first day I threw it, (not sure but 7 or 8 years ago, at least several years ago) I put 5 jig heads and worms or twister tails on since it was illegal to have MORE THAN ONE "bass" sized hook anyways until the TWRA put out a law regarding it. It didn't matter if you had 2, 3, 4 or 5, you were illegal, I asked one game warden what he thought and he said he had no clue. I showed him the fishing guide and he said that law was created because of umbrella rigs and stripers. I only threw it a few casts one afternoon. Tried it on the bottom in schooling fish and never got a hit, don't even think they looked at it and I was catching one most every cast on a crankbait or a plastic worm, I was wondering about the $50 I had spent on the 2 rigs. Same afternoon, some small bass came up in the jumps and they hammered it. Only threw it for a few casts and put it away. Crazy thing is I own probably 20+ a rigs and I have almost never thrown them. I have only used them one other time for a couple days in the Cumberland and got into a huge argument with a guy (this was after the law for them was defined, you can have 5 baits but only 3 hooks) and he was going nuts, I put 5 jig heads on it when fishing for stripers, 3 are gamakatsu jigs and 2 are cheap jigs that I cut the hooks off, leave just enough to hold a swim tail or grub. There are times stripers will hammer them, but I have only ever fished with them a couple mornings. The rest of the time they have been hanging on my peg board at home.

agelesssone
07-22-2016, 07:35 AM
A-rigs were hammering big hybrid, stripers and white bass this spring on Priest.
I was fishing among 4 boats with Laotian on board and out fishing them badly.
They were all dragging/drifting shiners while I was trolling A-rigs.
I caught ten nice hybrids while NONE of them caught a fish. They even asked me what I was using.
Being the guy that I am, I pulled one in and showed him.
I never saw any of them fishing them that spring although I saw those same guys (and still do) all the time.
Here's the scoop....A-rig, five 1/2 oz jigheads, Super Fluke Jr, ice white, cut the hooks off two, super glue Jr's to hook shanks, troll 80 ft back at 1.2-1.4 mph.
That'll catch you some fish!

Headhunter
07-22-2016, 08:13 AM
Yep, I have been told and seen people wearing out hybrids on Priest with the a-rig. I just don't use it. About all I use for hybrids and stripers
is topwater baits. Only reason I used them in the Cumberland a couple of times was just to see if they would hit it.

FloatNFish
07-22-2016, 09:19 AM
I don't really find casting A-Rigs fun. Catching fish on them (and especially doubling up) is a blast but I just feel like I'm trying to launch a bowling ball with my rod. I'll troll A-rigs and U-rigs all day long but I'll leave throwing them to someone else.

jad2t
07-22-2016, 10:04 AM
Yea throwing those things can be tiring after a while even if your rod has some backbone. They certainly do work though. This Spring I had a blast throwing them into schools of striped fish on JPP. Sometimes I'd have a fish on after just a few cranks of the reel. I only have one, 3 jigheads, no blades. I load them up with white/pearl swimbaits and they love it. Its easier to troll them than to cast them.

Sometimes I wish I had a pedal driven kayak since I do enjoy trolling. Throw out crankbaits or A-rigs, paddle, eat lunch since I'm hands free.