FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 04-19-2021, 11:00 AM

Default Hybrids, priest

Got out Sunday. My cousin and his son went with me. We hammered them, largest was just over 15 lbs. All topwater. We used a counter and missed counting a couple but ended up somewhere between 50 and 55 hybrids and caught several that were from 8-10 lbs. Close to the dam.
Old 04-20-2021, 05:04 PM

At night?
Old 04-21-2021, 09:21 AM

Yep and caught them great Monday and Tuesday to.
Old 04-21-2021, 11:29 AM

See any kayakers roaming around luau island?
Old 04-22-2021, 10:04 AM

i have no clue what island that is, but I have not seen any kayakers anywhere near me. Kind of hope not to since I am only fishing after dark. Almost took one out last year. Dead in middle of lake, dark night, no lights, nothing, luckily saw him and stayed away from him. I believe kayakers should have to have a light at all times and also should have to pay and register them.
Old 04-22-2021, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headhunter View Post
i have no clue what island that is, but I have not seen any kayakers anywhere near me. Kind of hope not to since I am only fishing after dark. Almost took one out last year. Dead in middle of lake, dark night, no lights, nothing, luckily saw him and stayed away from him. I believe kayakers should have to have a light at all times and also should have to pay and register them.
Just a light-hearted joke. Local news story about how over a dozen of them - and their dogs - had to be rescued the other day. No idea what was going on, but I chuckled at the story. They couldn't paddle a couple hundred yards to Elm Hill?

https://www.wsmv.com/news/kayakers-d...lock_id=998329

I'm with you on the lighting; they need to adhere to the same navigational aids as any other vessel. Just can't see 'em without lights.
Old 04-22-2021, 07:05 PM

As far as I know they do have to have an all around white light at night
Old 04-26-2021, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
As far as I know they do have to have an all around white light at night
Game warden told me last year, they only have to have a light to turn on. Either way, they should have lights, for sure when they are out in the middle of the lake.
Old 04-26-2021, 10:24 AM

Still catching them. Saturday and sunday, quit counting at 80. I don't keep them, but my friend does. these are in a 58 qt cooler.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hybrid 2021.jpg (254.7 KB, 56 views)
Old 04-27-2021, 01:23 PM

Did the annual pontoon cleaning yesterday. Launched back today and went out before tying back up to the dock . . . way too windy; maybe try tomorrow. Would like to have gone last night and see how that giant moon would have impacted the bite.
Old 04-27-2021, 10:05 PM

Headhunter, what ramp do you launch from at night?

I haven't night fished in several years on JPP since I've heard too many stories about vehicle break-ins after dark at the ramps. But I do miss it at times, especially the low boat traffic compared to daytime.
Old 04-28-2021, 09:03 AM

Depends on wind, but most of the time I launch at four corners and run toward the dam. There are not many ramps I would leave my vehicle at. All my hybrid fishing is from the hobson pike bridge to the dam. It is day to day, didn't catch much Monday, maybe 4 fish, but last night myself and a friend hammered them. From 11 pm to 3 am we caught one every 2 or 3 cast on everything we threw, jumping minnow, pro sizzle jr, redfin, cork and fluke and 4" floating spro. I don't eat them, he kept a couple. 58 qt cooler.

I don't apologize but I am not giving out exact locations. I have spent hundreds and hundreds of hours chasing these fish. All I can tell you is they are findable, just have to spend the time to find them. For sure don't hesitate to fish top water in the middle of the lake in deep water. they can and will be anywhere. One thing I can't convince people of, is I rarely see a blowup, well other than when they hit a lure, almost never see a blow up. If they are blowing up, the fishing is usually not near as good.

Also, for many years, I fish most every single day or night, once I found some fish, they would be there at the same time every day from a few days to as long as 2 weeks. The past few years, they seem to be somewhere different every single time I go. I have no clue why, but it is rare I catch them in the same place at the same time 2 days in a row. I burn a lot of gas chasing them, and some days not only do I not catch a fish, I don't even get a hit, not one. It is weird to, I will pull up, catch one or a couple or several follows or pushes and then nothing. Used to, if you caught a fish or got hit there would be several if not a bunch of hybrids there. I cover a lot of water chasing them, but it is sure worth it when I find them. Last night was rare, we didn't even try to count, but the average hybrid was close to 9 lbs. Those are fun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hybrid 2 2021.jpg (292.8 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by Headhunter; 04-28-2021 at 09:14 AM.
Old 05-04-2021, 08:48 AM

I was out there early Saturday morning hitting all my usual holes from the bridge to the dam. We fished shiners without much luck. Think we missed a couple and caught 2 or 3 under 3lbs. Did pick up a slab crappie in the process though. Saw several guide boats around and from what I could tell they weren't killing them either. Maybe I should have slept in and tried it in the evening or night. Just something about being on the water at sunrise though.
Old 05-04-2021, 09:13 AM

This has been the best year I have had in a while, especially for hybrids over 10 lbs. Any morning the temp gets as cold as it did last Friday and Saturday, I will pass. I primarily topwater fish, but hybrids for sure do not like drops in air temperature, especially anything in the 30's and 40's. I can catch bass at times on those mornings, but never have caught hybrids when it is that cold.