FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 08-30-2021, 11:29 AM

Default What are the odds ?

I have always loved to fish, but have never been all that good with it. Oh I have good days, but more bad then good. However I have to admit that as a boy it was trout fishing in New England, late teens was fishing for bass in Fla and then after 25 yrs of nothing Bass and Catfishing here in Tenn.

I know there are guys that seem to catch all the time... key phrase is seems to or claim to. I mean even your pros don't always catch fish, so this is where I question people that claim to catch every time they go out. Which leads me to to this post...

I know when it comes to fishing I'm not the best, not even mediocre most times so allow me to say I'm not a sore or a poor loser. I join in my local group of cat fishermen to be a part of something, making new friends.

BUT.... There is this old man and his grandson that looks like he could be a cast member in Deliverance. I swear something is up with these two cause they are in the money every single time, most time winning. Their fish size is consistent, always around 18 lbs with 5-7 fish with the occasional 8,9, 10 lber.

My suspicions are based on comparing their catch against what the other guys catch, which they have good and bad days.

It seems too consistent in my book, like they're trying to not draw attention by bringing in too much fish. They hardly ever move once they anchor. All the while every one else is bouncing up and down the river working for their catch, these two might move once or twice and hardly ever the same place twice.

I swear they chum different locations between tourn which are every 2 weeks as we fishing out of different ramps between Carthage and Hartsville.

Am I just over thinking this, Could my suspicions be possible, someone placing everytime and weighing in at around the same weight within a few lbs and consistently placing top 3..?

I question them not because I lose.. I never go with the expectation of winning, but rather that my money is going to cheaters

What are the odds ? Can someone be so lucky every time ?

Last edited by Flatline; 08-30-2021 at 11:32 AM.
Old 08-31-2021, 08:06 AM

You do not have to be the greatest at anything to enjoy it. I may not be the greatest sex partner, however I doubt that anyone who is better enjoys it more.
I once asked my wife why she married me. She replied that she married me because I could always make her laugh. I said that I thought it was because I was great at sex. She said "after all these years you are still hilarious".

Careful with those Deliverance boys. Always face them and if you drop something be sure to kick it far away before bending over to pick it up. Don't want you squealing like a pig (Ned Beatty).

Are the live wells checked before the tournament starts? Could their fish be caught earlier and tied off to pick up later? Some old timers may remember a tournament fisherman who blocked a section with chicken wire and stocked with fish. He then returned there during the tournament and got his fish.

My neighbor worked at Piedmont gas. They had a monthly bass tournament and my neighbor did not have a boat. I had a boat so I could go with his entry. There was a brother and sister team who fished out of about a 12' Jon boat with about a 10 hp motor. Most had big bass rigs. I can't recall the brother sister team ever losing. I do think they were just good at fishing.
Old 08-31-2021, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMBOLIE View Post
You do not have to be the greatest at anything to enjoy it. I may not be the greatest sex partner, however I doubt that anyone who is better enjoys it more.
I once asked my wife why she married me. She replied that she married me because I could always make her laugh. I said that I thought it was because I was great at sex. She said "after all these years you are still hilarious".

I think every man thinks their wives married them for the great sex...

Quote:
Careful with those Deliverance boys. Always face them and if you drop something be sure to kick it far away before bending over to pick it up. Don't want you squealing like a pig (Ned Beatty).

I know you're right... junior, either he is an idiot or plays the part very well... never talks and is always grinning when you talk to him or ask him a question (no he's not autistic I wouldn't make fun of something like that) Grand pa though... I'd say he's a crafty old coot

Quote:
Are the live wells checked before the tournament starts? Could their fish be caught earlier and tied off to pick up later? Some old timers may remember a tournament fisherman who blocked a section with chicken wire and stocked with fish. He then returned there during the tournament and got his fish.

In the beginning there was a live well check but its the same guys every time so they don't check any more. No the cage thing would be to obvious and were fishing the river which gets pretty swift since we are close to the dam. Fish on a stringer could be easily done... I personally think they are baiting the area. I mean how hard is it to tie a chicken to a heavy rock or something like that. I know it sounds like I'm accusing them of cheating... I don't want to to be honest... That is why I'm asking what are the odds of placing every time and winning at least 50% of the time. No one in the group is that consistent, just them.

Quote:
My neighbor worked at Piedmont gas. They had a monthly bass tournament and my neighbor did not have a boat. I had a boat so I could go with his entry. There was a brother and sister team who fished out of about a 12' Jon boat with about a 10 hp motor. Most had big bass rigs. I can't recall the brother sister team ever losing. I do think they were just good at fishing.

Its very well possible.. I'm sure they have fished the area all their lives and probably know the river better then I know my way around the country. I did find a interesting article yesterday describing proven catfish bait and I'm telling you there it covered all types of bait and several of them came with a warning due to the gut wrenching pungent smell.

I do know most of the guys use skipjack pieces, shad guts and garlic salt flavored chicken liver.... however junior and gramps are tight lipped about anything and everything.

Oh well it is what it is... At least I can say I've caught a lake Sturgeon... I don't think they ever have
Old 08-31-2021, 02:30 PM

Default Catfish Stink Bait

So as a general statement you are all using some form of stink bait, whether it be cut bait, chicken parts, whatever. So if they were seeding a location with some form of chum, how is that against the rules? Could it be they are using shrimp soaked in jello powder as their secret weapon? That crap works by the way. Could it be they have some form of bottom structure/feature that breaks current and simply holds catfish, perhaps a hole or a rock or old house foundation? Are they fishing an inside or an outside bend and if it is an outside bend is it up against a bluff where an undercut may exist? Short of running a trot line it would seem pretty difficult to cheat at catfishing.
Old 09-08-2021, 12:44 PM

I classify all men into three distinct categories.

1) Men that don't fish. I don't have much use for these guys

2) Men that fish. I'll listen to them but not really pay too much attention

3) Fishermen. Give them gear and water and they WILL catch fish.
Regardless of the fact they may have never fished that water. These guys I
will hang on every word and try to learn something.

Grandpa and his grandson are fishermen. My guess is they are legit.