FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > General Discussion > Sports Lounge - General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 01-30-2013, 07:24 PM

Default What do y'all think about this?

http://m.wate.com/default.aspx?pid=2...ype%3drssstory
Old 02-01-2013, 12:24 AM
ALANRAYG2

I think we should do everything we can to get those fish out of our lakes. The TN Rives is loaded with the. Sam Lashlee posted some pics from his side scan showing 1000,s of them. There is a show on the outdoor channel called " Bottom Feeders". They catch 10's of thousands of pounds of fish. Most fisheries experts say the asian carp will destroy the domestic fishery. They breed several times a year and eat the microscopic food chain needed for the fry of our sport fish. I saw a test on the Missouri River "I think", They were using gill nets about 4 feet in depth. These were deployed during the heat of summer. Most sport fish are much deeper. Anyway they had good results with the gill nets. I doubt they could be used for fillets though because of spoilage in the heat. Yes they need to go !!!!!
Old 02-01-2013, 07:43 AM

What do the mean by "wider."

If the reference is to openings in the net then I don't think that is a good move. If its reference is to the overall size of the net then that may be another issue and not so bad.

Could they get a study on their habits and fit some regs around when they are most harvestable like summer time high in the water column instead of just turning loose bigger nets? Maybe that would limit accidental catch of other fish.