FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > General Discussion > Sports Lounge - General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 10-27-2012, 12:22 PM

Default 1985 evinrude

Motor sat for awhile prior to me getting it. From the start I changed the tank and line with the primer ball pump thing. The old ones just look old and stiff. Rebuilt the carb. Soaked it for a day. Replaced fuel pump. Replaced both coils.both plug wires, both plugs.

The problem,
Hard to start, when it does start hard to idle, will run above an idle all day. When you go WOT it will only go about 30-40 seconds then start to die down. Never fully dies just looses a lot of power. I can let off the gas for a second or two and get back into and do it all over again. Does not matter if its in neutral in the water or in gear driving. Same result. I could take it somewhere to get fixed I just like to try myself first.
Motor had 120 PSI on both cylinders.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:08 PM

Could this be my problem? It is an elbow coming off of the fuel pum to the carb bowl. It is alot larger going into the TEE and alot smaller going to the Carb.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Fuel Line.jpeg (126.7 KB, 17 views)
Old 10-27-2012, 07:14 PM
Owner and Administrator

Smile Hmmmm <'TK><

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdkxtreme View Post
Could this be my problem? It is an elbow coming off of the fuel pum to the carb bowl. It is alot larger going into the TEE and alot smaller going to the Carb.
JD this could be a number of things ... but the fitting is not the issue ... But it does sound like a fuel supply issue or carb problem ...

You did not say what HP it was but being 2 cyl 1985 ... lets say a 35 HP or less ... The high speed jet is fixed ... So with that said the only jet that can be adjusted is the low speed ... (BallPark Setting) is close (don't jam) and open 1 1/2 turns ... (Is your vent open on the fuel tank ??) Low adj has no interaction with high speed ...

Could be ign sync (Timing advance is proportional with butterfly opening) ...

Why was the coils, plug wires changed? Were they bad ... You did not mention anything about the Points ... Have they been cleaned ... ! set @ .020 also is the new bulb on the fuel line feeding the right direction ... they have a check valve in them ...

I could go on ... Need more info .... hope this helps .... <'TK><

Last edited by tkwalker; 10-27-2012 at 07:17 PM.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:18 PM

I changed all the things because I plan in having it for awhile and like peace of mind.
Vent is open. Have not done anything with the points.
It is a 20hp..

And the arrow on the primer is pointing towards the engine

Last edited by Jdkxtreme; 10-27-2012 at 10:50 PM.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:26 PM
Owner and Administrator

Smile 20 hp ... <'tk><

Quote:
I changed all the things because I plan in having it for awhile and like peace of mind.
Vent is open. Have not done anything with the points.
It is a 20hp..

And the arrow on the primer is pointing towards the engine
Ign since it fires is probably not the culprit ... Most likely a fuel issue ...

This is what I have found with motors that have set up ... You can clean the carb etc ... But what you have is residual residue that has set up in the fuel lines, filter etc ... And when fresh fuel is reentered in to the system it flushes all of the scale back in to the bowl of the carb ... You need to disconnect the fuel lines and flush with aerasol carb cleaner ... disassemble the carb again and clean it as well remove all jets, bowl etc ... and check filter again ... Oh yes set the float height... <'TK><
Old 10-28-2012, 06:41 PM

Going to ask a silly question here. Does my motor have points?
Old 10-28-2012, 07:49 PM
Owner and Administrator

Smile Points ... <'TK><

Quote:
Going to ask a silly question here. Does my motor have points?
Good question ... Just realized yours does not... Changed over on some models in late 70"s and early 80's ... Went to CDI .. (capacitive discharge Ign ...) I really think you have a fuel issue ... How long did it set up ??? ... The new fuel has flushed your fuel system and released debris I think ... Also stay away from Ethanol .... <'TK><
Old 10-28-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkwalker View Post
Good question ... Just realized yours does not... Changed over on some models in late 70"s and early 80's ... Went to CDI .. (capacitive discharge Ign ...) I really think you have a fuel issue ... How long did it set up ??? ... The new fuel has flushed your fuel system and released debris I think ... Also stay away from Ethanol .... <'TK><
Maybe a year.
Will work on cleaning and replacing the rest of the lines the next couple of days. Thank you not not making me feel like an idiot. There is something about being able to fix your own stuff. If not I will drop it off to you.. HA Ha