FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 07-11-2011, 11:25 AM
fisherman550

Default Mid Caney Fork on Center Hill

Fished mid river yesterday-between Pates Ford and Sligo. Trolled for walleye-got one keeper. The bluegill tore up our worms all day-we used two boxes, all split into at least two parts, some into three parts. Water temp at 86 when we started at 6:30 AM, got up to 94 in a few spots when we quit at 4:30. Going to Floating Mill this afternoon to stay four nights. It's gonna be hot! Will be trolling for walleye in early morning and late afternoon, sitting in air conditioning during mid-day.
Hope to see some of you there. Stop and say hello!
beige and burgandy Alumacraft, red umbrella or top, depending on weather.
Jeff
Old 07-11-2011, 11:56 AM

Default Walleye fishing on Center Hill

Fisherman550, can you explain how you catch walleyes on CH with a little more detail. I live in McMinnville so CH is fairly close but have fished in other area lakes. I would like to learn now to troll for walleyes (what baits, what depths, etc.). Also, is it legal to jug fish at CH?

I have downriggers but prefer not to use for walleyes because smaller fish do not always trip the line releases. I have been using the Snap-Weights from Offshore Tackle and they seem to work very well. Also, have line counter reels.

Thanks,
Old 07-15-2011, 02:55 PM
fisherman550

Aero - I usually try to keep the boat in roughly 20 feet of water and fish both sides of the boat, changing depths a little now and then. I use 8 pound test on my main line with a 3/4 oz. slip sinker. I tie a swivel to the main line below the sinker, then tie 6 pound leader to that. I troll spinner rigs that I make with a nightcrawler on the hook. The leader is one rod length long.
I have a 9.9hp kicker that I just slip in gear and run at idle speed-usually around 1 mph. I let out just enough line to tic the bottom once in a while-don't try to drag the bottom due to hang ups.
I try to spend most of my time on gravel or red clay sloping banks, humps, transition areas, etc. I usually will just drive on past high cliffs and large rocky areas. These areas (I have heard) are pretty good for plug fishing, but I never catch anything on them using my spinners. I also use my electronics a lot-have a HB 998Csi-love it, but am still learning to use it.
Hope this helps some-I'll answer any question as honestly as I can. Not an expert by any means, but I do this a lot. I can only attest to what I do and how I do it.
Jug fishing is legal on the Hill-be sure to put your name, address, and phone number on the jugs though-they will get you if you don't. Also, remember to check the jugs twice a day at the least.