FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 02-01-2011, 07:57 PM

Default Winter Bluegill question

I spend 99% of my time striper fishing, but I do like to fish for bluegill from time to time. I usually catch them in the spring time when they are bedding. A couple of guys on here have posted about catching some pretty decent numbers of winter bluegills and I was wondering how you found them this time of year.

The only really productive winter time bluegill fishing I've done was on Guntersville, fishing the Tennessee River channel edges, using a Kentucky rig and wax worms. Once you found them you could just about start reeling as soon as you weight hit the bottom.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:11 PM

I caught a bunch back a month or so ago. Then, I found them in the river below Old Hickory using a downsized version of a catfishing rig with just enough weight to hold it on the bottom. The bait of choice was half piece of night crawler.

We catch a lot on the lakeside fishing for crappie along bluffs. You just have to fish slow but skip from place to place until you find them. In my experiences they love to hold near rock or rock walls in the winter. Once you find them fish just like you would in the spring just slower and deeper.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairweatherfisherman View Post
I spend 99% of my time striper fishing, but I do like to fish for bluegill from time to time. I usually catch them in the spring time when they are bedding. A couple of guys on here have posted about catching some pretty decent numbers of winter bluegills and I was wondering how you found them this time of year.

The only really productive winter time bluegill fishing I've done was on Guntersville, fishing the Tennessee River channel edges, using a Kentucky rig and wax worms. Once you found them you could just about start reeling as soon as you weight hit the bottom.
Ive got a spot on old hickory lake that you can just about catch all the bluegill you want and nice fat ones at that at just about anytime of the year.Last weekend they were bitting just about anything that i would throw at them but the only thing they would hit on everytime were bait fish cut up into little pieces and all of these fish came out of a spot 25 by 25 feet.Strike King has a little crank bait called a Bisty Minnow several different colors sexy shad seems to work the best for me but you cant beat any of them they work all of the time year round and everything will go after them good luck danny.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:01 PM

Thanks for the info.