FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 01-05-2011, 09:44 PM

Default Stream Plant fishing 1/5/11

I had a break from work and decided to brave the snow and try my luck at the stream plant. I mostly fished skippies for stripers today and moved all around the area. The water is cold around the stream plant and only got in the mid and upper 50's in the canal. I was 1/5 on strikes to fish. Many hits seemed good, but they didn't hook up. The one I landed was a nice fish around 25 to 30 lbs. Unfortunately the fish didn't make it as the circle hook caught in its gills. Fortunately it will be enjoyed for several dinners.

Sorry for the crazy pic, but I was by myself.

The snow as really pretty on the water. The skipjack were biting great and I caught some nice cats on cut shad. Overall a fun day that sure beat working
Old 01-06-2011, 01:21 AM

Nice fish, looks bigger than a 30... You catch it on cut bait or live skippy? Many boats in there?
Old 01-06-2011, 09:29 AM
fineseman09

nice fish mr. jim! maybe i need to learn this striper fishing! looks like it would be a blast!
Old 01-06-2011, 09:55 AM

Great fish man.

I have always wanted to try up there in the winter. I have always been too worried about ramps this time of year. You ever have any problems with ice?
Old 01-06-2011, 10:32 AM

nice fish!
Old 01-06-2011, 04:57 PM

Nice!
Old 01-06-2011, 05:19 PM
Alex

nice fish Jim. what size circle hooks are you guys using and where are you hooking the skippies? what size skippies are you using also? I'm still trying to figure this stuff out.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:52 PM

Thanks all! We are having striper for dinner tonight! My wife is trying out a new recipe. I cant wait.

Travis,

I have not had much problem with ice when launching from Flipper's. The ramps are not steep and in good shape. Plus I have 4 wheel drive and a light boat. Also the water is a little warmer as it is downstream of the steam plant and maybe that helps.

I don't normally try to fish during when it is snowing, but I had a unexpected opening in the work schedule and just went without much planning. Normally, I look for warmer days.

I bet some of the tourney bass folks have more experience with ice at flippers ramp.

Adawes11,

Big circle hooks 8/0 or 9/0 I think. Same one I use for big catfish. As for hook skippies. I do all ways. Under the dorsal and in the lips a lot, sometime other ways depending on what I am doing - Pulling, drifting, balloons, anchored, free lining. All depends on the spot and how much I want them to swim around. Pretty much the same with the shad only much smaller hooks and tackle.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:34 PM

how do you rig your line to fish with the skippys? i mean they fight pretty good when you catch them how do you keep them from swimming all of your line out? weight? how much? weight below your hook or above?