FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 01-03-2011, 12:34 PM
ConverterMan

Default Are the Walley's or Sauger Hitting Yet ?

Does anyone have any info on the Walleye or Sauger Condition on Cumberland River . Around the Gainesboro, Roaring River Area . Thanks for your report .
Old 01-03-2011, 03:33 PM
fineseman09

not sure about that area, but there being caugth on the cumberland near old hickory! should be there too?
Old 01-04-2011, 10:23 AM
ConverterMan

Hey , Whrizob. Thanks for the responce . I was beginning to think nobody was fishing for sauger . I do alot of Fishing on the cumberland river for sauger and was wondering if anybody had started to see any fish being caught . As long as their is a current coming thru you will find some good sauger . I plan on going this friday , I will send a post on what we do .
Old 01-04-2011, 10:28 AM

I caught some quality ones below Old Hickory with a drop shot berkley gulp minnow, but that was a while ago. I heard from a work associate that they were being caught below Old Hickory Dam. You plan on live bait or artificial?
Old 01-04-2011, 11:05 AM

I got a question for you below Old Hickory sauger guys. I am pretty familliar with the river and know that there aren't many real deep areas. However, the sauger seem to come out of the woodwork this time of year.

Where the heck are they in the summer time?

Do the just hang out in depressions on the bottom or something until spawning run?
Old 01-04-2011, 11:48 AM

Sauger prefer deeper water than walleye, so depressions would be a good starting point. That being said, i know a few guys that target them heavily midsummer near the coal-loading area downstream of the gallatin steam plant in 15- 18 ft. They use quarter oz marabou jigs tipped with med tuffies fished in a lift-drop retrieve. I'm guessing the sauger come up into shallow water after sunset to feed on baitfish drawn in by the lights.

Also, creekmouths hold fish. A good spot is near the lock 4 area. Find the lock remains and fish it vertically with minnows, jigs, or minnow-tipped spoons (i like the swedish pimple in silver...1/4 oz-1/2 oz). You can get locked into an eddy there and drift in circles over the area, saves a lot of headache by keeping you over the structure without having to constantly adjust with the trolling motor. This bite can be good day or night.

Chris
Old 01-04-2011, 03:43 PM

I tend to catch them from time to time fishing ledges and humps in the middle of summer on Old Hickory. Some are 5 or 6 ft on top and drop from there. They are mostly main channel ledges we fish so being that close to real deep water has something to do with it.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:08 PM

Sorry guys, I was trying to figure out in the tailwater section of Old Hickory. Do they run all the way back to Cheatham?
Old 01-04-2011, 04:23 PM

In a river, i'd hit outside bends and tributary mouths, especially those that are spring-fed. Look for the usual current obstructions, too. Deeper water, like depressions, is where you'll find them during the day, but they may move shallower at night to feed.