FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 09-12-2016, 08:06 PM

Default Learn from my experience

As Skillet posted, we had a great day on the river Sunday. Well, as we pulled the boat up the ramp there was a weird noise, and my old truck was lugging more than usual. I noticed the drivers side trailer tire looked like it was leaning. I got out at the top of the ramp, and noticed the bearing buddy cap was missing. There was plenty of grease, but the bearings were shattered. Moral of the story is check those bearings. These bearings were just installed a year ago and had plenty of grease. Luckily we got a new set of bearings, and got the boat home. Thank god the wheel didnt come off going down the road. Man what a scary deal..

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Old 09-13-2016, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezelteck View Post
As Skillet posted, we had a great day on the river Sunday. Well, as we pulled the boat up the ramp there was a weird noise, and my old truck was lugging more than usual. I noticed the drivers side trailer tire looked like it was leaning. I got out at the top of the ramp, and noticed the bearing buddy cap was missing. There was plenty of grease, but the bearings were shattered. Moral of the story is check those bearings. These bearings were just installed a year ago and had plenty of grease. Luckily we got a new set of bearings, and got the boat home. Thank god the wheel didnt come off going down the road. Man what a scary deal..

That is true. ... all it takes is a couple of minutes with a floor jack to get the tire off the ground to check freeplay and then spin the tire to hear any roughness or noise... i gotta admit i don't check as often as i used to.

More info about Hendersonville and Old Hickory lake fishing at my site: http://myhendersonvilletn.com/
Old 09-13-2016, 02:03 PM

One of the most important things to remember, ANYTIME you add grease to the bearings, MAKE SURE the wheel and tire are off the ground and you spin them as you grease. Leaving the wheel and tire on the ground and adding grease is the best way to blow the seals out.
Old 09-13-2016, 04:23 PM
Fishing Fool

After helping with this fiasco Sunday, I'm tearing mine down Friday. It's been three years since they've been torn down and inspected good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-13-2016, 06:07 PM

After dealing with this, I'm thinking races and bearings were installed in a hub that needed replaced. There was plenty of grease, the races would not fit tightly in place. Even after driving in new races the inside would spin, and when the spindle nut was tightened down, there was about an 1/8" of play. I had to back out outer race just so it would tighten up, and get her home. I'm probably looking at a new axle on this one. The spindle got scared pretty bad..

Old 09-13-2016, 08:25 PM
nashvillefishingguides.co

Quote:
After dealing with this, I'm thinking races and bearings were installed in a hub that needed replaced. There was plenty of grease, the races would not fit tightly in place. Even after driving in new races the inside would spin, and when the spindle nut was tightened down, there was about an 1/8" of play. I had to back out outer race just so it would tighten up, and get her home. I'm probably looking at a new axle on this one. The spindle got scared pretty bad..

I can see why the spindle got scared! Surprised it wasn't scarred for life by the incident.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:59 PM
Fishing Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by agelesssone View Post
I can see why the spindle got scared! Surprised it wasn't scarred for life by the incident.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:57 PM

That spindle is scared and scarred.. lol

Autocorrect isn't always a friend.

Old 09-13-2016, 10:16 PM

All kidding aside , .. the races should NEVER spin. .. -- for those that in the future are looking for answers.

More info about Hendersonville and Old Hickory lake fishing at my site: http://myhendersonvilletn.com/
Old 09-26-2016, 09:00 AM

I had an axle made for my trailer. MFI Trailers in Winchester, Tennessee has everything anyone needs. MFI set me up with a custom brake axle with hubs, calipers and pads included. I wanted to share this information, for those looking for trailer parts.

Old 09-26-2016, 12:22 PM

Congrads on finding a new axle. I know you are ready to get that baby back on the road.
Old 09-26-2016, 03:04 PM
Fishing Fool

Quote:
I had an axle made for my trailer. MFI Trailers in Winchester, Tennessee has everything anyone needs. MFI set me up with a custom brake axle with hubs, calipers and pads included. I wanted to share this information, for those looking for trailer parts.

Old 09-27-2016, 10:09 AM

Default alternative

Deezle . . . I gotta believe your handle reflects your profession. If so, can you point me in a better direction? I have a 2001 7.3L that cr@pped out on me 2 weeks ago. Thought it was the CPS . . . not. For 2 weeks it's been at the shop, and they still haven't gotten to it.

I don't want to run it down to Murfreesboro (on a flatbed). It needs diagnostics and repair. I'm hoping you might have a shop closer to MJ (Madison).

Thoughts?
Old 09-27-2016, 10:09 PM
Fishing Fool

Check boost addicts on OHB as you cross the Cumberland coming from MJ. Also give more info

Old 09-28-2016, 06:54 PM

Salmon, I don't full time mechanic anymore. But I have family that works for ford, I'll see what he says..

Most definitely hook a scanner to it and see what the codes are.

Last edited by deezelteck; 09-28-2016 at 08:47 PM.