FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 04-14-2012, 04:06 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Default Gills on JPP

Have been told the sand flats on the lower end of lake by dam hold huge Gills this time of year. Anyone have any info on that and if so where would be the places to put a kayak in? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:55 PM

Default Priest Gills

A friend has a slip at four corners marina, we have been tight lining with TM's the last couple weeks and catching some nice crappie and an occasional gill. The crappie have been on average 10 to 12" but the gills have all been 8" to 9" and broad across the back, very impressive. I don't know about the flats but man if you can get into a mess of those hoss's you will have a blast.
I see you've got a couple yaks and it looks like your enjoying them, have you caught any crappie at the Nick lately or are they moved out to the deep?

Have a good one,
Ray
Old 04-17-2012, 06:33 PM
Tennesseejugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphahawk View Post
Have been told the sand flats on the lower end of lake by dam hold huge Gills this time of year. Anyone have any info on that and if so where would be the places to put a kayak in? Thanks in advance.
There is a ramp right there at the dam.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:35 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwielen65 View Post
A friend has a slip at four corners marina, we have been tight lining with TM's the last couple weeks and catching some nice crappie and an occasional gill. The crappie have been on average 10 to 12" but the gills have all been 8" to 9" and broad across the back, very impressive. I don't know about the flats but man if you can get into a mess of those hoss's you will have a blast.
I see you've got a couple yaks and it looks like your enjoying them, have you caught any crappie at the Nick lately or are they moved out to the deep?

Have a good one,
Ray
Thanks for the info Ray. The Crappie are still in the bays at Nickajack....but are more apt to be on the edge of the channel. I have not been lately as I have been staying around close learning how not to kill myself in a kayak...LOL. Seriously though I told myself when I bought these boats I would not do anything stupid. Hope to go to Nickajack on Thursday. Where is Four Corners at?

Regards
Old 04-17-2012, 11:22 PM

Four Corners is too far to paddle to the dam If you also plan to fish.
This link to a JPP map is good:
http://www.lrn.usace.army.mil/op/jpp..._Use_Guide.pdf
One of the safest ramps is in Hamilton Creek at the sail boat marina. There is another past the marina that most use.
I am cautious of using any ramp on the East side of lake due to security issues. Most ramps now have a fee of $5 to park. They are the safest. Cook's on the East side is easily accessible for a kayak without using their ramp. Water on the channel is 2 feet max near shore then drops 80 to 100 ft. There is a cove behind the channel at Cook's and it is sandy. There is a large flat from Cook's point extending almost to Seven Points.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMBOLIE View Post
I am cautious of using any ramp on the East side of lake due to security issues.
That doesn't sound good...can you expand on that?
Old 04-18-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad60 View Post
That doesn't sound good...can you expand on that?

I primarily fish PP at night. I often fish near some of the ramps and have seen lots of suspicious activity on the shore. I have moved from those spots before because of gunfire on the shore. Most ramps near Cooks, Seven Points, Vivrett Creek, etc. are not patrolled heavily enough to be very secure.
I could name several instances of autos being broken into and trailers stolen. Some happened in day light. I know of robberies on the water at night from talking with victims.
Surely you know why some of the areas have been closed. Drugs, homosexuality etc. The latter might result in a stick up I suppose.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
I primarily fish PP at night. I often fish near some of the ramps and have seen lots of suspicious activity on the shore. I have moved from those spots before because of gunfire on the shore. Most ramps near Cooks, Seven Points, Vivrett Creek, etc. are not patrolled heavily enough to be very secure.
I could name several instances of autos being broken into and trailers stolen. Some happened in day light. I know of robberies on the water at night from talking with victims.
Surely you know why some of the areas have been closed. Drugs, homosexuality etc. The latter might result in a stick up I suppose.
Thanks...I just recently got back to the states after being overseas for 18 years straight so I may come off a little naive when I ask some of the questions I ask here.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad60 View Post
Thanks...I just recently got back to the states after being overseas for 18 years straight so I may come off a little naive when I ask some of the questions I ask here.

WELCOME BACK TO THE USA.
In my younger years I took few precautions to avoid danger. I guess God protects us that are ignorant as I was not harmed. Going on 65 now and I may be overly cautious. Still, I want to reach an older age.
I will continue to use areas that are populated or secured.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
One of the last times I fished out of Cooks at night as we approached the ramp to leave there was two guys in the parking lot shooting at each other.

I am sure Percy is a lot better than I give it credit for but after that and having to drive over/around Old Hickory to get to it I decided to just fish OH.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:51 AM

You also have to really watch out around some of the ramps along the Cumby as well between OH Dam and south of Nashville.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:33 PM

Doesnt anyone believe in the second amendment? Ill be damned if some thugs are going to stop me from fishing a particular area. Granted you cant always watch your truck/trailer while on the water...

M.I.R.C.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:01 PM

Bad things can happen anywhere. I've heard of all the same things happening at old hickory and ramps on the river. I'm pretty sure i read in here that a few years back at night a boater was robbing people on the water for fishing gear and money on old hickory. Priest and old hickory are fine during the day. Any ramp, anywhere that you can leave your vehicle and trailer at night can be bad. That's an easy target for a thief because no one is around. Someone could be waiting for you when you get back also. Use discretion at night. Elm hill marina is well lit up, they charge $5 to park, and they have cameras. That scenario is the best option, but i fish out of cooks and seven points at night alot by myself and I've never had any problems, but everytime i pull back up at the ramp I'm praying nobody messed with my stuff.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:13 PM
nashvillefishingguides.co

Default No firearms allowed on Corps of Engineers property?

I was told that firearms are not allowed on Corps property. I believe that covers all of the major impoundments in TN. Is this correct?
Old 04-18-2012, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agelesssone View Post
I was told that firearms are not allowed on Corps property. I believe that covers all of the major impoundments in TN. Is this correct?
If this is true, than no one ever follows it. I see people below dams all the time with holsters outside their pants with pistols in them. You can see it plain as day!