FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 01-28-2015, 08:57 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Default UL tested today

Tested a new UL rod today. It got a great workout. Trout Magnet 2# test SOS Line is an amazing. It took 10 minutes to get this carp in. There was a guy fishing next to me with waders and he netted the fish for me or I would have never got in. The fish made 10 runs each time peeling off 20-30 yards of line. Hard to believe I landed that fish using an UL rod with a .8mm diameter tip. I know a carp is not much to look at but sure are fighters. So here is a fish from yesterday that looks a little better....LOL. Somewhere on TN River.

Regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0981 Carp.jpg (2.12 MB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0977 Smallie.jpg (2.14 MB, 114 views)
Old 01-28-2015, 09:51 PM

Thumbs up

Carp are really fun when hooked and not knowing what's pulling the line.
The Smallie Super nice!!!

Nice Pics and colors from Somewhere on TN River!
Old 01-28-2015, 09:57 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halli View Post
Carp are really fun when hooked and not knowing what's pulling the line.
The Smallie Super nice!!!

Nice Pics and colors from Somewhere on TN River!

I had no clue what it was for the first couple of minutes. Made some fast runs.......that place will be loaded with Smallies in another month.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-28-2015, 10:22 PM

Alpha, it's impressive what you do with 2lb and the light set ups you use. You are the reason I throw 4lb on my Trout magnet set up. Never thought I would go that light but I love it. Next step, 2lb!
Old 01-28-2015, 10:54 PM

When I read the title I thought Merv was testing again.

Way to go Randy. That SOS line would probably test better than 2 lb break strength.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:11 PM

Great read! Thats a good looking smallie, great colors!
So Alpha, you obviously are an ambassador for the U.L. tackle and you certainly put fish in your hands with it. Lol . Is there a specific reason as to why you fish mostly U.L.? I know ya fish alot of TM so do you just get better castability and lure action out of #2 line or is it more for the thrill/fight? ultra clear water makes sense too.
My only experience with #2 line has always been ice fishing which in my opinion there couldnt be a worse application for such light line....that stuff would graze the bottom edge of the hole and snap on a 4" perch. I used it cause that was just what the conditions called for but it was an adjustment when i had to use it.
Just curious is all...a little brain picking! Lol
Old 01-29-2015, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNBronzeback View Post
My only experience with #2 line has always been ice fishing which in my opinion there couldnt be a worse application for such light line....that stuff would graze the bottom edge of the hole and snap on a 4" perch. I used it cause that was just what the conditions called for but it was an adjustment when i had to use it.
Sounds like your ice hole is too small.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:57 AM

Quote:

So Alpha, you obviously are an ambassador for the U.L. tackle and you certainly put fish in your hands with it. Lol . Is there a specific reason as to why you fish mostly U.L.? I know ya fish alot of TM so do you just get better castability and lure action out of #2 line or is it more for the thrill/fight? ultra clear water makes sense too.

If you ask me, the action of the TM on 2 lb is 100 % better than on heavier line. I started with 4 lb, my catches increased dramatically when I went to 2 lb. not to mention you can cast twice as far.

Mike

Mike
Old 01-29-2015, 07:59 AM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMBOLIE View Post
When I read the title I thought Merv was testing again.

Way to go Randy. That SOS line would probably test better than 2 lb break strength.
No doubt Ott. Been reading a lot about UL fishing in Australia...Europe...Africa. One of the reasons they don't like using US market line is for that very reason. The line breaks at a pound or so more than what it is rated.

Regards
Old 01-29-2015, 08:10 AM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
All of the above Bronzeback. It is just a fun way to fish. With these JDM UL rods it makes it even better. You would have to see and fish one of their rods to see just how different. But man I am in love with them....LOL.

Regards
Old 01-29-2015, 08:12 AM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNfisher View Post
If you ask me, the action of the TM on 2 lb is 100 % better than on heavier line. I started with 4 lb, my catches increased dramatically when I went to 2 lb. not to mention you can cast twice as far.

Mike
Was on a website somewhere the other day and saw where they were using line rated at 3/4 of a pound test. I think I will leave that alone....LOL.

Regards
Old 01-29-2015, 08:41 AM
Fishing TN Staff

Great catches Alpha, That had to have been a rush on 2# and that rod. What kind of distance can you cast a Trout Magnet with that setup?
Old 01-29-2015, 09:05 AM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTNKayakAngler View Post
Great catches Alpha, That had to have been a rush on 2# and that rod. What kind of distance can you cast a Trout Magnet with that setup?
I can't really give you a distance in feet but it casts farther than the UL rods I had on hand and they are good rods. I have one Megabass UL I have not even tried yet with the new Torzite guides and also have a Major Craft Truzer with Torzite guides coming.....casting distance is supposed to be a little better with Torzite guides. I want to buy one more rod for largemouth fishing before April. I am getting rid of all my one piece rods. They are making rods there now with a new guide frame called "AGS". Stands for Air Guide System. It is made from carbon fiber and reduces the weight of the rod a lot and increases the sensitivity of rods quite a bit because of the rigidness of carbon fiber is able to transmit feel far better than a titanium frame guide. I can tell you that the sensitivity of these new rods I have fished with is off the scale of any UL rod I have ever fished. While I don't think I will break one of these rods while fishing......as long as I stick with lure and line rating......I can see them getting broke during transport if you aren't careful. I bought a cheap gun case to transport them in and so far so good. I don't have to tell you but high end bass rods are readily available here....but high end Ul rods are sorely lacking. These Ajing type rods Jeremy, with the solid tips, in many cases the fish will hook itself because of the action of the rods....I have already found that out trout fishing with a 7' 4" inch model. I am stoked about these rods.

Regards
Old 01-29-2015, 09:12 AM

Man that's a tank of a Smallmouth!! I'd be ecstatic to catch a 20+" one, very nice! What color TM did it grab?

I feel bad for people who don't hunt and fish. They never get to experience God's creation the way we do.

SUMKINA Bait Company Prostaff
Old 01-29-2015, 09:21 AM

I am gonna need that narrowed down a bit more than "somewhere on the TN river."

Great fish Alpha. The SOS line and TM's fluoro leaders are amazingly tough. I use their leaders with my fly fishing now over "fly specific" brands.