FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 07-30-2019, 12:10 AM

Default Strange Hook Ups

No not that kind! That statement would have a totally different meaning when I was younger. I caught a fish the other night and it blew my mind when I saw how I'd hooked this fish. This fish had the hook from my jig through both of its eyes. I felt a hard thump, set the hook, and when I got this fish in the hook literally went in one eye socket and came out the other. It was almost like I hooked it that way on purpose so I could use it for bait. I felt sorry for the fish because I'm sure it is now blind in both eyes and gonna die. We've all foul hooked a lot of fish but this was the strangest for me. Most of my foul hook ups come on a crankbait.

I'm sure some of you guys have crazier stories than this one so let's here them. What's your crazy and weird foul hook up stories? Also, while we are on the weird stuff topic, what's the craziest stuff you guys have reeled in from the bottom of the lake? I fought a tennis shoe all the way to the boat one time and my buddy was standing there with the net for my "giant" bass. Lol
Old 07-30-2019, 07:29 AM

Got this foul hook up on a diaper last month , worst part is I couldn't shake it off, almost had to cut the line but cutting off a $8 2 tap wasn't an option so I manned up and unhooked it

Hope there were no other boats around as I had to turn my head to the side as to not look at it and was gagging lol
Old 07-30-2019, 07:34 AM
Always Learning

I have caught too many crankbaits on JPP to remember, but my strangest catch was about four years ago. On several occasions I would hook up, again on JPP, and when I finally got the beast to the boat, it was this thin red shiny metal wire. It was not flexible and it would be several yards long. I caught this same thing on several different spots between the bridge and the dam. I always kept it in the boat and would throw it away when I got home, but I'm sure there's more out there. I'm talking about pieces that were 20+ feet long. Craziest thing for me so far.
Old 07-30-2019, 07:35 AM

I don't have a picture but I caught a bat. I was trout fishing off the retaining wall below Dale Hollow at night and hooked a bat as I was bring my line up the wall.
Old 07-30-2019, 12:01 PM

Caught two in one day a few years back. I've also caught large mussels fishing offshore and even caught a shoe one day on a 6XD.
Old 07-30-2019, 12:56 PM

Thumbs up

My very first thing to ever reel in, I was about 4-5 years old, was a small toy foam elephant at Old Hickory Beach.
My Dad had just came back from Vietnam (101st/501st) and took me and my brother there.
Old 07-30-2019, 04:19 PM

Back in 1978 I went fishing a couple miles off of Daytona Bch on a reef in my bosses 40' Chris-craft ... dropped a 2" squid to the bottom and reeled up a 2' octopus. My roommate dropped a squid and came up with a giant hermit conch. In 1988 I went fishing off the jetties Cocoa Bch I think.. had my rod stuck in the rocks only to be yanked into the water... a could hours later I snagged a fishing line where I found at one end a grouper and the other end of the line was my fishing pole I had lost... True story guys. I was fishing with several other guys, so I had witnesses...

This yr I've caught a 1 gal plastic flower pot and that Rock Bass I posted about a couple weeks ago that I caught at CHL... it was hook thru the top of the mouth going in.
Old 07-31-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatline View Post
Back in 1978 I went fishing a couple miles off of Daytona Bch on a reef in my bosses 40' Chris-craft ... dropped a 2" squid to the bottom and reeled up a 2' octopus. My roommate dropped a squid and came up with a giant hermit conch. In 1988 I went fishing off the jetties Cocoa Bch I think.. had my rod stuck in the rocks only to be yanked into the water... a could hours later I snagged a fishing line where I found at one end a grouper and the other end of the line was my fishing pole I had lost... True story guys. I was fishing with several other guys, so I had witnesses...

This yr I've caught a 1 gal plastic flower pot and that Rock Bass I posted about a couple weeks ago that I caught at CHL... it was hook thru the top of the mouth going in.
That's an awesome story about the grouper
Old 07-31-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spottedbass View Post
I don't have a picture but I caught a bat. I was trout fishing off the retaining wall below Dale Hollow at night and hooked a bat as I was bring my line up the wall.
That would give me the heebie Jeebies. I think I would have to cut the line and let the bat have my bait. I don't mind handling animals or reptiles that most wouldn't buy I'm not messing with a bat. No sir!
Old 07-31-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schleprock View Post

Got this foul hook up on a diaper last month , worst part is I couldn't shake it off, almost had to cut the line but cutting off a $8 2 tap wasn't an option so I manned up and unhooked it

Hope there were no other boats around as I had to turn my head to the side as to not look at it and was gagging lol
Nope. Bye Bye 2 tap
Old 07-31-2019, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatline View Post
had my rod stuck in the rocks only to be yanked into the water... a could hours later I snagged a fishing line where I found at one end a grouper and the other end of the line was my fishing pole I had lost... True story guys. I was fishing with several other guys, so I had witnesses...
Wow, that is crazy
Old 07-31-2019, 08:27 PM

Was cat fishing at Rome ramp one night and reeled in a laptop, don’t want to know what was on that hard drive...

Was fishing Caney Fork once after midnight with a friend in kayaks. He was ahead of me and his headlight went dead and was yelling for me to paddle upstream. When I got there he had hooked a large beaver in the tail with a Zara Spook. He didn’t get that lure back though, that joker was thrashing everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-01-2019, 07:45 AM

Just a few weeks ago in St. Joe's bay at Cape San Blas I tossed a topwater over a submerged grass bed and had a big swirl. Hooked into this sea turtle by the front flipper. Never saw him until he hooked up. You would be amazed how fast these things can swim. Luckily I was able to get him in and release him without losing my lure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail_20190718_183539.jpg (305.7 KB, 29 views)