FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 05-26-2017, 12:18 AM

Default OH spawners

I was wondering if you guys ate still catching spawning or prespawn fish on Old Hickory. I caught a 5lber last week that I know for sure was on a bed. I also caught 2 fish today that I think were spawning. The fish in the first picture wasn't very long but very heavy for her length(3lb 6oz) and prespawn looking. She was in a place you would expect a spawning bass to be. The fish in the second picture I caught about an hour later. This fish was almost 2 inches longer but only 2 ounces heavier. It was in a typical post spawn spot. Definitely spawned out. Notice the difference in the belly's of the two.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0808.JPG (1.09 MB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0807.JPG (1.15 MB, 41 views)
Old 05-26-2017, 07:50 AM

Man I wish I could tell ya. Between soccer games, birthday parties and in-laws. I haven't been out in a month and it's driving me nuts!
Old 05-26-2017, 09:06 AM

Texas Rig what are you finding for water clarity? I'm usually in the mid lake area, Avondale, Bluegrass, Cedar Creek typically. Last weekend wasn't bad water quality and I found 71 - 72 water on average. Stayed in the willow grass areas with a buzz bait and chatterbait, caught a few nice chunks but no clear evidence of active spawning.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:27 AM
Fishing Fool

I believe the fish have spawned. Might find a straggler here and there, but very rare with this water temperature. Their tales are the biggest clue. Your bottom fish looks like blood is dripping from its tail, may just be a drop of water that's darkened by a shadow. But it's definitely tattered from spawning. Your top fish has some wear and tear on the tail but is not real bloody.

This picture is of a bass that I believe had just spawned because of how bloody the tail is. This picture was a month ago I believe. I may be wrong as I'm no biologist, but I believe the spawn is done and the big fish that are up shallow still are feeding on bluegills for the most part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-26-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Texas Rig what are you finding for water clarity? I'm usually in the mid lake area, Avondale, Bluegrass, Cedar Creek typically. Last weekend wasn't bad water quality and I found 71 - 72 water on average. Stayed in the willow grass areas with a buzz bait and chatterbait, caught a few nice chunks but no clear evidence of active spawning.
Yesterday I was around Cairo and the water was as clear as I've seen it since early spring. Water temps were 67-69.
Old 05-26-2017, 01:19 PM

Im positive that the vast majority of the spawn is over. I was just wondering if anyone was still seeing any lingering signs. I have been targeting mostly bass that are munching on spawning bluegill and I've caught a few fish that just look really healthy and clean.