FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > General Discussion > Fishing Gear
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 07-04-2018, 03:41 PM

Default Boat advice

Admin delete if not in accordance to the rules...

It doesn't seem I'll ever get hooked up with anyone in the Rome area with a boat or care to go fishing with, so I guess I'm going to have to entertain buy boat of some kind.

I don't have a boat, never had anything bigger then a little sunfish dingy back in the 80's. I realize owning a boat is like owning a horse... money pit, however there has to be a happy median (?)

One of the reasons I have not fished in yrs is because you really need a boat where I live. I mean sure you can cast out, but you are lucky to keep your rig or lure.

For those that fish with a boat, What kind of boat do you have/use. Also other then the obvious soft spots on the floor and rotten transom, What are things to look for ? Would asking to try it out on the waters be unreasonable or should running the motor in a trashcan of water be enough.

I will say a lot of boat owners are on drugs, selling boats that are darn near 30 yrs old for what they went for brand new...
I've thought about canoes, but they want almost as much as a Jon boat... but seen decked out Jon boats almost as much as older model bass boats for as little as $2000 and plenty of bass boats aprox 1998 models from $2500 to $6000 (has to be on crack for 6 grand for a 30 yr old boat).

I've thought about aluminum flat bottom for stability vs V bottom.. 12'r ... Where a nice 14' fiberglass would allow me walk around, place to store the gear..

The biggest deterrent for buying a boat is the fact I'd only be using it for once or twice a month and some months, not at all. So you see my reluctance to spend any serious money.
I guess I'm looking for ideas and what a fair price range should be.

Also, I'd hate to hook on to a monster cat while trying to steady a canoe while not be dragged around the Cumberland river... LOL
Old 07-04-2018, 05:17 PM

I understand, I went to bass pro a few years back and purchased a 15’ tracker flat bottom jon topper for a little over a grand including trailer. Then a 10 hp Tohatsu 4 stroke barely used for 800 and haven’t regretted it for a minute.

I mainly fish rivers for trout and occasionally bass fish. But can leave it out in the elements for weeks if need be with no issues.

If I had a lot of cash, heck I would have 3 different types of boats, I just looked at the amount of time I would be fishing and location/waterway and it was simple.

Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk