FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 09-14-2018, 12:32 PM

Arrow Bass are Still Deep!

Yesterday we only had a couple of hours to fish, so we headed out in Station Camp by the house to see if we could limit out in that short amount of time. We fished black & white buzzbaits in the grass, No Takers! I decided to go look on the flats in 10' for any schools, No Takers! It wasn't until we got into 13' - 23' that we found some. We proceeded to pick them off with a Green Pumpkin Dream Shot, & a Watermelon Senko on a Carolina rig. We both had our limits pretty quickly. They would not respond to the deep diving crankbait BTW. It was getting late so we stopped by a couple of docks on the way in and picked up 2 or 3 more on a Junebug Cut-R Worm. These docks were sitting in 23' of water. Makes me wonder, when will I ever get a grass bite? Or anything shallow for that matter...

Old 09-14-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
Yesterday we only had a couple of hours to fish, so we headed out in Station Camp by the house to see if we could limit out in that short amount of time. We fished black & white buzzbaits in the grass, No Takers! I decided to go look on the flats in 10' for any schools, No Takers! It wasn't until we got into 13' - 23' that we found some. We proceeded to pick them off with a Green Pumpkin Dream Shot, & a Watermelon Senko on a Carolina rig. We both had our limits pretty quickly. They would not respond to the deep diving crankbait BTW. It was getting late so we stopped by a couple of docks on the way in and picked up 2 or 3 more on a Junebug Cut-R Worm. These docks were sitting in 23' of water. Makes me wonder, when will I ever get a grass bite? Or anything shallow for that matter...

Job job Adrian and Mrs Adrian
Old 09-14-2018, 01:37 PM

Thanks jaybird! We're doing all we can
Old 09-14-2018, 02:49 PM

Good work. At 0400 this morning there was topwater action a-plenty on the main lake points, north side of channel, east of Drakes Creek, all the way to Bluegrass. Threw a bone color Pop-R and Devils Horse. Nothing was busting the surface but there were pods of shad minnows on each point and evidently the bass were hunting them like coyote packs. Launched at Avondale and the trip down to the mouth of Drakes was interesting in the pitch black darkness. Damn near hit a bouy can, thank god for GPS and good maps.
Old 09-14-2018, 03:48 PM

Those are some nice ones. What did those 5 weigh?
Old 09-14-2018, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Good work. At 0400 this morning there was topwater action a-plenty on the main lake points, north side of channel, east of Drakes Creek, all the way to Bluegrass. Threw a bone color Pop-R and Devils Horse. Nothing was busting the surface but there were pods of shad minnows on each point and evidently the bass were hunting them like coyote packs. Launched at Avondale and the trip down to the mouth of Drakes was interesting in the pitch black darkness. Damn near hit a bouy can, thank god for GPS and good maps.
I think what I hear you saying is I have to get my lazy a$$ out of bed to catch some grass bass...
Old 09-14-2018, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spottedbass View Post
Those are some nice ones. What did those 5 weigh?
Thanks. I told her she had a 25 pound bag, but only if the bag weighed 12 pounds by itself
Old 09-14-2018, 07:01 PM

Quote:
You've got more cajones than I do. I run all over lakes all night long. OH will never be a lake I will run at night. A good map and a little lake knowledge will keep you in tge channel and away from bouys but floating logs are a whole nother thing. The only time I have ever ran the Hick in the dark was one evening a couple years ago. I was fishing out of Cairo and running up towards 231. I had just enough time to make it back before dark. On my way back I noticed a ski boat floating in the channel. I stopped and they were dead in the water. I towed them a few miles back to their dock in spring creek. It was dark by the time I got them tied up. On my way back I hit 2 logs and had broken my skeg.

Unless it's for unseeable circumstances like this I'll never do it again.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:03 PM

Quote:

Way to keep at it. I took this week off from fishing but OH is on my radar. Plan on putting some time in the next couple weeks. Just looking for some cooler weather.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
I think what I hear you saying is I have to get my lazy a$$ out of bed to catch some grass bass...
Actually I was in 12-14’ casting to maybe 5’ Depth, minimal cane grass in the area. The thing about those points that are in areas that lead back into the sloughs is that there are stumps from large cut timber and the baitfish gravitate to those areas. A squarebill crankbait is a great option when the shad minnows are balled up. However I didn’t take time to rig one up. It was too much fun with what I had rigged on deck.
Old 09-15-2018, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rig View Post
Way to keep at it. I took this week off from fishing but OH is on my radar. Plan on putting some time in the next couple weeks. Just looking for some cooler weather.
The weather hasn't been the problem for me, it's the release schedule. The TVA says 2 or more generators, then I get out there and there's nothing moving. It's screwed me 2 out of the last 3 trips!
Old 09-15-2018, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Actually I was in 12-14’ casting to maybe 5’ Depth, minimal cane grass in the area. The thing about those points that are in areas that lead back into the sloughs is that there are stumps from large cut timber and the baitfish gravitate to those areas. A squarebill crankbait is a great option when the shad minnows are balled up. However I didn’t take time to rig one up. It was too much fun with what I had rigged on deck.
I just want some top water action. For us, that has not come at dusk. Maybe a morning fish is in order.