FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > General Discussion > Fishing Gear
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 11-13-2016, 11:44 AM

Default Humminbird 698SI

I finally broke down and picked up a real steal on a side imaging unit and thought I could get some positioning advice here. I know the bigger screens are better and recommended, but I'll work with this one until the prices get down there in a few years, they are moving fast. This one is just huge compared to anything I've ever had. Question is do I want to mount this one on my transom/Cockpit display and leave my down imaging on the front/TM where I currently have it???? I still have the old base model cheapo unit that came on my Nitro on the transom/cockpit display. My boat is 11 yrs old but I hate to put a hole in the transom. It came with the transom mount in the box but I did find an aftermarket mount and protector that looks like it will mount this on TM. Can't wait to play with the new toy. Thanks in advance for the input.
Old 11-13-2016, 07:15 PM

I struggled the same...broke down and drilled larger holes up front for my new color unit. Plan it carefully, I put a DSI/HDI up front for vertical imaging. Save the cockpit for the large super structure/side scan unit when you have the Jackson's.

Last edited by notorious; 11-13-2016 at 07:36 PM.
Old 11-18-2016, 06:09 AM

There are a couple of "glue on" devices aka Transom Saver that you glue the mounting block on to the hull with epoxy and then mount the TD to the mounting block.

I used one on a tin hull and it worked great. You just have to scuff up the FG and glue it on, no holes to drill except into the mounting block.
Old 11-18-2016, 04:35 PM

Fish Addict - Do you have a jack plate? I mounted my rear transducers with the brackets screwed to the jack plate rather than the boat transom.
Old 11-20-2016, 01:39 PM

No jack plate, but that glue on device sounds interesting. I just want this on by Feb. Thanks for the input all,