FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 05-05-2012, 02:47 PM

Default Cast nets??

So I am thinking about purchasing a cast net. I was wondering what size to get. I will mostly be throwing from shore or a kayak. Also what size holes to get? 1/4" or 3/8" And i see they have mono mesh or nylon mesh. I have never thrown one. So will have to learn how to throw it.

I also head to Florida fishing about 4-6 times a year. So I would want to use it down there on the flats and in the surf to get bait.

Thanks
Old 05-05-2012, 03:14 PM

I use a 3.5' diameter net with 3/8" mesh. I have no problem throwing it from a seated position in my kayak. It takes practice, though. Look up "throwing a cast net from a kayak" on YouTube, there are some great tutorials there.

For saltwater, I would recommend a 6' or bigger net with 1/4" mesh, but you'll need to stand to throw it, especially if you have to get some distance on the toss. I use my mine mainly when shad are bunched up (I use my depthfinder more than my net, pointless to throw a cast net over empty water). From the bank, I use it only below old hickory dam when the shad are tight to the bank.

Chris
Old 05-06-2012, 09:59 AM

If you are netting shad only, get a 3/8" mesh. It will sink faster and throw a little better. If you are going to use it to catch creek minnows or shiners for smallmouth, you will need a 1/4" mesh. The 3/8" mesh is no good for creek minnows because their heads will go through the holes and they'll get stuck in the net. You usually can't get them loose without killing them.

I prefer mono mesh over nylon twine mesh. The nylon twine does have a couple advantages - it is limper than monofilament, which makes it throw a little better and open and close a little better. However, mono sinks faster, and it makes for a much lighter net because mono doesn't absorb water like nylon twine does. This doesn't sound like a big deal, but believe me - if you're throwing your net a lot, you'll want the lightest one you can get. Also, mono mesh isn't as visible in the water. Some people say this makes the mono net more effective - I don't know. I mostly use my net in very shallow water, and the splashdown of the net scatters the baitfish regardless of how visible the net is. On the other hand, if you're netting bait in deep water, the visibility of the net might make a big difference.

For your first net, I'd recommend getting a 3.5' or 4' net. It will be much easier to learn with a small net. Once you get good with throwing the net, you can upsize to a 6' or larger net, and it will be more effective because you scoop up bait over a larger area.

bd
Old 05-06-2012, 12:29 PM
Tennesseejugger

I use an 8 ft netand even have a 10 footer but I think it is illegal to use in Tennessee. I am Originally from Fla. So I have been throwing nets every since I was 10 years old. I t does not matter how big your first net is, its all about learning to throw it. Go to youtube, there are several tutorials on throwing a cast net and the majority are teaching you with larger nets. Do not waste your money on a 4 ft net that you will eventually want to upgrade in just a few short weeks!
Old 05-06-2012, 09:23 PM

Tennesseejugger, your 10 foot net is fine in Tennessee.

A ten foot radius is the maximum legal size, so it couldn't be any bigger. However, a 10' net is legal as long as the mesh is no smaller than 1/4 inch.

I couldn't imagine throwing a net with more than a 10' radius anyway. That's a 20 foot diameter - that's covering a whole lot of water when it opens up.

bd
Old 05-07-2012, 06:20 AM
Tennesseejugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd- View Post

A ten foot radius is the maximum legal size, so it couldn't be any bigger. However, a 10' net is legal as long as the mesh is no smaller than 1/4 inch.

I couldn't imagine throwing a net with more than a 10' radius anyway. That's a 20 foot diameter - that's covering a whole lot of water when it opens up.

bd
Yeah it took me awhile to learn how to throw it, I usually take it and use it when I go to Fl to catch finger mullet and pin fish for bait.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:54 PM
Stream Smallmouth Guide

I agree with bd. I like the multifilament nets from Memphis Net and Twine.
a 3.5 opens to 7 from them. I have bought many(to many) nets over the years and this product hold up best and repair easier. The multifilament also does not hurt the delicate minnows as much as a solid mono net.
Mike
Old 05-12-2012, 05:49 PM
Owner and Administrator

Smile 20 foot Rad Cast nets ... <'TK><

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd- View Post

bd
That is why I have two torn rotor cuffs now <'TK><
Old 05-13-2012, 08:22 AM
Stream Smallmouth Guide

Tk I feel your pain myself and I throw just a six footer. Now it did not help playing volleyball for 25 years either. 20 throws a day and that is my limit. Of course if the smallies are biting, like they were Friday then it sometimes takes more to catch 200 to 300 creekminnows. Ice was a wonderful thing after 10 hours on the creek Friday night. Will have a few pics up in a day or two.
Mike
Old 05-13-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkwalker View Post
That is why I have two torn rotor cuffs now <'TK><
I think Fred McClintock messed up his shoulder throwing a cast net too, if I remember correctly. They are definitely tough on shoulders.

bd