FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 03-24-2018, 08:10 AM

Default JPP thoughts

I have a few thoughts on the bass fishing on JPP right now, and if any of you guys have spent time there in the last few weeks I would like your opinions on this as well. I personally think that about 3 weeks ago a small group of bass moved up and spawned. The water temps were right there at that 58-60 mark for about a week. I was catching some really fat females and a bunch of males in areas I would expect fish to spawn. Then the last couple of weeks it seemed more like males with an occasional bigger female. Friday I fished and caught plenty but mostly males and several of them looked skinny and beat up. Yesterday I caught plenty of fish again up shallow but most were 2.5-3lb females that were fat and looked very fresh. You could tell by their color that they had just moved up. I think and hope that a new wave of fish have moved up and it's gonna get good again. To summerize, I think I've been fishing a pattern that was going away but saw signs yesterday that make me think that pattern is heating up again. Thoughts? BTW guys if your not throwing a buzzbait on JPP right now then you owe it to yourself to try when the conditions are right. I've been throwing a 1/2ounce war eagle with a silver blade. I have taken the skirt of and put a swim bait on it. If you do put a swimbait on there then I would suggest glueing it to the head and it will save you a lot of baits and a lot of adjusting.

Last edited by Texas_Rig; 03-24-2018 at 08:26 AM.
Old 03-24-2018, 12:10 PM
Sunfish Assassin

I agree Texas rig in the last days of February the water temp almost hit the 60 degree mark which I haven't seen since moving here 7 years ago
Old 03-24-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnCreekMaster View Post
I agree Texas rig in the last days of February the water temp almost hit the 60 degree mark which I haven't seen since moving here 7 years ago
I am also seeing a lot of fry in the backs of the pockets. So some kind of fish has definitely spawned already.
Old 03-24-2018, 04:36 PM

Exclamation

I think anyone Whom fishes Old Hickory should not be wasting time there but should be focusing Heavy and hard on Percy Priest as that is the current go to always giving up species of every kind of Fish!
Old 03-24-2018, 09:01 PM
Bank Fisher

I went out this morning with a buddy. It was a grind. He caught 5 - I caught 1 but had a good time.

Last week I had a drum hit a Chatter-Bait which my buddy said seemed strange but he thought perhaps it might be spawn-related. Was a fun catch nonetheless.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:23 PM
Sunfish Assassin

Nice ones those drum this time of the year are aggressive as well as the cats they are putting on the feedbag!
Old 03-24-2018, 11:25 PM
ALANRAYG2

I went to Priest this past Thursday crappie fishing. It was a grind for us but let me cut to the chase. We had 3 keeper crappie. 2 females and one male. All caught in different areas of the river. The male was a black crappie sporting breeding colors. The 2 females were almost spawned out with only a few eggs in them. We did hook into a few bass too. They were right on the bank. I think the spawn is on and off and back on. We need to get some constant water temps then it will be on like donkey kong.
Old 03-25-2018, 12:09 AM

I fished Friday -- every fish I caught was "fresh" and up shallow. Crankbait on chuck rock/45 deg banks seemed the most popular. Above Fate was really dirty. Around Poole Knob was much clearer and much more productive. I also caught two quality fish that managed to get themselves caught on rocks right by the boat. This in the span of like 10 minutes. Lost both of them. They weren't hogs but big enough that I couldn't horse them in hence playing 'em a little by the boat. My biggest was around 4 caught off the channel ledge between Fate and the island off of Poole Knob. There's a sand bar that is currently visible with a few stumps. Water literally goes from 15 to 2 feet. Chartreuse/black back squarebill in between the stumps and boom. Shocked that spot wasn't fished out by noon. I was the only boat at Poole Knob -- that alone was worth the trip.
Old 03-25-2018, 12:11 AM

And you crappie guys owe me. Found a horse floating on the surface and figured it was dead. Got closer and it was choking on a big bluegill. Took the bluegill out with pliers and the crappie swam away. Keep that gene pool going!
Old 03-25-2018, 08:06 AM

Thanks, 👍🏼
Old 03-25-2018, 11:29 AM

https://www.tn.gov/content/tn/twra/f....html#spawning

TWRA info on spawning temps.
Old 03-25-2018, 11:50 AM
Owner and Administrator

Smile Great .. <'TK><

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishAddict View Post
Thanks FA, I'll post this as a sticky at the top of the forum page .. <'TK><
Old 03-25-2018, 04:05 PM