FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 01-14-2012, 09:49 PM
Tennesseejugger

Default Tennessee Rig!

For about 5 bucks and a trip to lowes I made my own Tennessee rig, I also made some Alabama Rigs to use in Ala and Ky. Beats $18.00 or $19.00.

Last edited by Tennesseejugger; 05-02-2012 at 12:29 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:21 AM

According to BASS those are illegal in Tennessee, did something change?
Old 01-15-2012, 03:13 AM
LQQKING FOR STRIPE'S

Very nice job........
Old 01-15-2012, 06:57 AM

The YouTube video Rick McFerrin posted a link to in his new thread gives a definitive answer on the Tn/Alabama/umbrella rig confusion about what's legal/illegal and why.

Chris
Old 01-15-2012, 08:42 AM
Tennesseejugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishaholic View Post
According to BASS those are illegal in Tennessee, did something change?
The five wire rig aka Alabama rig is illegal in Tn. The three wire three bait is legal in Tn. If anyone wants one of these I will make you one for $10.00 plus shipping!
Old 01-15-2012, 03:43 PM

I just watched that other video and it clarifies everything, sorry for the confusion on my end
Old 01-15-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseejugger View Post
The five wire rig aka Alabama rig is illegal in Tn. The three wire three bait is legal in Tn.
Incase someone see's this but not the video link. You can use the Alabama Rig in TN. You can only have 3 baits with hooks on it total and the other two wires have to be bare or use the center wire with a hook then the others have to be baits without hooks.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:05 PM

I hope TWRA looks at revising their restrictions in this area, because the whole thing is more confusing than it ought to be.

The original concern was umbrella rigs with multiple baits catching multiple stripers at a time.

Since that's the case, the "three hook maximum" ought to be the beginning and end of the regulation, in my opinion. In other words, I think it goes beyond what's necessary to prohibit a rig that has 3 hooks and 2 dummy lures.

If you limit the number of hooks, you limit the number of fish you can catch at any given time, regardless of the number of dummy baits.

bd
Old 01-16-2012, 12:56 PM

I agree, bd, although I think limiting the total number of baits, dummy or otherwise, to 3 makes it easier for field officers to check the rigs since they don't have to look for hooks, just baits. An example would be using 5 Storm swim shads with 2 of the baits having clipped hooks...a close inspection would be needed whereas 3 baits can be verified from a distance. Of course, this is just my opinion.

I have a question, though. Do sabiki/piscator rigs fall into the umbrella rig regulation ? I use them, mostly with size 8-6 hooks, but have seen some with hooks up to size 2. Also, if you rig up multiple lures, like flies or tx-rigged soft plastic jerk baits on droppers, would the current regulations limit you to no more than 3 ?

Chris

Last edited by txnative; 01-16-2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd- View Post
I hope TWRA looks at revising their restrictions in this area, because the whole thing is more confusing than it ought to be.

The original concern was umbrella rigs with multiple baits catching multiple stripers at a time.

Since that's the case, the "three hook maximum" ought to be the beginning and end of the regulation, in my opinion. In other words, I think it goes beyond what's necessary to prohibit a rig that has 3 hooks and 2 dummy lures.

If you limit the number of hooks, you limit the number of fish you can catch at any given time, regardless of the number of dummy baits.

bd
I think they will revise it this year. It just happens to be on the books this way now and they have to go by it until its amended or completely changed.

If you use 3 crankbaits there are quite a few hooks. But since they describe a "bait" as (1) being how it came out of the package regardless of it's number of hooks thats legal.

As the year goes on look for it to change probably next spring.

I have even seen a "fly" version with 5 arms and non-weighted wooly buggers. Supposed it works really well and can be casted relatively easy. Hard to imagine though.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:17 PM

I have never thrown that rig but it seems like you would have to have a broomstick for a rod and heavy line. I fish for hybrids with 10 lb line and a 7 foot medium fast action rod. Have yet to have 1 break off if your drag is set right. I know some people will say that puts more stress on the fish but that is what makes it fun for me. There is a video on You Tube from Kevin Van Dam about using a 2 bait fluke rig I may try but really not interested in the umbrella rig. If the fish are there I prefer to catch them one at a time. JMO
Old 01-16-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txnative View Post
I have a question, though. Do sabiki/piscator rigs fall into the umbrella rig regulation ? I use them, mostly with size 8-6 hooks, but have seen some with hooks up to size 2. Also, if you rig up multiple lures, like flies or tx-rigged soft plastic jerk baits on droppers, would the current regulations limit you to no more than 3 ?

Chris
I don't think so due to what I said just previously. They way it is defined is how the bait is packaged. If it is 5 jigs in a single sabiki package then its considered (1) bait. As opposed to taking a jig then tying off of the shank adding a jig then it becomes (2) baits.

That is why I believe it will get changed to be more clearer next spring.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:21 PM

Thanks, I remember that being said in the vid now. I'm starting to warm up to the AL rig, but still can't quite bring myself to wanting to cast something so odd-looking...hard to argue with its' effectiveness, though.

Chris
Old 01-16-2012, 02:33 PM

I agree on its success but I won't ever fish with it. Just a personal preference.

Here is a video that is a must watch if you are interested in using it. This guy from the Everstart series breaks it down and gives his take be ways to fish it but also warns from taking what anyone says as absolute truth on how to fish it because its so new.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWWB3pFYCQg
Old 01-16-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis C. View Post
I don't think so due to what I said just previously. They way it is defined is how the bait is packaged.
I'm not sure that packaging would save you with a sabiki rig, since it's basically multiple "lures" joined by a monofilament leader. If packaging was the end of the story, you could just package a complete umbrella rig and loophole the law.

The reason sabiki rigs are legal is that the Rule only prohibits multiple rigs with hooks size 6 or larger. Most sabiki rigs have hooks that are smaller than a #6.

If you're using a sabiki rig with hooks that are #6 or larger, I think you could get into trouble if you've got more than 3 "lures" on your rig.

As far as rigging up multiple flies or jerk baits, you are limited to three unless you use hooks smaller than #6.

bd

Last edited by bd-; 01-16-2012 at 02:35 PM.