FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 03-31-2015, 12:42 PM

Default Question for Jim or Gaspergou.

Hey Jim or Dave,

Where can I find a good source or information of the spawning run of freshwater Drum? Call me absolutely crazy but I have an itch to catch these fish and want to get more info.

They are so much fun to catch on fly gear and regular gear.

Thanks in advance!

Travis
Old 03-31-2015, 02:30 PM

Used to catch them all the time on the cumberland. Caught them on live minnows, plastic worms, crankbaits. That's the place to go if you are looking for them. We'd catch them in the middle of summer, not sure when they are concentrated in some sort of spawning run though.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:27 PM

If you know where small mouth are the drums will be near by.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:55 PM

I have caught them in the Cumberland, Percy, OH and one below Center Hill Dam that was a monster of a fish. It went 40" or better.

Typically though they seem to be scattered with no rhyme or reason. Just wondering if there was a pattern to them or if they can be targeted specifically.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:38 PM

Travis - Drum or Bigmouth Buffalo? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bigmouth_buffalo
http://www.amazon.com/Fishing-Buffal.../dp/0929636058

In Fisherman is your friend - http://www.in-fisherman.com/other-fi...eshwater-drum/
Old 03-31-2015, 08:49 PM

There's not a distinct run like you see with suckers (btw, the smallmouth & black buffalo run is on right NOW!). Spawning aggregations seem to be more fleeting and spread over a longer period in early summer than some studies would suggest.

Sambolie nailed the best pattern -- fish larger rivers like you were fishing for smallmouth. Sight fishing for them can be extremely challenging on fly. I've got a couple good options for that, but would prefer discussing that over PM...
Old 03-31-2015, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspergou View Post
There's not a distinct run like you see with suckers (btw, the smallmouth & black buffalo run is on right NOW!). Spawning aggregations seem to be more fleeting and spread over a longer period in early summer than some studies would suggest.

Sambolie nailed the best pattern -- fish larger rivers like you were fishing for smallmouth. Sight fishing for them can be extremely challenging on fly. I've got a couple good options for that, but would prefer discussing that over PM...
Hoping to catch a few smallies myself this weekend. Thanks for the tip.
I have caught a few Drum on the fly but in a feeder creek setting not quite "big" river yet.

Could a productive pattern with gear be drifting a river setting say Cumberland with live crayfish?

Thanks on the PM offer but I would like to just dig around myself just needed a better idea of what I am chasing. Appreciate it though.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis C. View Post
Hoping to catch a few smallies myself this weekend. Thanks for the tip.
I have caught a few Drum on the fly but in a feeder creek setting not quite "big" river yet.

Could a productive pattern with gear be drifting a river setting say Cumberland with live crayfish?

Thanks on the PM offer but I would like to just dig around myself just needed a better idea of what I am chasing. Appreciate it though.
Travis, I have never targeted drum, however, when night fishing they seemed to target me and my partner.
Black fly and rind has always produced. Spinner baits have also worked.

My father and I have caught many while smallie fishing at Joe Wheeler. Usually carried a couple (each trip) to a gentleman who liked them.