FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > General Discussion > Sports Lounge - General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 09-09-2017, 08:57 PM

Default Black Boat/Water Spots

Mixed a 50/50 distilled white vinegar & water mixture to clean the hard water scum build-up off the boat this evening. It really takes it off effortlessly and leaves it super shiny!
Got me a fresh can of Turtle Wax ICE paste wax and a buffing wheel and a few different bonnets. That should do a decent job of keeping it fairly polished right? I know i SHOULD spray it down and wipe it off after i take it out of the water everytime to keep the build up off.
Gotta get this beast ready and looking good for the river this fall/winter. Lol.
Hopefully the vinegar smell wont stick around long. Its a little stout smelling, but it works better than any store bought product ive tried. Windex would work a little, but took alot of scrubbing. No black boats for me again. Lol
Old 09-11-2017, 08:12 AM

Is your boat fiberglass or alum?
Old 09-11-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spottedbass View Post
Is your boat fiberglass or alum?
Its aluminum. Black gloss paint with sticker "graphics".
Old 09-11-2017, 06:19 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNBronzeback View Post
Mixed a 50/50 distilled white vinegar & water mixture to clean the hard water scum build-up off the boat this evening. It really takes it off effortlessly and leaves it super shiny!

Got me a fresh can of Turtle Wax ICE paste wax and a buffing wheel and a few different bonnets. That should do a decent job of keeping it fairly polished right? I know i SHOULD spray it down and wipe it off after i take it out of the water everytime to keep the build up off.

Gotta get this beast ready and looking good for the river this fall/winter. Lol.

Hopefully the vinegar smell wont stick around long. Its a little stout smelling, but it works better than any store bought product ive tried. Windex would work a little, but took alot of scrubbing. No black boats for me again. Lol

I have aluminum boat.....battleship grey with black graphics. I keep it wiped down religiously....that doesn't make me better or worse than anyone else....LOL. I use a wet towel to wipe down first.....then I use Ice spray detailer to take off the water spots before they have time to set. It is same with my motor....black Mercury. When I get home I use Ice spray wax and wipe it down again. While the bottom of the hull is scratched up as I do beach it having to launch by myself 95 percent of the time the boat still looks brand new. I have thought about trying a sealant on the boat.....just goes on like wax.....and see how it does. I can only imagine how tough it is to keep water spots off a black paint job.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-11-2017, 08:32 PM

The vinegar really cuts it easily. I used a "scratch free" kitchen scouring pad. It did leave some super fine scratches but they may buff out when i wax it....if not, no biggie. I just cleaned down to the water line. I will put the ice wax on it then try to remember to wipe it down. Lol.
My next mission is the glass windshield. Even with rainex on it, i still get water spots. I mainly put it on there for spray and rain so i can see through it. That glass walk through windshield can be in the way sometimes, but it has been worth it more times than not when its pouring down or blazing sun along with the help of the bimini top. Lol
Old 09-11-2017, 09:32 PM
Dakota S

Try a magic eraser I use it and it takes off just about anything. You can get the thicker version made for boats called the wipeout eraser online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-11-2017, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Try a magic eraser I use it and it takes off just about anything. You can get the thicker version made for boats called the wipeout eraser online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I never hearr of those....i will check em out. Thanks!
Old 09-12-2017, 07:29 AM

Quote:
My next mission is the glass windshield. Even with rainex on it, i still get water spots. I mainly put it on there for spray and rain so i can see through it. That glass walk through windshield can be in the way sometimes, but it has been worth it more times than not when its pouring down or blazing sun along with the help of the bimini top. Lol
I never liked Rainex. Use the clear Turtle Wax Ice. It is in a spray bottle.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMBOLIE View Post
I never liked Rainex. Use the clear Turtle Wax Ice. It is in a spray bottle.
Thanks for the info! i will give that a shot!
Old 09-12-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the info! i will give that a shot!
You need to remove all RainX possible first. Vinegar should work and will clean the window as well.

As with any suggestion. Try the ICE on a small spot first to see if you like it.

I have also used regular car polish/wax on my exterior car windows. Use ICE on my home windows. Water sheets off when washed.